Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: John Sadak, Barrly Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

I said the same thing in the game thread, but Larkin can talk up old school baseball strategy stuff all he wants, as long as he’s not a sanctimonious, whiny blowhard about it the way Thom was. I feel pretty confident he’ll settle in and be perfectly fine.

I agree with whoever said Sadak kind of has a game show host vibe going on, or someone in the game thread said he sounds like a baseball video game commentator. I think he’ll be fine as well as long as he turns down some of the hamming it up, he was trying to sell the excitement of a few moments where it wasn’t warranted. A little too over the top today, but otherwise he’s fine.

I was surprised how much it seemed like Welsh would disappear for long periods of time today.

2. Likes:

westofyou (04-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The real stuff I had issues with broadcast wise today were all the Bally Sports stuff. The new on screen graphics and score display are TERRIBLE, and the Bally Sports theme song is laughably generic, the old Fox Sports one is so much more memorable in comparison.

5. Likes:

Joeyjection19 (04-02-2021),Old school 1983 (04-02-2021),Ron Madden (04-02-2021),Tom Servo (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    Talked a little much, but did a great job in my opinion. Thoughts? Sorry about the major misspelling. Moderator, Correct or deleted thread. I am over here creating work.
    Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I didn't think it was too bad with any combination of Brantley, Lecure, Graves and Welsh last year. It might have helped that they're all pitchers and gave pretty good commentary from that angle.

Larkin just dominated the conversation too much. I'm confident he'll settle into a groove. The entire booth is pretty unfamiliar with each other.

Sadak is good. He had a few weaker moments but compared to Thom I'll take it.
    I agree I agree I think they will eventually melt together as one operation. I for one think the experience advice will go away with wins from Larkin. I don't think he can help it if the are losing. This is to hope they win some ball games! Hopefully they get it together before May for the Marathon or they may just well be out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The real stuff I had issues with broadcast wise today were all the Bally Sports stuff. The new on screen graphics and score display are TERRIBLE, and the Bally Sports theme song is laughably generic, the old Fox Sports one is so much more memorable in comparison.
    Yeh. Bally sports is like watching some crappy training video from the 80s. Poor graphics and theme. Cringe-y

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-02-2021)

I think we are about to go through some growing pains. Hopefully it will be all sorted out by May.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Had to turn it off after the 2nd inning to get back to work. So I can’t speak for what happened in most of the game. Awkward moment when Sedak asked a question about how the cold air may be affecting Castillo, I expected Welsh to chime in (being a former pitcher), but instead Barry chimed in, saying something non-substantive.

When the umpires were reviewing the Goldschmidt homer/double, the announcers kind of ignored it to talk about something else. I would have liked to know wth was going on and maybe get their opinion on it.

I agree with whoever above said that Sedak reminds them of Dan Schulman. And that’s a very good thing.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-02-2021),wally post (04-02-2021)

Sadak is promising but too excited about fairly routine or unimportant plays/events. Save it for the key plays.

Barry and Chris compliment each other but there was too much Larkin and not enough Welsh. I wanted to hear more from Chris in the mix. Caveat, I didn’t listen much later in game, went to video only.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-02-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Sadak is refreshing but was amped up. At his worst - he will be a Chris Berman type.

Welch seemed tired. 29 years in the booth is a long time creeper. You're class act - but I'd hang 'em up.

Larkin is trying too hard. Let the stories come in the moment - not preplanned.

A 3 person booth is too much. It made Jim Day rather non-existent - probably made some folks happy, but I 'd rather have Day along more often than not.

I would n't be surprised that they settle in as the season progresses. Since Sadak has the gig - I would pair him with Danny Graves down the road. I think the would work quite well.

Charlie Walter is Cincinnati guy. I would have never guessed that. He's a bit robotic (I like Hoard or Giesenschlag with LeCure much better)

The video graphic advertising on the mound was too much and the audio feed was problematic.

That Bally's "B" was EVERYWHERE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

So who’s going to tell Barry to slow it down and that you’re not going to manage in MLB anytime soon advocating bunting every inning.

15. Likes:

sjjones (04-04-2021)

I thought they did well. Sure Sadak was a little too gung ho, but hey it's his first game and he certainly couldn't come off as not enthusiastic enough. I think it's going to work well.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Sadak was very good. Easy delivery but you could tell he was excited.
    Barry talked a lot, but he will learn. Chris was MIA much of the broadcast. I like all three and think it will get better quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadak is a breath of fresh air. Its pretty good to listen to a broadcaster that isn't so contentious. He'll get better as we move along too.

I thought Larkin was doing home games and Welsh road for some reason? If it is a three man booth those normally don't work too well. One analyst will almost always dominate the air time while the other sits quietly by.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

westofyou (04-02-2021)

Haunted by walks

They might actually have something if Larkin and Welsh embrace the Old School New School theme and each one makes their best case. Fans could learn a lot.

21. Likes:

757690 (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    They might actually have something if Larkin and Welsh embrace the Old School New School theme and each one makes their best case. Fans could learn a lot.
    Sounds like a season long headache to me, but to each his own.

Old players are going to talk about old player stuff.. including the game in their day. Pretty rote if you listen to other broadcasts, last night I heard Darin Sutton mention his father and aging at least five times on the Angels broadcast. They are going to talk about what they know.

But three in the booth is one too many IMO, but if they are going to do it then Larkin will need to talk a little less, but then again Sadak will need to lead him less into his thoughts (which was a good portion of what brought Larkin's opinion into the conversation)

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-02-2021),GAC (04-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?