Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Re: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Welsh turns 66 tomorrow and his voice in noticeably weaker to me. Maybe he's looking to cut back and this is just part of the transition. I like Welsh better than Brantley and Larkin as a color man, but there could be lots of reasons.
    I doubt Welsh is behind his decline in TV games. He sounded good last night on radio despite Tommy having to tell him to turn on his mic at the top of the broadcast. Welsh commented that on TV somebody else takes care of turning the mic on. Not sure if that was a nod to the Thom hot mic slip-up from last season.

Brantley is contracted to work 25 games on TV. Welsh will work the other 55 road games on TV. (One road game is slated for FOX)

Welsh will work on radio when Brantley is on TV. It seems to me that Welsh will also work radio when Brantley is on vacation. It seems as if Brantley usually has about 25 games off per year, give or take a few.

Welsh will also sit at the TV pre-game show & TV post-game show desk for select home games taking the seat of Sam LeCure, which we saw during the first homestand which I'm guessing will be about 30 of the 81 home games.

This will give Welsh about 25 games off to equal the number Brantley has off.

It seems like he will work just as many games as he did last year, he just won't be in the TV booth for nearly as many.

Here is a summary of where I predict Welsh will be working this season:
    TV (all road): 55 games
    Radio (half home, half road): 50 games
    Pre/post-game desk (all home): 30 games
    Vacation: 25 games

I doubt any changes would have been made had Thom not had his hot mic slip-up. Welsh would have worked his usual 125 games on TV and that would have been it. The addition of Larkin added diversity to the broadcast team. I noticed the Reds were taking some heat on social media for having one of the least-diverse broadcast teams in professional sports. The slip-up made management get creative and make some changes.
    Last edited by jhc2010; 04-13-2021 at 02:33 PM.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-13-2021),Bob Sheed (04-13-2021),goreds2 (04-13-2021),Ron Madden (04-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jhc2010 View Post
    I noticed the Reds were taking some heat on social media for having one of the least-diverse broadcast teams in professional sports. The slip-up made management get creative and make some changes.
    They really didn't do much, I mean Danny Graves is Asian as is gone from the broadcast team. Larkin will get more air time I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Sadek is annoyingly bad at judging fly balls...

I haven't listened to radio broadcasts much this year. How are they dividing up the PBP? Still Brantley during 3/4/7 like in the Marty era?

I love Welsh on TV, but never thought he quite cut it on radio. Brantley is the opposite, although Brantley paired with Sadak has so far been quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    And passed balls, he makes each one sound like the guy is going to score from 2nd.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-17-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I gave him a break while they were on the road since he only gets the same TV feed we do, but yeah, he had a few groan worthy flyball calls today for being at the actual game in person.

Its fair to criticize Sadak for that stuff but it really doesn't matter much to me. Thom was constantly fooled by flyballs and that was like the least annoying thing about him. I'm just glad to have a Reds announcer who can handle PBP and actually LIKES baseball and the Reds to boot. I'll take Sadak's nerdy pop culture references happily after years of Thom's weird semi-political rants.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

757690 (04-17-2021),919191 (04-20-2021),Bourgeois Zee (04-18-2021),Fil3232 (04-17-2021),goldglover9 (04-18-2021),goreds2 (04-18-2021),jwdoc77 (04-17-2021),marcshoe (04-17-2021),Mitri (04-18-2021),OesterPoster (04-19-2021),Playadlc (04-18-2021),RedsfaninMT (04-18-2021),Ron Madden (04-17-2021),Roy Tucker (04-25-2021),sdwagers (04-18-2021),StRedlegs900 (04-17-2021),wally post (04-18-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-17-2021),WrongVerb (04-18-2021)

When you consider the most annoying sports announcer in the universe is guest-hosting Jeopardy the next two weeks, I'll take these guys.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

757690 (04-18-2021)

I wish Sadak had another level of excitement. Something for a big play, but not something legitimately awesome. He's kinda similar to Gus Johnson in the sense where everything is normal or it's 100. He can nail the huge moments of games, but a well hit flyball out in the 4th inning isn't a huge moment.
    Last edited by Stray; 04-18-2021 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    When you consider the most annoying sports announcer in the universe is guest-hosting Jeopardy the next two weeks, I'll take these guys.
    I see a lot of annoying people on the guest-host list, but none of the ones I saw are sports announcers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I wish Sadak had another level of excitement. Something for a big play, but not something legitimately awesome. He's kinda similar to Gus Johnson in the sense where everything is normal or it's 100. He can nail the huge moments of games, but a well hit flyball out in the 4th inning isn't a huge moment.
    That is annoying as well. Another is he uses way too many adjectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I see a lot of annoying people on the guest-host list, but none of the ones I saw are sports announcers.
    I'd read initially his unannounced shows would air next week, but that wasn't right--they'll air later in the summer, and he's being mentioned as a possible permanent host.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/17/joe-b...-levar-burton/
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'd read initially his unannounced shows would air next week, but that wasn't right--they'll air later in the summer, and he's being mentioned as a possible permanent host.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/17/joe-b...-levar-burton/
    Good grief, hard to think of anyone worse then Joe Buck, I guess Chris Berman was too busy with carshield commercials.
    Go Gators!

19. Likes:

757690 (04-25-2021),goreds2 (04-18-2021)

FWIW... I have a hard time judging these at GABP vs. Riverfront. I think a closed in stadium backdrop makes it easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Dang, tough crowd here. I've found Sadak and the rest of the broadcast team refreshing and fun to listen to. Yes, Sadak gets over the top with his announcer voice sometimes and no, I dont agree with everything Larkin says. But I enjoy Sadak's energy and turns of phrases and I enjoy the new insights and stories from Barry. It's also their second week on the job, they'll only improve together.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

22. Likes:

mth123 (04-18-2021),RedsfaninMT (04-18-2021),Ron Madden (04-18-2021),Tom Servo (04-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?