Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Elephant In The Room

Re: Elephant In The Room

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Worth noting, Suarez was on base 3 times yesterday. The timing of the errors was obviously painful, but I wonder how many times the other SS candidates would have gotten on base yesterday.

It's a lot easier to notice defensive plays not made than hits/walks not gotten, but it's going to be worth keeping that in mind over the course of this season. At the end of the day, runs are runs.
    Yeah but those errors caused multiple runs given up, including a 3 run bomb. I get your point, but if that’s the kind of defense we can expect from Suarez this year he would have to be the 2nd coming of Ted Williams to make up for how many runs he will cause.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

757690 (04-02-2021),Revering4Blue (04-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    All Pachydermed together.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My wife worked in the elephant barn at the zoo as a volunteer, she kept all the shoes and such from that outside of the house
    They eat 100 to 200 pounds of plant material a day so with that much fiber in their diet it is quite understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Actually, avoiding outs is the thing winning teams do.
    Unfortunately, the Reds are confused and attempting to do that defensively.

7. Likes:

WrongVerb (04-02-2021)

Andrelton Simmons went 2 for 4 and had a walk on Twins' opening day. Just for the record. I'm a big fan of Suarez's. He's a fine third baseman. Time for management to engage with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah but those errors caused multiple runs given up, including a 3 run bomb. I get your point, but if that’s the kind of defense we can expect from Suarez this year he would have to be the 2nd coming of Ted Williams to make up for how many runs he will cause.
    This is like saying a guy who hits 2 HR on opening day will hit 324 this season

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    This is like saying a guy who hits 2 HR on opening day will hit 324 this season
    Geno will improve defensively, Votto will only get worse.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

11. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Geno will improve defensively, Votto will only get worse.
    I’d bet the opposite myself

Can I just say that the real elephant in the room is Baseball. Winning baseball hopefully. Its been awhile. If I could adjust my thread that is what I would change it too.

"Ohhhh the weather outside is weather..."

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

With all of this hitting, I figured that the Reds BABIP would be off the charts so far in this young season. But it really isn't too much higher than it should be.

Just feels lucky after having historically bad luck all last season.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    With all of this hitting, I figured that the Reds BABIP would be off the charts so far in this young season. But it really isn't too much higher than it should be.

Just feels lucky after having historically bad luck all last season.
    Updated stats have Reds tied for second in MLB in BABIP this year. It’s pretty high, .354. Using Fangraphs.

If Reds’ offensive onslaught continues, I think we’ll see differences beyond luck. Already the K rate is lower, now sixth lowest in MLB. And the LD rate is 25.3%, one of MLB’s highest. It’s very early and these are readily changeable, but there does seem to be a new hitting approach that should contribute to any improvements.

17. Likes:

757690 (04-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Updated stats have Reds tied for second in MLB in BABIP this year. It’s pretty high, .354. Using Fangraphs.

If Reds’ offensive onslaught continues, I think we’ll see differences beyond luck. Already the K rate is lower, now sixth lowest in MLB. And the LD rate is 25.3%, one of MLB’s highest. It’s very early and these are readily changeable, but there does seem to be a new hitting approach that should contribute to any improvements.
    I agree the offensive profiles as better beyond just the good luck. Yet the whole thing comes back to pitching for me. If the Reds pitch consistently well they can bank wins when their bats are hot and grind out results when their bats are cold. We've seen too many versions of this team where the only hope they had was to score in massive amounts. I have some hope that won't be the case with the 2021 model.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-08-2021),HokieRed (04-09-2021),ochoa30 (04-08-2021),Old school 1983 (04-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree the offensive profiles as better beyond just the good luck. Yet the whole thing comes back to pitching for me. If the Reds pitch consistently well they can bank wins when their bats are hot and grind out results when their bats are cold. We've seen too many versions of this team where the only hope they had was to score in massive amounts. I have some hope that won't be the case with the 2021 model.
    I said early on in the thread that pitching is the elephant in the room.

Interesting also to discuss why the offense is, and hopefully will remain, much better than last season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-08-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

The BABIP is actually low for the line drive rate. I thought it was supposed to be about .120 above?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?