Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA Writers: Jonathan India looking great; scouts think Reds are a hot mess

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

BA Writers: Jonathan India looking great; scouts think Reds are a hot mess

Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (03-20-2021),DocRed (03-21-2021),Mitri (03-19-2021),REDREAD (03-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA Writers: Jonathan India looking great; scouts think Reds are a hot mess

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The relevant portion runs from about ~1:30 to ~9:00.

It's really interesting. They talk about India being less than impressive in the past. If you buy Cooper and Glaser, you get the sense there's a lot more going on than we ever catch wind of (shocker, I know).
    Last edited by BillDoran; 03-20-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarifying my pronouns

5. Likes:

757690 (03-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    The relevant portion runs from about ~1:30 to ~9:00.

It's really interesting. They talk about India being less than impressive in the past. If you buy Cooper and Glaser, you get the sense there's a lot more going on than we ever catch wind of (shocker, I know).
    What they say backs up my suspicisions. That the Suarez move to SS is more about getting India in the lineup than anything else.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What they say backs up my suspicisions. That the Suarez move to SS is more about getting India in the lineup than anything else.
    Pretty sure the Reds outright said this was a major reason, if not the primary reason. It's a move toward the future, ironically. It gets India reps in the big leagues, where he needs them, and Garcia reps at AAA.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-20-2021)

Forget offense for a minute. Explain to me who among the candidates is likely to be any less of a defensive disaster than Suarez. Every one of them - Farmer, Blandino, Freeman, Gordon and Schrock were moved off the position as minor leaguers because they failed at it. Putting any one of those guys at SS is just as much an act of desperation as Suarez. Suarez made the big leagues as a SS and only moved because Rolen retired and the Reds had Cozart. He bulked up and couldn't be moved back. He's lost the bulk. I'd say he has a better chance of being adequate defensively than any of the guys who washed out in the minor leagues.

Moving Suarez is more shocking because he's been an All Star caliber player at 3B for a couple of years, but it's not more likely to be a disaster than any of those other defensive nightmares. Farmer is OK on a spot basis, but if he played every day, I think his defense would have us longing for anybody else. Suarez name value has the talking heads skeptical and they are right to be, The Reds should have structured the roster so this wasn't necessary, but he's not a worse defensive option than any of the in house candidates except Garcia who isn't really an option apparently.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Pretty sure the Reds outright said this was a major reason, if not the primary reason. It's a move toward the future, ironically. It gets India reps in the big leagues, where he needs them, and Garcia reps at AAA.
    That Garcia bit is something nobody is talking about.

His bat looks awful. At this point I will be shocked if he’s major league ready by 2022, if ever.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

DocRed (03-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That Garcia bit is something nobody is talking about.

His bat looks awful. At this point I will be shocked if he’s major league ready by 2022, if ever.
    He’s had what, one or two starts? 14 PA’s this spring, most of them one AB at the end of the game after coming in as a defensive replacement.

I wish the Reds had given him more starts, but it seems they decided before spring training started that he wasn’t going to start this season at SS. Considering that the minor leagues won’t start until at least a month into the season, I doubt we will see him in the majors anytime soon.

13. Likes:

ochoa30 (03-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Forget offense for a minute. Explain to me who among the candidates is likely to be any less of a defensive disaster than Suarez. Every one of them - Farmer, Blandino, Freeman, Gordon and Schrock were moved off the position as minor leaguers because they failed at it. Putting any one of those guys at SS is just as much an act of desperation as Suarez. Suarez made the big leagues as a SS and only moved because Rolen retired and the Reds had Cozart. He bulked up and couldn't be moved back. He's lost the bulk. I'd say he has a better chance of being adequate defensively than any of the guys who washed out in the minor leagues.

Moving Suarez is more shocking because he's been an All Star caliber player at 3B for a couple of years, but it's not more likely to be a disaster than any of those other defensive nightmares. Farmer is OK on a spot basis, but if he played every day, I think his defense would have us longing for anybody else. Suarez name value has the talking heads skeptical and they are right to be, The Reds should have structured the roster so this wasn't necessary, but he's not a worse defensive option than any of the in house candidates except Garcia who isn't really an option apparently.
    First, there’s Garcia and Holder. Terrible bats, but they would legitimate shortstops defensively. There also will be options at the end of spring training to pick a decent backup SS off of waiver.

I also think both Farmer, Blandino and Strange-Gordon would likely be better than Suarez. They would be Peraza level bad, imo. Suarez likely would be historically bad, imo.

He’s had what, one or two starts? 14 PA’s this spring, most of them one AB at the end of the game after coming in as a defensive replacement.

I wish the Reds had given him more starts, but it seems they decided before spring training started that he wasn’t going to start this season at SS. Considering that the minor leagues won’t start until at least a month into the season, I doubt we will see him in the majors anytime soon.
    It’s last year, this spring, and the fact he’s not getting starts this spring is likely because he looks bad while they are practicing behind closed doors. If he looked good in batting practice he would likely be getting more ABs. Folks are ignoring it, but this is a bad sign IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s last year, this spring, and the fact he’s not getting starts this spring is likely because he looks bad while they are practicing behind closed doors. If he looked good in batting practice he would likely be getting more ABs. Folks are ignoring it, but this is a bad sign IMHO.
    It’s not a good sign, but I still would like to see him in actual games, even if it’s just spring training games. if he’s going to get better, he needs to get AB’s, real AB’s, not practice field AB’s. With the minor leagues shut down to start the season it will be awhile before he gets regular real player time, making these spring games even more important for his development.

It’s not a good sign, but I still would like to see him in actual games, even if it’s just spring training games. if he’s going to get better, he needs to get AB’s, real AB’s, not practice field AB’s. With the minor leagues shut down to start the season it will be awhile before he gets regular real player time, making these spring games even more important for his development.
    Yes. To be clear: I’m not throwing in the towel on the kid. He is going to get this whole year (and probably next) at AA and AAA.

First, there’s Garcia and Holder. Terrible bats, but they would legitimate shortstops defensively. There also will be options at the end of spring training to pick a decent backup SS off of waiver.

I also think both Farmer, Blandino and Strange-Gordon would likely be better than Suarez. They would be Peraza level bad, imo. Suarez likely would be historically bad, imo.
    I hated Peraza at SS, but I think he'd be clearly a better defender than any of those guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hated Peraza at SS, but I think he'd be clearly a better defender than any of those guys.
    I think all of them would make the basic plays and not much else. All of them are rather steady, error free defenders. They just lack the range and quickness to make the hard SS plays. The problem really with them all is not their gloves, it’s their bats. If they could hit just a little, they’d justify their weaknesses on defense.

Great find OP.

Best part about this is it sounds like they talked to Multiple Scouts across multiple teams and the praise and notice seem universal. "The types of things we were hearing from anyone who wasn't employed by the Reds" are the scouts they are referencing.
    Last edited by DocRed; 03-21-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Great find OP.

Best part about this is it sounds like they talked to Multiple Scouts across multiple teams and the praise and notice seem universal. "The types of things we were hearing from anyone who wasn't employed by the Reds" are the scouts they are referencing.
    I listened to this yesterday. On the flip side all of these scouts also said the reds are an “absolute hot mess”

Turn Off Ads?