Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Talked a little much, but did a great job in my opinion. Thoughts? Sorry about the major misspelling. Moderator, Correct or deleted thread. I am over here creating work.
    Last edited by Hamilton95; 04-01-2021 at 09:28 PM. Reason: BARRY larkin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Sadak, Barrly Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Really like Sadak. I wasn’t too enamored with Larkin, thought he dominated the conversation too much when it would have been better to let Sadak and Welsh do their thing with Larkin chipping in.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-02-2021),cincinnati chili (04-03-2021),Indymoon (04-06-2021),Ironman92 (04-02-2021),Red Raindog (04-05-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021),TommyJ (04-02-2021)

I enjoyed them. Sadak seems like a natural, I've always enjoyed Welsh. Barry..... it was his first day. I didn't love him today, but I think he will get better.

6. Likes:

goldglover9 (04-02-2021),Kilgore_Trout (04-01-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021)

Sadak is clear improvement over you know who.

I think Larkin would get better over time. He did talk too much and dominate the discussion, but that could just be nervousness.

8. Likes:

goldglover9 (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021)

I liked Sadak, he got a little too excited at times, but it does feel like he's a natural. Larkin was fine. It was his first day and it seems like on opening day there's a lot more conversation to be had than the rest of the season. The two man booth is better, though. It felt like Welsh was getting left out.

10. Likes:

marcshoe (04-01-2021)

Loved Sadak. Reminds me a lot of Dan Shulman from ESPN.

Welsh sounded tired and hoarse.

Barry talked a little too much. But, told some good stories. I loved the story about the manager telling the team they were guaranteed to lose at least half their games on opening day. Plus, he gave some decent insights. But, I've also become pretty anti-analytics and what it's done to the game. So, I'm probably not a good barometer for whether redszone will like Larkin.

12. Likes:

marcshoe (04-01-2021),Reds (04-03-2021)

Larkin is souring my fond memory of him. He's Joe Morgan 2.0 -- completely stuck in his understanding of how the game was played back when he was in his day. I think he mentioned the importance of productive outs at least a half dozen times. He made a point to call it out as a key thing for #2 batters -- this is in a game where Paul Goldschmidt and Joey Votto were batting 2nd.

Barry, Stories are great. Insights into execution are great. And yes, productive outs are better than non-productive outs. But please, PLEASE learn from the last 20 years of knowledge. Having your HOF caliber batters bunt in the 1st inning is the epitome of losing baseball.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed Sadak. I generally like Welsh, but he wasn't on his game today.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-02-2021),cincinnati chili (04-03-2021),pahster (04-02-2021),Revering4Blue (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021),Tom Servo (04-01-2021),TommyJ (04-02-2021)

Fundamentally I don't think two color guys in the booth work. There's not enough time for both Barry and Chris to get their thoughts in. I think Barry would be fine if they dropped Chris or vice versa. This is a flawed idea...one of many from this organization unfortunately

16. Likes:

goreds2 (04-02-2021),pahster (04-02-2021),REDREAD (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Fundamentally I don't think two color guys in the booth work. There's not enough time for both Barry and Chris to get their thoughts in. I think Barry would be fine if they dropped Chris or vice versa. This is a flawed idea...one of many from this organization unfortunately
    I thought Larkin was terrible. Talked way too much. Hardly knew Welch was there. Sadak has a good PBP voice. But he got too loud making calls that were routine outs. I think he was nervous and Will be fine.
    I agree Larkin or Welch pick one on color. Two color guys doesn't work.
    Larkin needs to talk about the game in front of him more and not the 90 Reds. A story about his playing days every now and then is fine but he went overboard.
    Has nothing to do with this topic but I think Larkin would make a horrible manager. This is 2021 not 1990 and the game is played different. He kept calling for guys to lay down Sac bunts.

18. Likes:

Joeyjection19 (04-02-2021),pahster (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021),TommyJ (04-02-2021)

if sadak chills on the overpronunciation of spanish names, he will be excellent.

and yes, hate to say it, but lark is awful.

probably just an opening day thing. if you noticed, welsh was even in a different area than sadak and larkin. i would imagine most games (if not all games from now on) will have a 2-man booth. sometimes sadak/welsh, sometimes sadak/larkin. and when we're lucky, sadak/brantley. brantley is so good as a color broadcaster on tv. that's his wheelhouse. no one seems to realize it.

Three guy booths are always annoying, Sedak is a little too game show host like but he's not horribly awful, look forward to hearing how the two man booth goes.
    Go Gators!

22. Likes:

NC Reds (04-02-2021),westofyou (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Three guy booths are always annoying, Sedak is a little too game show host like but he's not horribly awful, look forward to hearing how the two man booth goes.
    I heard Sadak call some March Madness games this year on Westwood One and noticed he's pretty over the top with his pronunciations. I think he calls a good game, he just needs to turn the announcer voice down a notch.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Do what I do, and turn the tv on mute - radio on. Thrall and Brantley were good.

Due to Thom talking incessantly, I've become accustomed to excess talking, with Brantley at least it's about food.

25. Likes:

goreds2 (04-02-2021),RedsRocker (04-30-2021)

I didn't think it was too bad with any combination of Brantley, Lecure, Graves and Welsh last year. It might have helped that they're all pitchers and gave pretty good commentary from that angle.

Larkin just dominated the conversation too much. I'm confident he'll settle into a groove. The entire booth is pretty unfamiliar with each other.

Sadak is good. He had a few weaker moments but compared to Thom I'll take it.

27. Likes:

RedsRocker (04-30-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021)

Turn Off Ads?