Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonathan India as starting second baseman

Re: Jonathan India as starting second baseman

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What’s causing my concern is that even during his good week he didn’t hit for power.
    You’re really concerned about a rookie not hitting for power for one or two weeks?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Likes:

Chip R (04-19-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    You’re really concerned about a rookie not hitting for power for one or two weeks?
    I’ve been concerned about India for a couple years. I’m simply pointing out even when he was on fire he didn’t hit for power.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Did fans have an expectation of power from India? I see him as an 8-12 deep ball guy. It’d be nice to see the first one though. For Senzel too.
    Considering he was a top 5 draft pick because of his power tool, yes.

Also, power does not just = HRs.

He might need 21-30 days in the minors at some point this year.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-19-2021)

India needs for team and fans to be patient, he’s made a big jump to the majors.

I don’t see bouncing him to the minors for a few weeks, seems like a cosmetic move unless it’s for most of the season. I would try to avoid it.

They decided he’s the best option for second base, just let him play most games, bat him seventh, and don’t apply the pressure of high expectations for a rookie. Not worried about his power, it’s there, matter of getting comfortable and maybe adjustments with coaching staff.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-19-2021 at 09:02 AM.

9. Likes:

adkindo (04-19-2021),Chip R (04-19-2021),HammerTime (04-19-2021),Mitri (04-19-2021),SirFelixCat (04-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not worried about his power, it’s there.
    Is it, though? Career .410 slugging percentage at minor league level. 700 plate appearances. If it wasnt for his junior season at Florida he would have never displayed power in his entire life.

Is it, though? Career .410 slugging percentage at minor league level. 700 plate appearances. If it wasnt for his junior season at Florida he would have never displayed power in his entire life.
    But India did hit for power at Florida in 2018, 21 homers in 68 games. I doubt the power evaporated, whether or not he’s been eating his Wheaties.

India has only two minor league seasons and played through a wrist injury, but his detractors make it sound definitive. Another case where I’ll go with the Reds’ decision, they know him best especially after 2020’s no-stats season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-19-2021 at 10:20 AM.

12. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-19-2021)

I’ve been concerned about India for a couple years. I’m simply pointing out even when he was on fire he didn’t hit for power.
    And I'm simply pointing out it's a really small sample size. No conclusions can be drawn. He's new to the majors. If this is the story in June or even late May, then so be it. But 54 plate appearances in? Nothing really to be drawn.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    And I'm simply pointing out it's a really small sample size. No conclusions can be drawn. He's new to the majors. If this is the story in June or even late May, then so be it. But 54 plate appearances in? Nothing really to be drawn.
    I was also looking at his 700 minor league PAs and 2 of 3 college seasons, but sure just looking at major league at bats...

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But India did hit for power at Florida in 2018, 21 homers in 68 games. I doubt the power evaporated, whether or not he’s been eating his Wheaties.

India has only two minor league seasons and played through a wrist injury, but his detractors make it sound definitive. Another case where I’ll go with the Reds’ decision, they know him best especially after 2020’s no-stats season.
    I specifically pointed out his junior year, which is the outlier of his entire career since freshman year of college.

I’ve never said it’s definitive. You had (and still have) folks saying he’s the leading candidate for NL ROY, saying he’s a star in the making, etc. I am not sure, based on years of evidence, that’s it.

I specifically pointed out his junior year, which is the outlier of his entire career since freshman year of college.

I’ve never said it’s definitive. You had (and still have) folks saying he’s the leading candidate for NL ROY, saying he’s a star in the making, etc. I am not sure, based on years of evidence, that’s it.
    Heh, yeah you crushed those dreams for me, thanks.

Baseball is funny. Aquino looked like Mark Mcgwire for a few weeks there.

I agree though. Even Stephenson looks like a stronger candidate right now.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-19-2021)

The best thing the Reds could do for their young guys, India, Senzel, and Stephenson is give them all a vote of confidence when they are slumping. Let them know the job is theirs and there’s no reason to have to look over your shoulder.

19. Likes:

Chip R (04-19-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Heh, yeah you crushed those dreams for me, thanks.

Baseball is funny. Aquino looked like Mark Mcgwire for a few weeks there.

I agree though. Even Stephenson looks like a stronger candidate right now.
    To be absolutely clear, if India is a .350 OBP solid defensive 2B, I am good with that. But, man, a few doubles and home runs would help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    The best thing the Reds could do for their young guys, India, Senzel, and Stephenson is give them all a vote of confidence when they are slumping. Let them know the job is theirs and there’s no reason to have to look over your shoulder.
    Unfortunately they are not doing that with Senzel. If this weekend is any indication, Senzel is the right handed side of a CF platoon with Naquin and pinch runner. Woof.

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-19-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Meanwhile the Reds crayon eating manager is playing a 30 year old career backup over Senzel because his smartest man in the room act makes him feel like he knows better than the concept of small sample sizes or some nonsense.

I had no problem with Bell sitting Senzel on Saturday and Sunday against Indians. The pitcher Saturday, McKenzie, is very tough on RHH, and Bieber too. Senzel slumping, it’s ok.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, these younger guys can sit on occasion. Overall best approach is to play them much of the time, lower the temperature, and hope they’ll develop a comfort zone.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-19-2021 at 12:06 PM.

Turn Off Ads?