Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel leaves Opening Day game with yet another injury.

Re: Senzel leaves Opening Day game with yet another injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    I feel like he is Pete Rose without Rose's body. Hard to tell him no so you know he will never stop. He will sacrifice an entire season for whatever it takes. I fear injury but I admire his heart.
    Maybe move him or India to SS. I bet they play well. Nothing to lose.

2. Likes:

LeDoux (04-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Hopefully this was no big deal. This was the only post-game update I have seen:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/nick-senzel...game_pk=634636
    “It was significant enough to come out of the game, but we probably won’t have the full knowledge of what to expect until tomorrow,” Reds manager David Bell said of Senzel's injury. “I do think, indications right now, he’s going to be OK. We’ll just have to see how many days it will be. Hopefully we’ll have him back this weekend.”

5. Likes:

goreds2 (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021)

He doesn't seem to have a good track record, as far as health goes, does he? I feel for this young man because I know this has to frustrate him more then the fanbase. But CF is not the place for a player who proves fragile. Too demanding.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-02-2021),goreds2 (04-02-2021),ochoa30 (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    This may sound weird, but I think Senzel tries too hard and goes beyond his regular athleticism. He needs to just play his game, let his talent show, and get some MLB-level playing time in and calm the heck down. Don’t try to do too much.
    I guess I'll have to disagree. I know most will roll their eyes, but I run a pretty competitive softball team. We were the best local team last year. There were 2 or 3 better "Cincinnati" teams, but they were national travel teams, and weren't allowed to play in majority of the local events. The majority of the guys on my team either played minor league baseball or college baseball. Now I'm not comparing what we do to MLB or anything close to it, so please don't get up in arms.

Point being, I see that play made multiple times a weekend, and no one thinks twice about it. Not to mention the outfields we play on look like plinko boards. When he got up, after he made the play, his face told it all. I knew he was hurt again. They need to decide if he hits enough to play the corners, or use him off the bench as a super sub. That way if he gets hurt, it's no big loss. Nothing against the guy. It is what it is. I don't think he's soft between the ears, like some suggest. There was nothing on that play that was out of the norm for a CFer. He dove on perfect grass, with no one around him, and there was nothing awkward about it at all. He should have been fine, but he wasn't. They need to make decisions based on that.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

9. Likes:

bm1475 (04-02-2021),Bob Sheed (04-02-2021),goreds2 (04-02-2021),Old school 1983 (04-02-2021),REDREAD (04-02-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He doesn't seem to have a good track record, as far as health goes, does he? I feel for this young man because I know this has to frustrate him more then the fanbase. But CF is not the place for a player who proves fragile. Too demanding.
    I agree it’s the CF position that’s the issue. Until the DH comes back, or some trades are made, he’ll be in CF. Needs to learn to avoid too much diving or other risky plays. Over time, Reds should consider a different position.

Again, the guy still has lots of potential, I wouldn’t do anything drastic. Some injury prone players can be effective with sufficient backup. Glad it doesn’t appear serious.

Naquin's career OPS against RHP is nearly .800 and he has played over 136 games at CF. Let's hope he gets a decent look while Senzel and Akiyama are out.

12. Likes:

malcontent (04-02-2021),Tony Cloninger (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Paul Molitor was a super-talented player who had difficulty staying on the field as a young player. He started his career at 3B, 2B, and CF, but wasn't until he settled in as a DH/1B that he became the Paul Molitor we all know.
    Position aside, Molitor played a 160 game season at age 25. Senzel is 26 this season and I'm guessing he's not making it to 160 games. Perhaps, as you suggest a position change is warranted? Get him back at 2B or let him learn 1B as the "heir" to Votto?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Position aside, Molitor played a 160 game season at age 25. Senzel is 26 this season and I'm guessing he's not making it to 160 games. Perhaps, as you suggest a position change is warranted? Get him back at 2B or let him learn 1B as the "heir" to Votto?
    I agree. 2B might be the best solution. Can India even remotely play SS?
    Last edited by RedsFanInMS; 04-02-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Mess up post
    Last edited by RedsFanInMS; 04-02-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Naquin's career OPS against RHP is nearly .800 and he has played over 136 games at CF. Let's hope he gets a decent look while Senzel and Akiyama are out.
    No problem with Naquin on the bench but his numbers don’t show me a regular player or even a platoon LHH. Big split between Ks and BBs, not the kind of disciplined hitter for the regular lineup. If he was a top defender in CF maybe, but otherwise seems like a pure backup.

No idea what Reds’ plans are when Shogo gets back. Naquin as a LHH may be deemed redundant of Shogo. OTOH, Aquino has not shown that much and maybe Reds want an extra LHH.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-02-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Paul Molitor was a super-talented player who had difficulty staying on the field as a young player. He started his career at 3B, 2B, and CF, but wasn't until he settled in as a DH/1B that he became the Paul Molitor we all know.
    Paul Molitor Plate Appearances from age 21-26:
    1978 Age 21 556 PA
    1979 Age 22 645 PA
    1980 Age 23 512 PA(All Star)
    1981 Age 24 284 PA(strike)
    1982 Age 25 715 PA(led MLB)
    1983 Age 26 682 PA

Nick Senzel plate appearances age 21-26 including minors:
    2016 Age 21 290 PA
    2017 Age 22 507 PA
    2018 Age 23 193 PA
    2019 Age 24 452 PA
    2020 Age 25 78 PA(pandemic)
    2021 Age 26 1 PA(hurt again ?)

Not a real great comparison. I really, really hope Senzel becomes great like Molitor, but as time passes it looks like he might become more like a Shawn Abner.

I'm concerned that if it's his left shoulder, that this will affect his hitting more than his fielding

19. Likes:

goreds2 (04-02-2021),Old school 1983 (04-02-2021)

Senzel will tough it out, throw some dirt on it and he'll be good to go Sat. Go Reds!

Senzel never should have been moved to CF in the first place.

I agree, corner OF, 1B, or DH is where he belongs.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Mess up post
    (in the cadence of Hey Batter Batter)

HEEEEEEEY POSTER POSTER POSTER!!!! HEEYYYY POSTER POSTER POSTER!!!! POST!!! POST!!
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

23. Likes:

gagliano (04-03-2021),malcontent (04-02-2021)

Turn Off Ads?