Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Suarez to start ST game at SS

Re: Suarez to start ST game at SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I wonder if they would keep Holder who fits two needs as a lefty (not that he hits RHP much, but still) and a true SS.

If the starters are Moose-Geno-India-Votto my bench would be Blandino and Holder, with Aquino and Shogo as the OF backups.
    I too would like them to keep Holder if they are making Suarez the SS. However, he’s looked rather weak at the plate, and just reading the tea-leaves, I think they will keep Strange-Gordon. I hope I am wrong.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (03-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Honestly, the net defensive loss might not be as bad as some think. From what I've heard India is pretty good defensively at 2nd, so I think you have a net gain there over Moose. Moose is better defensively at 3rd than Suarez so you have a gain at 3rd. Obviously Suarez will be a huge loss defensively at SS, but with the other 2 spots being gains the question becomes how much worse you are overall in the infield D?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    In 96 games at short in 2015, Suarez posted miserable marks with minus-12 Defensive Runs Saved and a minus-10.4 Ultimate Zone Rating.
    He's had six years to think and improve on that.

From a defensive perspective, and SS IMO is a key defensive position, it's a bad move. You're sacrificing glove for bat, and basically putting an "unknown" there IMO. And I'm sure the pitchers are celebrating. But I don't think the '21 Reds team will be known for it's defensive prowess, so what the hell! lol

This ownership was cutting payroll due to the pandemic. And I don't care what they said, they weren't in the market, made any serious offers, for those SS's there. And that left them with the options of yuck, ugh, jeez, and you're kidding me?

If this "move" is being made based on India's 21 AB performance in ST, vs lesser level of talent overall .... then who do I send my resume into?

But like everyone else - what the hell! Lets play ball!

Of course if many fans can't find avenues to watch the games because of all thats going on with the RSNs - or only 30% capacity in the stadiums - "If Suarez commits and error in the field, and there's no one there to see, does it still count?"
    Last edited by GAC; 03-16-2021 at 05:24 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Oh! now put Votto at catcher
    hey, he was drafted as a catcher.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Fine by me. We're in a situation where I would make the best hitting lineup and let the defense be damned.

9. Likes:

SirFelixCat (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Reasons this could work (besides Suarez slimmed down body):

1. The other ss (besides Garcia) aren't very good defensively anyway, so the drop-off probably isn't that great.
    2. Defense at 2B and defense at 3B will be improved with Moose at 3B and India at 2B.
    3. The offense should be a lot better.
    4. Old way - Below average defensive positions, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, RF, Ave Positions CF, Above Average C. New Way - Below average positions 1B, SS, LF, RF, Average Positions - 2B, 3B, CF, Above Average - C.
    Until Votto repeats his poor defensive metrics I'd still put 1B in average. (The dreaded) if healthy, Senzel has shown to be above average in CF

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Keep in mind that the pitchers on this team led the league in strikeouts last year at a clip of 11 per 9IP and it doesn't seem to be slowing down any this year (which reduces the amount of outs the defense must make). Combine that with the fact that the shift will help negate SS defensive liabilities at least against LHB and this just might work! At least that's glass half full analysis anyways....
    I think they will have a hard time maintaining that pace. Basically replacing Bauer with Miley and Iglesias with Noe Ramirez. That's a big drop in Strikeouts. Some of thsse other guys won't maintain the pace for 162 games. Last year there was no need to pace themselves to get through a long season. I would expect Ks to frop in general all throughout baseball, but the loss of the top 2 strike out guys from last year willresult in a bigger drop here IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Mitri (03-16-2021),REDREAD (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Until Votto repeats his poor defensive metrics I'd still put 1B in average. (The dreaded) if healthy, Senzel has shown to be above average in CF
    Where we disagree is that I don't think he's ever been average. A lot of plays aren't made at 1B when the throw is just a little bit off line becasue of Votto's poor footwork. The blame is placed to the guy throwing, but Votto should make those plays. I do think he's good at fielding ground balls hit toward the second base hole, someting a lot of the bigger, less fit 1B don't do.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-16-2021)

I remember the line of thinking last year the Reds could get away with playing immobile objects all over the infield because of advances in the shift.

Then you had to hold your breath at every routine ground ball hit last year like you do at a junior high game. Bad defense isn't fun.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

16. Likes:

GAC (03-17-2021),REDREAD (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I remember the line of thinking last year the Reds could get away with playing immobile objects all over the infield because of advances in the shift.

Then you had to hold your breath at every routine ground ball hit last year like you do at a junior high game. Bad defense isn't fun.
    I agree in general, but this move as a whole adds a better defender to the infield (India) than they had previously and Moose is a better 3B than Suarez was last year, (though maybe not as good as a slimmed down Suarez might have been this year) and the guys who would be playing SS if Suarez stays at 3B really aren't good defenders either. I just don't see the drop-off at SS compared to the other in-house options being all that great and both 2B and 3B should be better than last year with this alignment. There are less places for a ball to go to find a leaky glove than there would be otherwise.

India is a rookie, so he could fail, but I'm not convinced any of the other options are even big league players. Farmer is a decent 26th man who can play a lot of positions decently and can be a third catcher with some RH power against LH pitchers. Blandino might be one of those guys who can hit a little with some on base ability, but he's probably below average defensively whereever he plays and I'm not convinced he'd be any better at all at SS than Suarez. None of the others should be any more than emergency options at AAA IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-16-2021 at 08:33 AM.

18. Likes:

Mitri (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is a team that started Jesse Winker in CF so this move shouldn’t be all that surprising.
    It's also why the FO got a 96% D or F in their off-season grade.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post

Bad defense isn't fun but one thing going in the Reds favor is that this is a strike out heavy pitching staff. They strike out a lot of hitters so fewer balls are put in play.

In the bigger picture, this front office is a colossal failure when you look at how they've put together this team on the offensive side. Somehow they've managed to miss on a lot of categories. Is this a strong team defensively? Speed? Power? OBP? Youth? What boxes were checked here? What is their philosophy?

With all the shifting, the demands of the position are nothing like they once were. With what they have at the position, I’d give it a go and see what happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Likes:

goldglover9 (03-16-2021),Old school 1983 (03-16-2021),Ron Madden (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Where we disagree is that I don't think he's ever been average. A lot of plays aren't made at 1B when the throw is just a little bit off line becasue of Votto's poor footwork. The blame is placed to the guy throwing, but Votto should make those plays. I do think he's good at fielding ground balls hit toward the second base hole, someting a lot of the bigger, less fit 1B don't do.
    So he has just been fooling the defensive metrics his entire career until the pandemic shortened season?

I wonder if defensively, India is a better SS than Suarez? Would an infield of Moose 3B, Suarez SS, India 2B, be better or worse defensively than an infield of Moose 3B, India SS, Suarez 2B? I get that India would be pretty decent at 2B. But Suarez may be a better 2B than he is a SS.

I know that the India to SS experiment was very short-lived, but from everything I have gathered, India wasn't a complete butcher at SS, either.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?