Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonathan India as starting second baseman

Jonathan India as starting second baseman

seems like this should be a bigger topic of conversation. this is presuming that jonathan india does break camp as the reds' starting second baseman, which all signs are pointing to right now. that's a hell of a positive story right there and this organization needs as many of those as possible. the reds cannot afford to whiff on the #5 overall pick of the draft, and it appears as though they did not with india. i was a bit worried about him a couple years ago when he was in the minors. his numbers were never bad, but he seemed to be underperforming. but apparently something clicked at the alternate site at prasco last summer and now he's ready for the show. i'm pretty excited about it.

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (03-29-2021),cumberlandreds (03-30-2021),CySeymour (03-26-2021),DocRed (03-26-2021),MR X (03-26-2021),RedlegJ (03-27-2021),RedRoser (03-26-2021),RedsFanInMS (03-26-2021),wally post (03-26-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jonathan India as starting second baseman

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    seems like this should be a bigger topic of conversation. this is presuming that jonathan india does break camp as the reds' starting second baseman, which all signs are pointing to right now. that's a hell of a positive story right there and this organization needs as many of those as possible. the reds cannot afford to whiff on the #5 overall pick of the draft, and it appears as though they did not with india. i was a bit worried about him a couple years ago when he was in the minors. his numbers were never bad, but he seemed to be underperforming. but apparently something clicked at the alternate site at prasco last summer and now he's ready for the show. i'm pretty excited about it.
    It's a great story. I'm optimistic about India and think the moves improve the defense at both second and third. Hopefully Suarez is acceptable at SS. If so, the IF went from being a potential horror show to fairly solid and the offense essentially fills the two weakest spots with India and at least part-time Stephenson.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I hope he does well just because there is an endless reservoir of Bollywood dance gifs.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Big Klu (03-26-2021),CarolinaRedleg (03-26-2021),cincinnati chili (03-26-2021),Kingspoint (03-29-2021),membengal (03-27-2021),ochoa30 (03-26-2021),Red Raindog (03-28-2021),TRF (03-29-2021),wally post (03-26-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm looking forward to at least the next 4-5 years of an up-the-middle that includes Stephenson, India, Garcia, and Senzel (with Hendrick possibly supplanting him in a few years).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

757690 (03-26-2021),goreds2 (03-28-2021),Kingspoint (03-29-2021),Old school 1983 (03-26-2021),zigbeenuthouse (03-26-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I hope he does well just because there is an endless reservoir of Bollywood dance gifs.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

cincinnati chili (03-26-2021)

There was a podcast somebody had linked talking about India's rise, and they said the reports on him previously were all quite poor -- no standout skills, mediocre effort, etc. They said he looks like a completely different player this Spring. It makes you wonder how much was really development and attitude shift vs. getting and staying healthy for an extended period of time.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    There was a podcast somebody had linked talking about India's rise, and they said the reports on him previously were all quite poor -- no standout skills, mediocre effort, etc. They said he looks like a completely different player this Spring. It makes you wonder how much was really development and attitude shift vs. getting and staying healthy for an extended period of time.
    It also makes you think about how scouting reports can be affected by the littlest of things (including reputation).

13. Likes:

dfs (03-26-2021)

India's going to have to hit a bit to make the Suarez switch worthwhile. If he OPSes 800, he's a smash success. I'd be fine with anything over 750, honestly. Combine that with solid speed and defensive tools, and I expect him to be somewhere around two wins. The upper end of his develop would be Brandon Phillips with more patience at the plate and Bret Boone with the glove. I'm okay with both of those, honestly.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Going in a different direction, I so want the name “Jack Pakistan” to become a thing.
    Stick to your guns.

16. Likes:

M2 (03-26-2021),WrongVerb (03-26-2021)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Yeah, I put it in the minor league subboard, but maybe should have put it here. Here’s the thread, and the podcast link is In the first post. It hope that the scout gossip is warranted, and that he’s really taken the quantum leap discussed. The podcast is worth every reds fan’s time. https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...are-a-hot-mess
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    India's going to have to hit a bit to make the Suarez switch worthwhile. If he OPSes 800, he's a smash success. I'd be fine with anything over 750, honestly.
    well, yeah. the reds drafted him #5 overall because of his bat. and it's because of his bat -- it seems -- that has impressed the team so much that he is going to win the starting 2B job. i agree he needs to OPS around .800 for it to be considered a success. i'm looking forward to seeing him for myself. all the talk is that he's got good plate discipline and has some pop. playing half his games in GABP, even as a rookie an OPS of .800 isn't too much to ask.

I keep looking for betting odds for NL ROY and can't find him listed. Would be worth it for 100 to 1 odds.

well, yeah. the reds drafted him #5 overall because of his bat. and it's because of his bat -- it seems -- that has impressed the team so much that he is going to win the starting 2B job. i agree he needs to OPS around .800 for it to be considered a success. i'm looking forward to seeing him for myself. all the talk is that he's got good plate discipline and has some pop. playing half his games in GABP, even as a rookie an OPS of .800 isn't too much to ask.
    I think a 800 OPS is way too much to ask. How about 750 OPS and decent defense at 2b. That would be better than anything Senzel has done to this point , just a reference (not bashing Senzel). Billy H never OPSed 750 either. It would probably make India one of the best hitters out of the farm since.. maybe Mesarco? I've probably forgotten someone, but the point was that 800 OPS is a lot to ask from a rookie. Edit: I did forget Winker.

Note, not saying India will be bad, I just don't want us to get too high of expectations.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

21. Likes:

DocRed (03-26-2021),mth123 (03-26-2021)

He's young, got the energy, and as mentioned can be part of a core of talent this team can use. India, Stephenson, Senzel, Garcia. Add Winker, and Suarez with the vets like Moose and Castellanos and they have solid talent. Gray, Mahle, Castillo, Lodolo, Sims and Antone. Add a few pitchers (Greene?) and some depth and this club could win 90. I don't predict that obviously for this year but next? Could happen.
    Last edited by zigbeenuthouse; 03-26-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I’ve been trying to tell everyone that India us the real deal. Took him a bit in college to shine. Same as in the minors.

He’s a good one.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

24. Likes:

KronoRed (03-26-2021),Plus Plus (03-27-2021),Rojo Rijo (03-29-2021)

Turn Off Ads?