Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Could This Season Be Barnhart’s Last In Cincinnati?

Re: Could This Season Be Barnhart’s Last In Cincinnati?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Stephenson falls on his face, or gets hurt, $7.5M for a gold glove catcher with a career .700 OPS is a bargain.
    The Reds won't see it that way. The odds of the Reds picking up that 7.5 million option are probably less than 1%.. And I'm ok with that. With the money pinch we are in, best to let him walk.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

No chance they pick up the option for Barnhart, even though I think he will hit over .300 for the next two years.

That's .180 this year and .160 next year!
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Extend Tucker?

I can’t believe I’m asking, but he looks great and he and Ty could be a formidable duo.

He’s 30, will be making 7.5 mil next year if we opt for it, or we buy him out for 500k.

Plenty of time to decide but he appears to be making a strong case.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

5. Likes:

DocRed (04-10-2021)

Re: Extend Tucker?

No, let the season play out and you can pick up the option and worry about it later. No reason to jump the gun on what would be a 32 year old catcher at the time it would kick in.

7. Likes:

Chip R (04-14-2021),Rojo Rijo (07-08-2021),Ron Madden (04-10-2021)

Barnhart's currently sporting a 269/354/419 slashline and a 102 wRC+ (if it holds, it'd be the first time he's been greater than 100).

It's probably fool's gold (383 BABIP), but do you consider extending him? Would you do 2 years, $8 million? 3 years, $10 million?

I think the general consensus is that his defense is lightly overvalued, but still a very good defensive catcher with a 354 OBP, handles the staff well, great teammate by all accounts; that definitely has some value. He's only 30 now and he's been fairly healthy. It could be the perfect segue for Stephenson (presuming he stays at catcher). Stephenson could start taking the bigger half of the job-share, while filling in at 1B and DH.

I suspect the idea of an extension is moot, as he'll likely be able to get more money elsewhere. But you've got to wonder whether he'd take a little hometown discount (from the Indianapolis area) if you'll guarantee more in new money than he's owed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Barnhart's currently sporting a 269/354/419 slashline and a 102 wRC+ (if it holds, it'd be the first time he's been greater than 100).

It's probably fool's gold (383 BABIP), but do you consider extending him? Would you do 2 years, $8 million? 3 years, $10 million?

I think the general consensus is that his defense is lightly overvalued, but still a very good defensive catcher with a 354 OBP, handles the staff well, great teammate by all accounts; that definitely has some value. He's only 30 now and he's been fairly healthy. It could be the perfect segue for Stephenson (presuming he stays at catcher). Stephenson could start taking the bigger half of the job-share, while filling in at 1B and DH.

I suspect the idea of an extension is moot, as he'll likely be able to get more money elsewhere. But you've got to wonder whether he'd take a little hometown discount (from the Indianapolis area) if you'll guarantee more in new money than he's owed next year.
    I think you let Stephenson take the reigns and start a bunch of games next year. The kid looks 110% legit. Find a more affordable backup and use that money elsewhere.

Also, I think Tucker finds a starting job on a 3-year deal elsewhere.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (07-09-2021),RiverRat13 (07-07-2021)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The White Sox have WS aspirations, desperately need a catcher and have a mitt full of prospects.

Might be a decent time to move him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Likes:

mth123 (07-07-2021),REDREAD (07-09-2021),RedsfaninMT (07-07-2021),Tuff Nut (07-08-2021)

Reds aren't going to move anyone they need for a playoff run, not unless they drop the next 7 against MIL.

14. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-08-2021),Mitri (07-07-2021),Revering4Blue (07-08-2021)

I was thinking they could have traded Barny last offseason and kept Casali. Glad it didn't happen, because Barny's trade value should be at an all time high right now. Find a cheap, defensive minded C to back up TySteve moving forward.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I don't think they should bring him back. Replacing Barnhart with Stephenson is exactly the type of move a team with the Reds payroll needs to do to stay competitive. A similar move would be finding a trade for Moose if he comes back and has a hot 2nd half. You then replace him with India. It's that value replacement (using high performing prospects to replace costly vets) that allows a team like the Reds to spend big elsewhere.

17. Likes:

OGB (07-08-2021),REDREAD (07-09-2021)

We can replace Barnhart with Stephenson and still bring him back. What about something like a 3 year $12-15m deal to keep him around? He is still gonna start 60 or so games. And he’s there if there should be an injury to Stephenson or Votto and we need to move Stephenson to 1st. We don’t really have catching depth beyond those two.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I’m not thinking about trading a GG catcher with a good contract and an obvious good touch with pitchers

You need two catchers in today’s game and until a third one shows I’d stand pat

20. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-08-2021),cumberlandreds (07-08-2021),CySeymour (07-08-2021),dubc47834 (07-08-2021),goreds2 (07-08-2021),HokieRed (07-08-2021),RED VAN HOT (07-08-2021),WildcatFan (07-08-2021)

My guess is Tucker gets something close to what McCann got this offseason. Very similar careers, but without the GG for McCann. Maybe 3 years instead of 4, but around $10M a year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

i've changed my tune from the preseason for sure. now i would pick up barnhart's option for 2022. him and tyler stephenson make a tremendous tandem at catcher. and stephenson is much more than just a backup catcher or platoon catcher. why? because he is also the understudy at first base. and with votto hitting 38 next month, chances are good the reds are going to need more and more starts out of stephenson at first.

course, moose can play there too. i almost forgot moose was even on the team.

One thing to keep in minding going forward wrt catcher is Stephenson's defense. No doubt his bat (and size) has played a role in the discussion of moving him to 1B, but he's also been pretty bad behind the dish (though different defensive metrics see him very differently). He's allowed 24 of 28 base stealers, and he leads the NL in passed balls.

Given the Reds finances, I honestly don't think keeping Barnhart around is in the cards, nor probably advisable. I also don't think you can just pick up his $7.5 million option. You need to parlay that into a sweeter deal for the Reds.

Having two starting quality catchers is likely a luxury the Reds can't afford. However, handing the job over to Stephenson might not be the no-brainer his slashline suggests.

24. Likes:

757690 (07-08-2021),fearofpopvol1 (07-08-2021),Indymoon (07-08-2021),OGB (07-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?