Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Re: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Just curious: does anyone think the baseball media is stone in love with this ohtani guy in LA? I mean there is something about this guy in the news every single day. The guy could clip his toenails and it's news. So he pitches and bats. Big deal. So does mike lorenzen. I just don't think ohtani is impressive enough to have all that ink spilled about him. He's won FOUR games in 4 years. He hit .280 a couple of times. Seriously. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by gagliano; 04-09-2021 at 12:05 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (04-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano View Post
    Just curious: does anyone think the baseball media is stone in love with this ohtani guy in LA? I mean there is something about this guy in the news every single day. The guy could clip his toenails and it's news. So he pitches and bats. Big deal. So does mike lorenzen. I just don't think ohtani is impressive enough to have all that ink spilled about him. He's won FOUR games in 4 years. He hit .280 a couple of times. Seriously. Just my opinion.
    Seriously Lorenzen as batter is a tear in a salted sea compared to Ohtani, it's like comparing Tang and Fresh squeezed OJ, it's Chocolate vs Carob.

As for pitching AND hitting, he had a career in Japan that Lorenzen can only dream of

.286/.358/.500 - 1170 PAs

42-15 2.55 ERA in over 500 IP

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-09-2021)

The White Sox batted three guys in a row whose first name started with a Y yesterday, the third time this year

Yoan Moncada
    Yermin Mercedes
    Yasmani Grandal

Got to be a first

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-09-2021)

Y not?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The White Sox batted three guys in a row whose first name started with a Y yesterday, the third time this year

Yoan Moncada
    Yermin Mercedes
    Yasmani Grandal

Got to be a first

Yoan Moncada
    Yermin Mercedes
    Yasmani Grandal

Got to be a first
    I think in Spring Training a few years back the Reds ran out a lineup with 6 guys whose first name started with a "J." Last year they focused on having guys whose first and last initials were the same. Good times for those of use who take things such as the recent 4-3-21 day as momentous.

10. Likes:

westofyou (04-09-2021)

Yoan Moncada
    Yermin Mercedes
    Yasmani Grandal

Got to be a first
    Yete Rose
    Yen Griffey
    Yoe Morgan
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

klw (04-09-2021),M2 (04-09-2021),westofyou (04-09-2021)

Ohtani is the ultimate novelty.. He's from Japan. He pitches and DHs. He's in LA.
    I agree, I could care less about him, but the media loves that stuff.
    Remember when Bo Jackson made the highlights every night, even if he went 0-5? I remember one night, he went hitless, but got a groundball out RBI, and that's what made the highlight reel. lol.. The guy was a great athlete, not that great of a baseball player to warrant all the attention he got. He was just another novelty.. 2 sport guy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Who are some players you think the national baseball media is overlooking to cover Ohtani?

Problem with Ohtani is he's probably the most fragile player in baseball.

He's been in the league since 2018 and has played in 261 out of 391 games as a DH and has only made 13 starts as a pitcher. I don't disagree with the hype, he's got the talent, but I do agree the media coverage is a bit overblown for him, especially when you hear far more about him than his teammate who's been the best player in baseball for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Yete Rose
    Yen Griffey
    Yoe Morgan
    this lineup brought to you by Yerba Mate

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Who are some players you think the national baseball media is overlooking to cover Ohtani?
    Considering the only nationally broadcasted game so far had him throw the ball over 100 over 100 MPH and jack a mammoth HR I'm surprised that we are 8 days into the season and some are already calling him over hyped.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-09-2021),Chip R (04-12-2021),Griffey012 (04-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    They are welcomed to practice near the Yerba Buena Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    Sadly the president of their fan site is:

Yee O'Littlefaith

Ohtani has a 2b and a HR plus 4 RBIs tonight, so far

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-10-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nothing going on for the Padres' Joe Musgrove against Texas in the 7th.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?