Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3-24-21 Reds vs Rangers 9:05pm

Re: 3-24-21 Reds vs Rangers 9:05pm

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Seems awfully late in Spring to be going with so many scrubs. We should have starting position players out there going 9 innings by now. This team hasn't seemed ready to open the season for the last several years. I think it's because the scrubs are playing too much and the main guys aren't out there getting ready. That's true of both the position players and the pitchers IMO.
    I am 100% sure the guys not playing in the ST games are getting in more cage and fielding work than the guys who are.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Mitri (03-24-2021),Ron Madden (03-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I am 100% sure the guys not playing in the ST games are getting in more cage and fielding work than the guys who are.
    They’ll be playing all year. I’m pretty sure we will see plenty of starters real soon.

I find ST games tedious, it’s all exhibition baseball and it’s obvious the games don’t matter, back in the day if you weren’t there you’d just see a box score and that would be enough until late spring when they’d start broadcasting some games regularly

5. Likes:

Fil3232 (03-24-2021),M2 (03-24-2021),Mitri (03-24-2021),RedsfaninMT (03-25-2021),Ron Madden (03-24-2021)

I'm sure they are getting practice, but working on their skills is not the same as grinding out a game for 9 innings on back to back days. The starters should be doing that this week. What are they going to find out about Farmer and Blandino who have both been in the organization for multiple years? If they don't know about them by now, a couple more games isn't going to clear anything up. Naquin is a vet with 1000+ career PAs and an OPS+ of 100. He seems like a no brainer for the bench. I just don't see what these last few games are going to sort out. I'd rather use the PT to get the starters acclimated to regular season conditions.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm sure they are getting practice, but working on their skills is not the same as grinding out a game for 9 innings on back to back days. The starters should be doing that this week. What are they going to find out about Farmer and Blandino who have both been in the organization for multiple years? If they don't know about them by now, a couple more games isn't going to clear anything up. Naquin is a vet with 1000+ career PAs and an OPS+ of 100. He seems like a no brainer for the bench. I just don't see what these last few games are going to sort out. I'd rather use the PT to get the starters acclimated to regular season conditions.
    See how they hit with the pressure on against real pitching would seem to be a pretty good idea to me.

Pinch hitting and spot starting is all about the small sample. Find out who's stinging the ball and steal a couple wins early (a la Chris Heisey a decade ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    See how they hit with the pressure on against real pitching would seem to be a pretty good idea to me.

Pinch hitting and spot starting is all about the small sample. Find out who's stinging the ball and steal a couple wins early (a la Chris Heisey a decade ago).
    What pressure? They've been fighting for a job all spring, they've had plenty of pressure. Nothing anyone does in this game will separate the candidates. At this point it should be about getting ready for the season.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Reds might lose 20 games this spring. Whether it matters or not that’s not ideal.

What pressure? They've been fighting for a job all spring, they've had plenty of pressure. Nothing anyone does in this game will separate the candidates. At this point it should be about getting ready for the season.
    And now it's down to brass tacks. I'd argue this is as much pressure as they'll face throughout most of the regular season.

If they flourish now, I'd feel better about them flourishing in April.

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    Reds might lose 20 games this spring. Whether it matters or not that’s not ideal.
    Anyone unhappy about the W-L should definitely avoid reading Reds’ ST pitching stats.

Reds’ offensive numbers are more pleasant, I try to stick to those.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-24-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Naquin goes the other way with a double against a left handed pitcher.
    I think he’s making this team.

13. Likes:

ochoa30 (03-24-2021)

Aquino with an RBI single. Another good AB this spring by him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

15. Likes:

adkindo (03-24-2021),goreds2 (03-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Anyone unhappy about the W-L should definitely avoid reading Reds’ ST pitching stats.

Reds’ offensive numbers are more pleasant, I try to stick to those.
    If it helps:

- Bad numbers can be dismissed as small samples
    - Bad numbers can also be dismissed if players are "working on things."
    - Bad numbers can also be dismissed if the player says that he's just looking to find "rhythm."
    - "Feeling good out there" is a sure sign for seasonal success (even if it's accompanied by bad stat lines).
    - Good numbers can be accepted as gospel because of a new swing.
    - Good numbers can also be accepted as gospel if the player has discussed "a new approach".
    - Players who mention a "new swing plane" are almost assured of MVP-level seasons.
    - "Best shape of my life" always means good things.
    - "Getting serious about baseball" and "I just want to have fun" are both exceptionally good news and sure signs that he is indeed "feeling good out there".
    - Never trust a man who hits himself in the Jimmie every time he does something good.

Reds gotta sign this guy.

With Yasiel Puig gone, this guy will be needed when we go up against the Pirates.

18. Likes:

CySeymour (03-25-2021),M2 (03-24-2021)

Our guys are “working” on things. Their guys are “working” on things. So why does it seem that the other guys seem to have better success working on things than when our guys work on things?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

20. Likes:

adkindo (03-24-2021)

Nice to see another solid outing from Doolittle.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-24-2021)

Doolittle and Bedrosian with strong innings.

Bedrosian with 3 K’s. He now has 14K’s for the spring. He’s only faced 29 batters.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?