Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

  1. #16
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,218

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    I feel like there needs to be a law that anyone fired for having premarital sex gets to rampage through their former workplace with a baseball bat.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  2. Likes:

    cincinnati chili (04-19-2021)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #17
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,780

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Co-workers would be more motivated to help cover up each others’ premarital sex, if there was a chance they’d get walloped by a baseball bat for neglecting to wing man.

  5. Likes:

    M2 (03-31-2021)

  6. #18
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    27,381

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    This information had to be explained to any new employee.

    And if I was told that premarital sex was grounds for dismissal, I wouldn’t be able to stop laughing as I strolled out of that job.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

  7. Likes:

    Todd Gack (04-01-2021)

  8. #19
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,780

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This information had to be explained to any new employee.

    And if I was told that premarital sex was grounds for dismissal, I wouldn’t be able to stop laughing as I strolled out of that job.
    When they play the lyric video for Smell Yo D*** at orientation.

  9. #20
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,786

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I feel like there needs to be a law that anyone fired for having premarital sex gets to rampage through their former workplace with a baseball bat.
    And who will they hit? Like one, maybe two people and all the robots they needed to hire because they couldn't fill any positions?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  10. Likes:

    M2 (04-05-2021)

  11. #21
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    40,565

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    And who will they hit? Like one, maybe two people and all the robots they needed to hire because they couldn't fill any positions?
    So to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

  12. #22
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,526

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They don't need proof. The employee has no claim. They're an employee at will. The employer can fire them because they think they had premarital sex. Or because he didn't like the color of the shirt he or she wore on the day of termination.
    just sort of begs the question, if you can fire someone for any reason, then why have a rule like this which could create a legal problem for the employer.

  13. Likes:

    Chip R (04-21-2021)

  14. #23
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,526

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    anyway- this is actually discriminatory, id argue, because the only way they know who had premarital sex is when women who are unwed get pregnant.

    A good attorney could pick that apart and sue for lots of money, which would be awesome to see a pr*** like Dave Ramsey lose.

  15. #24
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    11,727

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    There are two ways I can think of that the employer can lose this case. One is that they can lose it as a matter of law. Assume for the sake of argument that the employer created this policy in good faith: they weren't trying to discriminate against any protected class of individuals. They weren't trying to be anti-female, anti-non-Christian, anti-disability, etc. The employer just preferred to have an office full of a bunch of prudes. If the court determines that the no-premarital-sex rule has a disparate impact on a protected class, it's unlawful. I was surprised that religious discrimination wasn't mentioned in the article. It seems to me that this policy would have a disparate impact on non-fundamentalists. Sure enough, when I pulled the complaint, there is a claim for religious discrimination thrown in at the end. Fun bedtime reading:

    https://www.pacermonitor.com/view/A6...28__0001.0.pdf

    The second way the employer can lose is if the jury believes that the proffered reason for the policy is a pretext for something else. Theoretically, in an at-will jurisdiction, you can fire someone for the craziest of reasons: you can fire someone for wearing a purple shirt, or fire someone for insisting that a burrito is a sandwich, and you can fire someone for shtoinking before they get married. But if plaintiff's explanation for why he/she was fired (because the plaintiff is an atheist; because the plaintiff's pregnancy was going to cost the company money) is more plausible than the defendant's explanation, then the jury won't think twice about finding for the plaintiff. Occam's Razor applies here. When the simplest and most plausible explanation is that the the employer is discriminating against one or more protected classes, then the jury will lean plaintiff. The more crackers the employer seems, the more likely the jury will be to find it in its heart to lean plaintiff.

    Some states which are technically "at will" have statutes that protect you from cooky employer policies such as this one. In Colorado, we have a law that prohibits employers from firing you for most types of lawful off-duty conduct:
    https://law.justia.com/codes/colorad...on-24-34-402.5
    So, for example, if you're a smoker, I can't fire you just because you smoke cigarettes in your home.

    I'm guessing Tennessee doesn't have anything like that, or we would have seen it in the complaint.
    Alice Sweet's Tomato Plant

  16. Likes:

    Dom Heffner (04-20-2021)

  17. #25
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,134

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Reading this thread makes me think that if they want to prevent their employees from having sex, they'd only hire married employees.

  18. Likes:

    Bob Sheed (04-19-2021),Chip R (04-21-2021),Dom Heffner (04-20-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-20-2021),Roy Tucker (04-21-2021)

  19. #26
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Reading this thread makes me think that if they want to prevent their employees from having sex, they'd only hire married employees.
    Every once in a while, someone just strolls in, and solves a 3 page problem in one sentence.
    “You are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.”
    ― Vandana Shiva

  20. Likes:

    Chip R (04-21-2021)

  21. #27
    Just a Fan RiverfrontRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    552

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Why wouldn't it be legal? It's a private company and it's not discriminatory.

  22. #28
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,936

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Reading this thread makes me think that if they want to prevent their employees from having sex, they'd only hire married employees.
    You ever been married?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  23. Likes:

    Dom Heffner (04-20-2021)

  24. #29
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,605

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    Why wouldn't it be legal? It's a private company and it's not discriminatory.
    How is it not discriminatory?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  25. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,554

    Re: Firing Employees who have premarital sex

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How is it not discriminatory?
    Who's it discrimatory against? Non-virgins? Not a protected class.

  26. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (04-20-2021)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator