Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Do The Reds See in Jeff Hoffman?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: What Do The Reds See in Jeff Hoffman?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i'm just here to eat crow. feed me.
    I wouldn't eat it just yet. He did give up some hard contact right at people. Still, you could see his confidence building as the game went on. I'd love to be wrong about this guy too, but he's still a major project for DJ and the organization. They're overhauling everything. Sadak talked a bit about it in the broadcast.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

DocRed (04-05-2021),GAC (04-05-2021),Red Raindog (04-05-2021),Roy Tucker (04-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I’ve bemoaned the Reds’ inability to pick up cheap second-chance fireballers in recent years. I have no idea how this will turn out but he was clearly worth a second look. Radar gun readings are sort of like height and good handles in basketball. You sure like to see that at the top of the scouting report.
    He was averaging around 93, the more impressive part was his breaking stuff and hitting his spots. Same goes for Fulmer.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i'm just here to eat crow. feed me.
    No crow on the menu. Just like all of the reactions after game 1, this was just game 1 for Hoffman. Long way to go

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-05-2021),Griffey012 (04-05-2021),mth123 (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    No crow on the menu. Just like all of the reactions after game 1, this was just game 1 for Hoffman. Long way to go
    Exactly. 5 Good innings helps the cause and earns him another look, but he's had 230 innings in his career with an ERA over 6. It will take several starts like Sunday to feel comfortable while he's out there. Same is true for guys like Romano, Fulmer, Doolittle, etc. I hope Hoffman does it. This team would look a lot better if Lorenzen could wind up back in the bullpen to help bridge those middle innings.

Deleon tonight. If one of Deleon or Hoffman could stick in the rotation because they are pitching well, it improve my outlook about this team quite a bit.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-05-2021),Mitri (04-05-2021),MoneyInTheBank (04-05-2021),Revering4Blue (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly. 5 Good innings helps the cause and earns him another look, but he's had 230 innings in his career with an ERA over 6. It will take several starts like Sunday to feel comfortable while he's out there. Same is true for guys like Romano, Fulmer, Doolittle, etc. I hope Hoffman does it. This team would look a lot better if Lorenzen could wind up back in the bullpen to help bridge those middle innings.

Deleon tonight. If one of Deleon or Hoffman could stick in the rotation because they are pitching well, it improve my outlook about this team quite a bit.
    Good thing the reds are facing the pirates lineup tonight. I did not like what I saw from De Leon last season.

Hoffman is likely only getting two starts, so this start is quite meaningful in the debate.

The argument that many were making was that it was an embarrassment that he was getting even one start, that giving Hoffman even one start revealed how shallow the Reds pitching staff is.

For those posters, crow is the main course.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

HammerTime (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

I want to believe in DeLeon from Boddy's AMA on Reddit. My gut tells me he's destined to the pen.... prove me wrong Jose - PLEASE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    I want to believe in DeLeon from Boddy's AMA on Reddit. My gut tells me he's destined to the pen.... prove me wrong Jose - PLEASE.
    To me, it'd be a big win even if "all" he is able to do is pitch at a major league level out of the pen.

The issue is pitching depth to cover a 162 game season effectively.

It’s a good sign that Hoffman, who is healthy and can pitch multiple innings, did well.

Whether he starts or relieves is less important, every source of effective innings - especially multiple innings - is important.

Hope he holds up over the course of the year, good outing.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-05-2021)

I posted this in the game thread, but it fits here too:

Clearly, there was a Freaky Friday incident the morning of opening day, when Luis Castillo and Jeff Hoffman were both brushing Jonathan India’s hair, their brushes got tangled together, causing an electric, spiritual moment which resulted in Castillo and Hoffman changing bodies.

It’s the best explanation for what happened this series.

17. Likes:

M2 (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Hoffman is likely only getting two starts, so this start is quite meaningful in the debate.

The argument that many were making was that it was an embarrassment that he was getting even one start, that giving Hoffman even one start revealed how shallow the Reds pitching staff is.

For those posters, crow is the main course.
    I agree, in theory. But, let's say next outing, Hoffman goes 6 innings, 1 or 2 earned runs, I see no reason to pull him from the rotation. Lorenzen can be a secondary to Antone as a "one time through the order" high leverage reliever.

19. Likes:

mth123 (04-05-2021)

I agree, in theory. But, let's say next outing, Hoffman goes 6 innings, 1 or 2 earned runs, I see no reason to pull him from the rotation. Lorenzen can be a secondary to Antone as a "one time through the order" high leverage reliever.
    And that will prove the Hoffman critics wrong!

Yeah, if Hoffman pitches well again you leave him alone. Ideally Hoffman, De Leon, Antone and Lorenzen are basically interchangeable 4/5/long relief guys who all get plenty of innings this season.

I like Antone as a primo fireman option in the bullpen, the other three I could care less about whether they start or relieve. My guess is one of De Leon or Hoffman will flame out; if the Reds get a good swingman out of one of those guys (and get Gray's back healed-up) they'll be in good shape.

My main main Cionel can get 3-6 outs too, and Vlad looks like he'll be able to contribute once his suspension is served (though I could see the Reds giving him one last chance to start in Louisville). Lodolo could be in the mix eventually too.

You never have enough pitching. Ever ever ever. The more live arms you have, the more options you have, the better off you are. Like many have said, it’s a long season. Hopefully, Hoffman can contribute to this staff, starting or relieving and giving them some quality innings.

I am still trying to get used to the fact that the Reds’ pitching coaches really know what they are doing and making it a strength of the team. As a long time fan, I can’t ever remember this happening except in fits and starts.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-05-2021),mth123 (04-05-2021),Ron Madden (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I am still trying to get used to the fact that the Reds’ pitching coaches really know what they are doing and making it a strength of the team.
    This. The Reds have a collection of unproven but live arms. We've seen this movie before BUT the Reds finally have a coaching philosophy and staff that should turn at least a couple of these arms into gold (would ya settle for silver?)
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?