Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Re: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'll never understand why MLB insists on having an "OFF" day the day after Opening Day.
    It's not everywhere but it's always an off day here

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Really simple answer, weather.
    So?

MLB---

A total of 256 players represented 20 different countries and territories outside of the 50 United States on 2021 Opening Day rosters and inactive lists, Major League Baseball announced today.

The total of 256 international players marks the third-most all-time on Opening Day rosters, behind only 2020 (291, with expanded 30-man active rosters) and 2017 (259).

The 256 players born outside the U.S. (28%) come from a pool of 906 players on April 1st rosters (780 active 26-man roster players and 126 inactive players - 68 players on 10-day Injured Lists, 48 players on 60-day Injured Lists, 9 players on Restricted Lists, and 1 player on Paternity Leave).

Opening Day and inactive list players represented 20 countries and territories by birthplace, tied with 2019 and 2020 for the second-highest total behind only the record 21 countries and territories represented in 2018.

650 - U.S.A. (50 states only)
    98 - Dominican Republic (has led countries and territories outside the U.S. each year since MLB began releasing this annual data in 1995)
    64 - Venezuela
    19 - Cuba
    18 - Puerto Rico
    11 - Mexico
    10 - Canada
    8 - Japan
    6 - Colombia
    5 - Cuarcao (highest total from Curacao on an opening day roster)
    4 - South Korea
    2 - Panama
    1 - Aruba
    1 - Australia
    1 - Bahamas (first time a player born in the Bahamas has a appeared on an opening day roster)
    1 - Brazil
    1 - Germany
    1 - Honduras
    1 - Netherlands
    1 - Nicaragua
    1 - Taiwan

*For the 2021 season, MLB will have 137 media partners broadcasting games and highlights to 223 countries and territories in up to 15 languages globally.

5. Likes:

757690 (04-02-2021),M2 (04-02-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-02-2021)

So?
    Northern cities have a much higher chance of having adverse weather in late March and/or early April. Therefor, MLB usually puts in an off-day the day following opening day so that the game can be made up (especially for teams opening in northern cities).

MLB plays 162 regular season games in 183 days...the number of off-days is stipulated by the CBA. Neither owners nor players like double headers.

Does that suffice?

7. Likes:

Chip R (04-07-2021)

Northern cities have a much higher chance of having adverse weather in late March and/or early April. Therefor, MLB usually puts in an off-day the day following opening day so that the game can be made up (especially for teams opening in northern cities).

MLB plays 162 regular season games in 183 days...the number of off-days is stipulated by the CBA. Neither owners nor players like double headers.

Does that suffice?
    No. What does a DH have to do with it? If they aren't even going to allow that many fans to show up any way, what difference does it make if there's a rainout?

Bauer has a no hitter thru 6 in his Dodgers debut.

I genuinely cannot tell what's going on in the discussion above me. I thought everyone knew why the day after opening day was an off day.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

I genuinely cannot tell what's going on in the discussion above me. I thought everyone knew why the day after opening day was an off day.
    Only has 76 pitches as well.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-03-2021)

No. What does a DH have to do with it? If they aren't even going to allow that many fans to show up any way, what difference does it make if there's a rainout?
    Yeah, I'm not sure how differently I can explain it. As I said, it's due to adverse weather, if a game is rained/snowed out it has to be made up. There are only so many off-days in a season to make it up, and MLB is hamstrung by a number of sublines in the CBA as to when those off-days can be used for makeups. For the most part, MLB is required to give all teams at least one off-day every 21st day of the season. That number is reduced when factoring in road-trips across time zones, etc. There are more sublines regarding when makeup days can/can't occur before a team heads out on a road trip. When/if doubleheaders can be played. Etc...

Not sure what any of this has to do with the attendance of a game. As you saw last year, games go on even if no one is there.

Robert Stephenson made his debut as a Rockie.

He gave up a hit, a run scored on an error by him at first base.

Oh the memories
    What would you say.....ya do here?

So he improved?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

DocRed (04-03-2021)

Angels just put Raisel into a game they’re losing 7-6 in the top of the 9th. He gave up a HR to the first batter Tim Anderson. Then got an out and gave up a single and now he’s yanked.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Mitri (04-03-2021),Ron Madden (04-03-2021),wally post (04-03-2021)

Well they should know better putting him in when it's not a save situation.
    Go Gators!

21. Likes:

Big Klu (04-03-2021),Chip R (04-07-2021)

Yeah, I'm not sure how differently I can explain it. As I said, it's due to adverse weather, if a game is rained/snowed out it has to be made up. There are only so many off-days in a season to make it up, and MLB is hamstrung by a number of sublines in the CBA as to when those off-days can be used for makeups. For the most part, MLB is required to give all teams at least one off-day every 21st day of the season. That number is reduced when factoring in road-trips across time zones, etc. There are more sublines regarding when makeup days can/can't occur before a team heads out on a road trip. When/if doubleheaders can be played. Etc...

Not sure what any of this has to do with the attendance of a game. As you saw last year, games go on even if no one is there.
    So we have 6 months off. Play 1 day. Then give 1 day off. It's about as genius idea as MLB having OPENING Day on a Monday. Took them decades to figure out how terrible of an idea that was until they finally changed.

There are plenty of other days throughout the season to have "OFF-Days." If there's a rain-out, play a DH later in the season. It's really not that tough to do.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-03-2021),Tony Cloninger (04-03-2021)

Oh I know. MLB is just idiotic.

25. Likes:

DocRed (04-03-2021),Revering4Blue (04-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?