Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Suarez to start ST game at SS

Re: Suarez to start ST game at SS

Not sure how they are going to score more runs than they give up, to repeat what I wrote when I learned whom was going to play the most significant defensive position. Sure it is one game and Suarez will assuredly be better, but it is easy to see the problem with playing him there.

If they had just dealt with their self induced problem by dealing Senzel for a true SS, it would have solved two current problems. Will anyone want to deal for Moustakas even if he rakes? Unlikely. What do they do now, sell high on India or just muddle through the season?

2. Likes:

REDREAD (04-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Once we had a low cost (currently 2.1 mil Angels) sure handed slick fielding, lifetime .278 hitting "true" SS named Jose Iglesias on the roster. Unfortunately we'll just "muddle" through a season as usual.

Good day for Saurez.

Looked good today. Some nice plays.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by NO PEPPER View Post
    Once we had a low cost (currently 2.1 mil Angels) sure handed slick fielding, lifetime .278 hitting "true" SS named Jose Iglesias on the roster. Unfortunately we'll just "muddle" through a season as usual.
    Let’s continue muddling away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let’s continue muddling away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I mean I'm with everyone on the outrage at not acquiring a REAL SS this offseason. But I will never understand the hand-wringing over wanting to have kept Iglesias. I still feel like it's the "settling for table scraps" option, no matter what his numbers were in 60 games last year.

We needed to improve the SS position offensively even when he was on the team in 2019, so I'd rather see a boom or bust trial like Suarez there than another Iglesias.

at least for last night (and i hope it sticks) and from the game thread that bears repeating....

I’d like to extend my deepest thanks to the clubhouse assistant who sacrificed a chicken to get rid of the jinx on Suarez’s glove
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

10. Likes:

M2 (04-07-2021),Old school 1983 (04-07-2021),SirFelixCat (04-14-2021),WrongVerb (04-07-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    at least for last night (and i hope it sticks) and from the game thread that bears repeating....

I’d like to extend my deepest thanks to the clubhouse assistant who sacrificed a chicken to get rid of the jinx on Suarez’s glove
    I thought it was a live rooster. Either way, candlesticks make a nice wedding gift.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

sdwagers (04-07-2021),SirFelixCat (04-14-2021)

At the plate, Suarez seems to be the only Red not buying into the line drive plan. He still swinging for his 50 Hrs and 200 K's

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-07-2021),wally post (04-07-2021)

"Defense is less important than in the past with all the strikeouts," one American League executive said. "Yes, we should be able to put traditionally worse defenders in the infield. How much worse? I don't know."

That is the question. How much can teams get away with? Suarez made his fourth error of the season Monday at Arizona. He owns a .892 fielding percentage. That's a great conversion percentage for a shooter at the free-throw line, but not for a shortstop. Excluding last year's shortened season, there hasn't been a qualified shortstop to post a sub-.900 fielding percentage in more than a century.
    https://www.thescore.com/news/2152818

16. Likes:

BillDoran (04-14-2021),REDREAD (04-14-2021)

I think what people aren't seeing here is Suarez at SS allows the Reds to play India at 2nd and play Moose at 3rd - his natural position. I'll agree that this infield isn't going to make anyone forget the 99 Mets but for those who were pining for Didi, I saw him in a game last night where he mishandled a couple of balls in the same inning which led to the Mets coming back and winning the game. So the grass may not necessarily be greener on the other side of the fence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

GAC (04-16-2021),Ron Madden (04-14-2021)

The Reds are conducting an experiment that may change the game defensively
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/21...me-defensively

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-17-2021),PuffyPig (04-17-2021),Red Raindog (04-17-2021),RED VAN HOT (04-16-2021)

We are starting to get a larger sample on Geno and it's not good.

If you like OAA, dead last among SS
    If you like dWAR, dead last among SS
    If you like DRS, tied for last among SS (oddly enough, tied with Gregorius)

Now, for the context...

The big 3 SS this offseason were Simmons, Gregorius and Semien. Semien and Gregorius were tied for last in MLB among SS in OAA. Semien is playing SS sparingly and isn't hitting. Gregorius is among the lowest in defensive metrics and isn't hitting. Simmons is playing very well as he's actually been "pretty good" in the field and is hitting well. Geno is still providing enough value that I don't think the experiment is a failure.

Let's check in again in a couple weeks and see where we stand

22. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-17-2021),CySeymour (04-17-2021),Red Raindog (04-17-2021),REDREAD (04-21-2021),SirFelixCat (04-17-2021),WrongVerb (04-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Geno is still providing enough value that I don't think the experiment is a failure.
    This has been the claim from the beginning, fwiw.

Suarez will be bad defensively. We know this.

Many of us suspect his his offensive contributions will outweigh those defensive issues.

I'm guessing, by the end of the season, he'll be in the bottom three defenders in just about every metric. But he'll be in the top tier offensively.

For a team willing to trot out Kyle Holder instead, that's a massive bump in production. (Not to mention the India addition and Moustakas defensive shift.)

Personally, I think this is working out pretty well. Suarez was charged with one error that was clearly on Votto and after a rough start, he seems to be adjusting to the position fairly well. There are some hits that others might have turned into outs, but overall, defense is much better in the infield than last year. India is a huge improvement over the combo of Moose and Van Meter last year (Van Meter was a disaster IMO) and Moose is back where he belongs as an above average defender at 3B. Suarez seems adequate at SS and if you remember how slow and awful Galvis was last year, I don't think they've lost much year over year if anything. Suarez will probably be better than Galvis was last year in another month or so. The team's biggest weakness has been transformed. They now have two positions on the IF, 2B and 3B that are above average defensively as opposed to 4 terrible ones last season.

Defensive stats are fairly meaningless in this small of a sample and Suarez stats are being skewed by a terrible first week. Currently he seems adequate to me out there. He's not winning any gold gloves. He's not even average, but he's adequate and his move allowed the team to clearly improve at two other positions. Add what looks like some improvement from both Winker and Castellanos in the OF and the team's biggest weakness has been somewhat mitigated. Now if we can get the bullpen straightened out (find a closer, move Garrett back to match-up lefty fireman and get a couple of guys besides Antone and Sims to bridge from starter to the 9th inning, I can get on board with any play-off expectations. That's a lot to ask out of a bunch of retread pitchers, but I'm hoping they can find some one.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

757690 (04-17-2021),jwdoc77 (04-17-2021),MoneyInTheBank (04-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?