Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elephant In The Room

Re: Elephant In The Room

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Defense, or lack thereof, is the elephant in the room.
    The Reds have elephants at 3 of 4 IF spots.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The absence of a DH hurts Reds. Votto could use some DH time at this stage. Reds might use a defensive-oriented shortstop with a DH hitter in the lineup. And there’s the corner OF duo, one of whom might be a DH.

It’s been obvious that Reds’ team needs some tinkering, this just wasn’t the off-season with the spending down.

So we’ll have to live with the imperfection of a team with good offensive players, problematic defense, and questions on a pitching staff that was excellent last season. Still enough talent to make things interesting.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-02-2021 at 08:01 AM.

4. Likes:

Mitri (04-02-2021),RiverRat13 (04-02-2021)

The elephant runs the club.

6. Likes:

gagliano (04-02-2021),REDREAD (04-02-2021)

The real elephant in the room for this org is Votto. It’s the issue nobody has addressed out loud. His bat and defense are equally in decline, possibly rapid decline. He’ll need physical and mental rests throughout the year. The DH certainly would have helped, but no luck. So the Reds need to address the elephant before it stinks up this season. Give Votto a caddy, especially against LHH, and make sure he knows how to play the position.

8. Likes:

gagliano (04-02-2021),HokieRed (04-02-2021),redsfanmia (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Reds have elephants at 3 of 4 IF spots.
    You would think that would definitely hamper your overall range factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Might improve ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    Any winning team records a lot of base hits. So as a pre opening day message. I hope the Reds log some base hits. That is all. You win most games with a whole lot of base hits. Good Luck.
    https://www.peacecorps.gov/educators...-and-elephant/

Long ago six old men lived in a village in India. Each was born blind. The other villagers loved the old men and kept them away from harm. Since the blind men could not see the world for themselves, they had to imagine many of its wonders. They listened carefully to the stories told by travelers to learn what they could about life outside the village.

The men were curious about many of the stories they heard, but they were most curious about elephants. They were told that elephants could trample forests, carry huge burdens, and frighten young and old with their loud trumpet calls. But they also knew that the Rajah's daughter rode an elephant when she traveled in her father's kingdom. Would the Rajah let his daughter get near such a dangerous creature?

The old men argued day and night about elephants. "An elephant must be a powerful giant," claimed the first blind man. He had heard stories about elephants being used to clear forests and build roads.

"No, you must be wrong," argued the second blind man. "An elephant must be graceful and gentle if a princess is to ride on its back."

"You're wrong! I have heard that an elephant can pierce a man's heart with its terrible horn," said the third blind man.

"Please," said the fourth blind man. "You are all mistaken. An elephant is nothing more than a large sort of cow. You know how people exaggerate."

"I am sure that an elephant is something magical," said the fifth blind man. "That would explain why the Rajah's daughter can travel safely throughout the kingdom."

"I don't believe elephants exist at all," declared the sixth blind man. "I think we are the victims of a cruel joke."

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-09-2021)

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Stand an elephant sideways and it's 24 feet long. Get it to lay down and it's still 7 feet tall. There's no way Suarez can cover that much area on a sharp line drive.
    Last edited by Joeyjection19; 04-02-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The real elephant in the room for this org is Votto. It’s the issue nobody has addressed out loud. His bat and defense are equally in decline, possibly rapid decline. He’ll need physical and mental rests throughout the year. The DH certainly would have helped, but no luck. So the Reds need to address the elephant before it stinks up this season. Give Votto a caddy, especially against LHH, and make sure he knows how to play the position.
    This. I mean seriously. Okay, I agree, we're stuck with him and his contract for a few more years and he has to play. But how can you say you're trying to improve our offense and leave the same guy who was MVP 11 years ago batting in the 3rd spot when his numbers are so far off his prime?

15. Likes:

gagliano (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    Any winning team records a lot of base hits. So as a pre opening day message. I hope the Reds log some base hits. That is all. You win most games with a whole lot of base hits. Good Luck.

Yes. That's the ticket. This home run derby crap got old 3 years ago. Look at the results for the reds. And suarez says he wants to hit 50 home runs this year. I'd rather hear him say he wanted 200 hits. Get the hits and the home runs will come. Imagine playing that kind of baseball!

Bingo

I was going to post something similar but was thinking I’d get a we need the Sun Deck again reply.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

19. Likes:

Mitri (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    https://www.peacecorps.gov/educators...-and-elephant/
    Long ago six old men lived in a village in India. Each was born blind. The other villagers loved the old men and kept them away from harm. Since the blind men could not see the world for themselves, they had to imagine many of its wonders. They listened carefully to the stories told by travelers to learn what they could about life outside the village.

The men were curious about many of the stories they heard, but they were most curious about elephants. They were told that elephants could trample forests, carry huge burdens, and frighten young and old with their loud trumpet calls. But they also knew that the Rajah's daughter rode an elephant when she traveled in her father's kingdom. Would the Rajah let his daughter get near such a dangerous creature?

The old men argued day and night about elephants. "An elephant must be a powerful giant," claimed the first blind man. He had heard stories about elephants being used to clear forests and build roads.

"No, you must be wrong," argued the second blind man. "An elephant must be graceful and gentle if a princess is to ride on its back."

"You're wrong! I have heard that an elephant can pierce a man's heart with its terrible horn," said the third blind man.

"Please," said the fourth blind man. "You are all mistaken. An elephant is nothing more than a large sort of cow. You know how people exaggerate."

"I am sure that an elephant is something magical," said the fifth blind man. "That would explain why the Rajah's daughter can travel safely throughout the kingdom."

"I don't believe elephants exist at all," declared the sixth blind man. "I think we are the victims of a cruel joke."
    As I once got to ride an elephant through a jungle in India, I can say that I am surprised that none of the men made a comment about the smell of elephant flatulence.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    As I once got to ride an elephant through a jungle in India, I can say that I am surprised that none of the men made a comment about the smell of elephant flatulence.
    My wife worked in the elephant barn at the zoo as a volunteer, she kept all the shoes and such from that outside of the house

Worth noting, Suarez was on base 3 times yesterday. The timing of the errors was obviously painful, but I wonder how many times the other SS candidates would have gotten on base yesterday.

It's a lot easier to notice defensive plays not made than hits/walks not gotten, but it's going to be worth keeping that in mind over the course of this season. At the end of the day, runs are runs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?