Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel leaves Opening Day game with yet another injury.

Re: Senzel leaves Opening Day game with yet another injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    Maybe move him or India to SS. I bet they play well. Nothing to lose.
    India at short. Senzel at second. I like it. And it is not like this is any weirder than moving Suarez over.

2. Likes:

gagliano (04-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Senzel never should have been moved to CF in the first place.

I agree, corner OF, 1B, or DH is where he belongs.
    I'm not sure anywhere on the field keeps him healthy. He's out the first time he hit the ground to get the ball. Some version of that is going to happen at every position. Even if you confine him to DH, he's going to swing, run and slide. That seems like enough to shatter him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Crumbley (04-02-2021),DocRed (04-02-2021),gagliano (04-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not sure anywhere on the field keeps him healthy. He's out the first time he hit the ground to get the ball. Some version of that is going to happen at every position. Even if you confine him to DH, he's going to swing, run and slide. That seems like enough to shatter him.
    There are varying degrees of wear and tear for each position. Your chances of keeping Senzel healthy are much better at DH than they are at CF, to use the most extreme variation as an example. But even a move to one of the corner OF positions would increase his chances to stay healthy quite a bit.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Right. He fractured a finger while playing 2B in the minors. It just is what it is at this point. I feel bad for him.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    India at short. Senzel at second. I like it. And it is not like this is any weirder than moving Suarez over.
    I disagree. Just let India play every day at 2B. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole is why we got here with Senzel. Just consider him a sunk cost and move on. Can’t screw around with another young players development because another is made of glass. It is what it is.

Senzel is Brett Lawrie 2.0
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I have to assume that Senzel's lost time due to Covid and Vertigo had nothing to do with what position he was playing nor is a sign he is glass.

10. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021),WVRedsFan (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I have to assume that Senzel's lost time due to Covid and Vertigo had nothing to do with what position he was playing nor is a sign he is glass.
    Yes, but he has suffered with physical injuries his entire career as well.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I genuinely kind of wonder if Nick has some kind of muscular condition or something, like an arthritis or something like that which leads him to be extremely injury prone.

I know I’ve had to be tested for that and other similar conditions over the last few years because I started developing mysterious chronic pain myself, and I also had some pretty extreme vertigo episodes for a few months that eventually went away.

Obviously I’m not a doctor or anything, but I’ve kind of had that experience myself. If I were the Reds I think I’d be giving him the full battery of tests for those sort of things at this point.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I disagree. Just let India play every day at 2B. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole is why we got here with Senzel. Just consider him a sunk cost and move on. Can’t screw around with another young players development because another is made of glass. It is what it is.

Senzel is Brett Lawrie 2.0
    Maybe. I will admit that there will be adjustments. But my two-cents is that Suarez at short is cinder block trying to be fit into a 3" round hole. I also wouldn't mind Votto and Moustakas sharing time. And my old-timer thinking is that every major-leaguer is developed. It is time to put players where they have the best chance to help the team win games.

15. Likes:

gagliano (04-03-2021),wlf WV (04-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    There are varying degrees of wear and tear for each position. Your chances of keeping Senzel healthy are much better at DH than they are at CF, to use the most extreme variation as an example. But even a move to one of the corner OF positions would increase his chances to stay healthy quite a bit.
    I agree with you in a general sense. CFs taking a pounding. Yet Senzel has an uncanny ability to break. He gets the 100-year-flood version of everything. If he gets a hangnail they might need to amputate his finger. So, I'm all for protecting him as best they can, but I wonder if it's a hopeless task.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

gagliano (04-03-2021)

I agree with you in a general sense. CFs taking a pounding. Yet Senzel has an uncanny ability to break. He gets the 100-year-flood version of everything. If he gets a hangnail they might need to amputate his finger. So, I'm all for protecting him as best they can, but I wonder if it's a hopeless task.
    Didn't Doug Gray say it wasn't a big deal for Senzel to play CF or was he arguing the opposite?
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 04-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Maybe. I will admit that there will be adjustments. But my two-cents is that Suarez at short is cinder block trying to be fit into a 3" round hole. I also wouldn't mind Votto and Moustakas sharing time. And my old-timer thinking is that every major-leaguer is developed. It is time to put players where they have the best chance to help the team win games.
    Suarez shouldn’t be at SS. That’s not India’s fault. The problem is the Reds refuse to put big boy pants on and make hard decisions. The hard truth is the moment they extended Suarez years ago they should have traded Senzel. Now they need to either trade Suarez, Moose, or bench Votto. Then acquire an actual shortstop. The reds cannot continue to compound mistakes. It’s absurd.

20. Likes:

Frank Robinson (04-04-2021),gagliano (04-03-2021),REDREAD (04-02-2021),Todd Gack (04-02-2021),wlf WV (04-03-2021)

Suarez shouldn’t be at SS. That’s not India’s fault. The problem is the Reds refuse to put big boy pants on and make hard decisions. The hard truth is the moment they extended Suarez years ago they should have traded Senzel. Now they need to either trade Suarez, Moose, or bench Votto. Then acquire an actual shortstop. The reds cannot continue to compound mistakes. It’s absurd.
    I am not really in disagreement about what the Reds should have done. I don't know. And I am not blaming India or Suarez. I like both of those guys. The blame, if I am forced to cast it, is with Bell. But moving forward with what the Reds have now- Shogo (8), Senzel (4), and India (6) seems like a much higher defensive (and perhaps offensive) ceiling than Senzel (8), India (4), and Suarez (6). There appears to be no SS ready to break in. The Reds claim to be cash-strapped. In my opinion, it is time to retool to the current reality. I do not see any big changes coming for the next two years.

22. Likes:

gagliano (04-03-2021),REDREAD (04-02-2021)

Maybe the Reds can get a uniform exception for him and design a giant bubble for him to play and live in. It could have a remote control glove as well as a remote control bat. He could live in the bubble 24/7 and not be exposed to viruses and be protected from outfield walls and turf. I'm not sure how to protect him from the vertigo with the bubble, but I'm sure someone can figure out something on that end.

24. Likes:

gagliano (04-03-2021)

I agree that is what the Reds should do. I am not optimistic that they will do that. If they don’t do it, I wouldn’t be upset if they moved India to SS.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?