Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Re: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Doesn't the day off after opening day also have a lot to do with opening day parade/ceremony stuff? If the first game got rained out then they could just do it easily the next day.

2. Likes:

mth123 (04-03-2021),REDREAD (04-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I see nothing political about playing the national anthem, honoring the first African American to play ML baseball, or standing up to cancer. The Georgia voting act is clearly a political issue that will undoubtedly result in a law suit that will divide Democrats and Republicans and ultimately be decided in the courts. Further, neither the Atlanta Braves nor the city of Atlanta had anything to do with this law. I believe MLB should have left the issue alone.
    Allowing Jackie Robinson to play was very much a political issue at the time.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-03-2021),Tom Servo (04-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-03-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Double nothing going on between the Brewers and Twins in the 6th.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-03-2021),HammerTime (04-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Double nothing going on between the Brewers and Twins in the 6th.
    Corbin Burnes and José Berríos both have no-hitters in tact through six innings in Milwaukee. They’ve combined for 23 strikeouts and zero walks (though each has hit a batter).

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Corbin Burnes and José Berríos both have no-hitters in tact through six innings in Milwaukee. They’ve combined for 23 strikeouts and zero walks (though each has hit a batter).
    Buxton went deep. Berrios no no still intact.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-03-2021)

Taylor Rodgers takes over to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    So we have 6 months off. Play 1 day. Then give 1 day off. It's about as genius idea as MLB having OPENING Day on a Monday. Took them decades to figure out how terrible of an idea that was until they finally changed.

There are plenty of other days throughout the season to have "OFF-Days." If there's a rain-out, play a DH later in the season. It's really not that tough to do.
    I am not taking sides, but the reason that the Reds have day 2 off is becauase opening day is a sellout and a big deal, and if there's a rainout, they want to make it up on day two. So blame the Reds, not the schedulers. I am not sure if other teams requested the same, but it has been mentioned several times by the media and Reds' officials, the Reds want day 2 off.
    Don't ask me for a link to prove it though If someone doesn't believe me, that's fine.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-04-2021),Revering4Blue (04-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    would have been nice to extend him for a couple years on a reasonable salary. Giants got him for a little over $3M last year, but signed him for $18.9M this season. If he continues to pitch like he did today, it would be a value.
    It was a 9million contract not 3million.

Latest on Nats Covid situation - the Cubs curse continues...https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/...01212967665666

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    They care about the bottom dollar, and can see where the country is going to mostly support them.
    I know nothing about this issue. Absolutely nothing. And I think the MLB is greatly underestimating the number of people that want politics out of the game. Besides, even if you think he is right, Manfred is not the guy you want to be point-man on making the case.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    MLB plays the national anthem before every game.
    They have weekends dedicated to fighting cancer.
    They desegregated the game with Jackie Robinson...

They have never stuck to “just baseball”
    Desegregating the game has everything to do with baseball. I don't see your point about the other two.

Nevermind. I am switching sides. This action by Georgians, doing whatever it is they are doing, cannot go unpunished. And all the major league cities are complicit as well. The All-star game should be permanently canceled- everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Desegregating the game has everything to do with baseball. I don't see your point about the other two.

Nevermind. I am switching sides. This action by Georgians, doing whatever it is they are doing, cannot go unpunished. And all the major league cities are complicit as well. The All-star game should be permanently canceled- everywhere.
    I know very little about this issue and really don't want to know any more. But if cancelling the All Star game permanently is an option, I'm in favor because it's the most boring and pointless 4 days of the year. The All Star game outlived its usefulness once cable and access to all the games came around and all the highlight shows show us all these players and plays every day. There isn't a need for an exhibition game where players go through the motions just so the fans can get a peak at the stars any more. There was a need for that in the 1940s and even the 1970s, but not anymore. We see these guys every day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

LeDoux (04-04-2021),REDREAD (04-05-2021),Todd Gack (04-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There isn't a need for an exhibition game where players go through the motions just so the fans can get a peak at the stars any more.
    Meanwhile Pete Rose is like

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Meanwhile Pete Rose is like

Yeah. I watched that game on TV and was jumping up and down happy when it happened.

That isn't what it's like now. It's just some photo ops of all the stars in one place and nobody cares who wins. The players move around more and aren't locked into there teams as long so thet switch leagues and everyone gets a chance to see them and we have tons of access to see them in action on a daily basis. No need for an all star game to get a once per year look at Harmon Killebrew or Wilbur Wood. We see Mike Trout on the highlights daily and can watch a game he's playing in whenever we want to.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

24. Likes:

REDREAD (04-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?