Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not missing Shogo

I'm not missing Shogo

With Castellanos and Senzel hitting and Winker as our LH hitting left fielder, I find myself not concerned about Shogo being out. He's almost reduced to a defensive replacement role (for me). After we lobbied so much for our first Japanese player it would not look good to trade him.

If Cast has good season and opts out we might need him next year. Expensive back up plan.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

REDREAD (03-20-2021),Zeep (04-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm not missing Shogo

He'll still get a fair amount of playing time as a 4th OF. Neither Winker nor Senzel have ever played a full-season worth of games. Shogo will probably have an extended period in the starting lineup at some point.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 03-19-2021 at 11:19 AM.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-19-2021),CarolinaRedleg (03-22-2021),Griffey012 (03-19-2021),MrRedSkull (03-19-2021),mth123 (03-19-2021),NebraskaRed (03-19-2021),OGB (03-20-2021),RedsFanInMS (03-20-2021),Tom Servo (03-19-2021),TommyJ (03-21-2021),UKFlounder (03-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    He'll still get a fair amount of playing time as a 4th OF. Neither Winker or Senzel has ever played a full-season worth of games. Shogo will probably have an extended period in the starting lineup at some point.
    Agree. Optimally you’d like a semi-starter at fourth OF, fifth IF, and backup catcher.

That’s the way you avoid collapse with a few injuries or slumps.

Reds are better off with Shogo as fourth (or rotating) OF and I look forward to his return.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2021 at 10:45 AM.

7. Likes:

WrongVerb (03-20-2021)

Agree he'll be needed. He's also a guy who can get something started from the bench by getting on base and they don't have a good option in CF if Senzel goes down without him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Mitri (03-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree he'll be needed. He's also a guy who can get something started from the bench by getting on base and they don't have a good option in CF if Senzel goes down without him.
    Also true...No DH. If the pitcher's spot is coming up at the top of the next inning, he's definitely a guy you would call on.

If a team wants to win, it needs good role-players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    With Castellanos and Senzel hitting and Winker as our LH hitting left fielder, I find myself not concerned about Shogo being out. He's almost reduced to a defensive replacement role (for me). After we lobbied so much for our first Japanese player it would not look good to trade him.

If Cast has good season and opts out we might need him next year. Expensive back up plan.
    Big fan of the Heinemann, Payton, Aquino, Naiquin group then?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

12. Likes:

OGB (03-20-2021),Tom Servo (03-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Big fan of the Heinemann, Payton, Aquino, Naiquin group then?
    As back up outfielders? Earning league minimum or close to it? Yeah I think so. Better than paying $7 million for late inning defensive replacement.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (03-20-2021)

As back up outfielders? Earning league minimum or close to it? Yeah I think so. Better than paying $7 million for late inning defensive replacement.
    Shogo is far more than a late innings defensive replacement. Especially now that we’re back to 162 games. He’s going to start a few times a week along with coming in mid-game for defense or pinch hit or double switch. And play every day when there’s an OF injury.

It’s fair to argue that any Reds player getting $7 million needs to be a starter. They don’t seem to be in a position to spend. But to say he’s a mere defensive replacement, not buying that.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-19-2021)

I think they are going to force him into the lineup because of his salary.

At the expense of who?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

OGB (03-20-2021),westofyou (03-24-2021)

I can't see them sitting Winker, Senzel, or Castellanos more than a quarter of the time each. It would have to be Winker, who is also LH, because they've been very committed to Senzel as an everyday CF and Castellanos has an even larger salary...

Kinda my point. If Senzel and Cat are hitting, you don't want them out. The one weakness you know about in Winker and lefties, but Shogo is lefty too.

Considering how often and early Bell makes defensive switches, I am glad the Reds have a defensive replacement like Shogo who can also hit.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Our backup outfielders are going to get 500+ PA’s. Banking on Winker and Senzel to play 150 games is a bad idea.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

24. Likes:

757690 (03-19-2021),Crumbley (03-20-2021),Mitri (03-19-2021),OGB (03-20-2021),SirFelixCat (03-19-2021),Tom Servo (03-19-2021)

Can Shogo play SS?

Turn Off Ads?