Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Suarez to start ST game at SS

Re: Suarez to start ST game at SS

If Reds start India, with Farmer in reserve, and possibly Blandino in reserve, it shifts the Reds hitting to RH dominant.

That might help LHH Tyler Naquin with the fifth OF spot.

And/or could jeopardize Blandino’s spot if Reds want a LHH instead.

This is obviously jumping the gun, Suarez/India is not a done deal, but it could influence the bench construction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bamatank View Post
    Should we read anything into Sheldon emphasizing Story in bold letters? Is he hinting at a trade for Story?
    NO!
    This is Sheldons original tweet
    Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon
    Moustakas will start at 3B. Story coming soon. #reds
    RedTeamGo bolded the word story in his post
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-15-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am thinking this has as much to do with India impressing in spring training than anything else.
    I’m thinking it also has to do with our suddenly diminished pitching staff and the increased need for offense. Can’t afford Farmer Gordon or Blandino in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    This is a Bell quote from reds.com
    I hope this is based on them watching Suarez playing and changing their minds, because before he slimmed down, this was a disaster of an idea, imo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-15-2021)

Reasons this could work (besides Suarez slimmed down body):

1. The other ss (besides Garcia) aren't very good defensively anyway, so the drop-off probably isn't that great.
    2. Defense at 2B and defense at 3B will be improved with Moose at 3B and India at 2B.
    3. The offense should be a lot better.
    4. Old way - Below average defensive positions, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, RF, Ave Positions CF, Above Average C. New Way - Below average positions 1B, SS, LF, RF, Average Positions - 2B, 3B, CF, Above Average - C.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Reasons this could work (besides Suarez slimmed down body):

1. The other ss (besides Garcia) aren't very good defensively anyway, so the drop-off probably isn't that great.
    2. Defense at 2B and defense at 3B will be improved with Moose at 3B and India at 2B.
    3. The offense should be a lot better.
    4. Old way - Below average defensive positions, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, RF, Ave Positions CF, Above Average C. New Way - Below average positions 1B, SS, LF, RF, Average Positions - 2B, 3B, CF, Above Average - C.
    Good analysis.

Will India out hit Blandino/Farmer? I guess they think he will.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Good analysis.

Will India out hit Blandino/Farmer? I guess they think he will.
    The Reds have liked what they see from India this spring.

My guess is that is what changed their minds the most. No need to make this move if it means Blandino/Farmer/Strange-Gordon at 2B, might well start them at SS. The option mentioned before spring training was to move Senzel to 2B, but I think they don’t want to move him away from CF.

But if they think India is ready to start at 2B, this move can in theory be defended.

10. Likes:

goldglover9 (03-16-2021),Old school 1983 (03-15-2021),Ron Madden (03-15-2021)

Oh! now put Votto at catcher
    Go Gators!

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-16-2021),JFLegal (03-16-2021)

The Reds would likely take a step back defensively with Suárez as a full-time shortstop, but Moustakas might be a better defensive third baseman and a player like India gives the Reds more range at second base. It would benefit the Reds’ offense, too.

“It hasn't been that Moose hasn't done well at second base,” Bell said. “He's made all the plays, but I guess it's more of a home for Moose. It does open up the possibility for Jonathan India if he continues to show that it's the right timing for him. We have other options too, we have several guys competing for the utility role, maybe it now becomes second base with Dee Strange-Gordon and Blandino and Farmer and (Max) Schrock if he's back. I think where Jonathan is, it makes even more sense to look at this possibility.”

“We have to see what it looks like,” Bell said. “We're not making any decisions now. We have a lot of options. We have guys willing to do what's best for our team and have bought into whatever it takes. That's making this look at Geno at shortstop possible.”

Suárez could emerge as the club’s starting shortstop this season. “I actually think he's better this spring than I've ever seen him at third base. If we did make the transition, I like the fact that we're making it not based on a lack of performance at third base; it's actually quite the opposite. He's actually moving really, really well at third base. It's just more encouragement to see what he's looked like at shortstop.”
    Bobby Nightengale, Cincinnati Enquirer

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

This from MLB Trade Rumors.

From 2015 so relevance may not connect very well.

—————-

Suarez has the bat for shortstop, having slashed .261/.342/.473 with 162 home runs in 3,433 plate appearances, but it’s up in the air whether the 29-year-old would perform well in the field. In 96 games at short in 2015, Suarez posted miserable marks with minus-12 Defensive Runs Saved and a minus-10.4 Ultimate Zone Rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

You don't fix bad 2b defense by using a bad SS do you?

Whatever....

Let's roll with it and play some crazy stupid baseball.

Let the gods sort it out... give me my Bread and Circuses

16. Likes:

bagz (03-16-2021),GAC (03-16-2021),M2 (03-16-2021),Old school 1983 (03-16-2021),Roy Tucker (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You don't fix bad 2b defense by using a bad SS do you?

Whatever....

Let's roll with it and play some crazy stupid baseball.

Let the gods sort it out... give me my Bread and Circuses
    Agree, but the only option I like better is just throwing Garcia out there, and the Reds seem set on letting Garcia find his stroke in AAA.

This definitely beats Kyle Farmer starting on opening day. The Blandino idea is interesting, but he doesn't stand out at the plate and probably isn't much better than Geno out there.

Beer league it for a year!

This is a team that started Jesse Winker in CF so this move shouldn’t be all that surprising.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Reds start India, with Farmer in reserve, and possibly Blandino in reserve, it shifts the Reds hitting to RH dominant.

That might help LHH Tyler Naquin with the fifth OF spot.

And/or could jeopardize Blandino’s spot if Reds want a LHH instead.

This is obviously jumping the gun, Suarez/India is not a done deal, but it could influence the bench construction.
    I wonder if they would keep Holder who fits two needs as a lefty (not that he hits RHP much, but still) and a true SS.

If the starters are Moose-Geno-India-Votto my bench would be Blandino and Holder, with Aquino and Shogo as the OF backups.

21. Likes:

757690 (03-15-2021)

Keep in mind that the pitchers on this team led the league in strikeouts last year at a clip of 11 per 9IP and it doesn't seem to be slowing down any this year (which reduces the amount of outs the defense must make). Combine that with the fact that the shift will help negate SS defensive liabilities at least against LHB and this just might work! At least that's glass half full analysis anyways....
    Last edited by DocRed; 03-15-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?