Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Re: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    He spent three minutes bemoaning a Reds shift. The shift worked perfectly, and they turned a double play. I thought that was really funny. It was like the analytics literally proved him wrong.
    I didn't know that was Barry. Didn't recognize the voice, but was watching the game (MLBTV) and listening to him bemoan all the bad things that could happen as the Reds were utilizing the shift, as if it's not a wise thing to do in this situation .... and the batter hits into a perfect GIDP (lol)

I liked Sadak, but as some have mentioned, he gets too excited over routine plays. He's like Sean Casey on Red Bull LMAO
    Last edited by GAC; 04-05-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

goreds2 (04-05-2021),REDREAD (04-12-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, I love that Sadak has a grip on pop culture and adds little nuggets for astute viewers, but his announcer voice for rather routine plays is a little annoying so far. I think he'll find the sweet spot yet.

I have a feeling that Barry Larkin has no idea who Ricky Bobby is, and Lark is out of touch. I think a booth of just Sadak and Welsh could be really good. And yeah, Larkin seems like an old guy living in the past. Maybe I misinterpreted what he was saying, but it sure seemed like he was equating the Reds having a big inning to Antone's bunt.

I was only was able to catch parts of Game 2 and 3... Sadak is settling in nicely and kudos for Larkin for toning it down. Glad the 3 man booth is an opening day only thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

6. Likes:

goreds2 (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Legislation by polling- I might like that. Lets see- 60 % of Americans favor stronger gun control laws. 69% want Medicare for all, 62% are pro-choice and want to keep Roe v Wade. Et cetera et cetera.
    Politics aside, my point is that MLB is going to tick off a significant part of their fanbase here

8. Likes:

goreds2 (04-05-2021)

The thing I like about all of the current guys (Welsh, Brantley, Larkin, Sadak, Day, ect) is they all really love the game and seem to see still being a small part of it as a real privilege.

They are all big Reds fans as well, though Sadak is an "import" of course.

10. Likes:

757690 (04-05-2021),REDREAD (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    The thing I like about all of the current guys (Welsh, Brantley, Larkin, Sadak, Day, ect) is they all really love the game and seem to see still being a small part of it as a real privilege.

They are all big Reds fans as well, though Sadak is an "import" of course.
    Franchester was too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Numerous lawsuits have been filed in opposition to the law. https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/30/...new-voting-law

I admit that I might have missed some of what Barry said. What I remember him emphasizing was the fact that Rob Manfred used the word "I" rather than "the owners" or "We" with respect to the decision to move the all-star game and draft out of Georgia. The reason I remember that is because I thought Barry was wrong. But I looked it up, and he was right. Manfred said "I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year's All-Star Game and MLB draft."

Whether you favor the decision or not, I thought that was an interesting observation. I've since read the Athletic (Evan Drelich) article about this [April 2, subscription required]. Indeed, Manfred did not poll all of the owners about this. He consulted an 8-owner executive committee, the players' association, corporate sponsors, etc. I don't know how personally troubled Manfred is by the voting law. But apparently, he thought that harm to his sport was so inevitable if they kept the game in Georgia, that he went out on a limb and acted swiftly and semi-unilaterally. According to Drelich's article, a major concern was his belief that key players were going to boycott unless they moved the game. Personally, I also think he saw this as low-lying fruit for something that he and the players could go in on together right before the CBA was going to expire, given that commissioner/union are diametrically opposed on so many other issues.
    I think its legality should be left to the courts. I mean, it's harder to vote in New York than Georgia! Crazy.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

13. Likes:

goreds2 (04-05-2021)

They call me "chef"

Larkin had a few options for how to address the All Star game being relocated without making it political:

1) Don't mention it at all.
    2) Mention it but don't mention the Georgia voting laws.
    3) Mention it and say he agrees with the Georgia voting laws.
    4) Mention it and say he agrees with the Georgia voting laws and that Democrats are only upset because they know they can only win by cheating.

Instead of choosing any of the above viable non-political statements, he chose to make it political. I don't watch baseball to hear politics.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-05-2021),dabvu2498 (04-05-2021),goreds2 (04-05-2021),Tom Servo (04-05-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-05-2021),WrongVerb (04-05-2021)

I thought Larkin was great. I much prefer the insights of a Hall of Famer over the self loving analytics elites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-05-2021),Sea Ray (04-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RollyInRaleigh View Post
    I thought Larkin was great. I much prefer the insights of a Hall of Famer over the self loving analytics elites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are there that type?

I hear a smattering about exit velocity lately but who might be in that category?

Larkin isn't perfect and I wager he'll improve. It's cool having a Reds legend and MLB HoF'er sharing his perspective.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-06-2021),REDREAD (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    The Red Sparrow works. I dig it for India.

Larkin is not great. He spent three minutes bemoaning a Reds shift. The shift worked perfectly, and they turned a double play. I thought that was really funny. It was like the analytics literally proved him wrong.
    It's like that one time DeJong hit the ball on the right side of the field where no one was standing anywhere close to 30 ft. from it.

New network, same problem. BS Ohio continues the Cincinnati tradition of fading to commercial while the announcer is in the middle of a sentence. Are the guys who run these broadcasts unaware that this happens every single game multiple times per game? I know their production values are some of the lowest in professional sports but are there any other clubs that have this happen during their TV broadcasts?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Larkin isn't perfect and I wager he'll improve. It's cool having a Reds legend and MLB HoF'er sharing his perspective.

He's offering good insight, just feeling his way through timing and stuff like that. Trying a bit too hard at times. Natural for a newcomer.

Sadak is fantastic. I look forward to hearing them more as time goes by.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

24. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (04-06-2021)

Without Welsh on the broadcasts, there is no longer anyone with rules expertise on the home broadcasts. Early in tonight's broadcast when the Pittsburgh batter/runner was hit by a throw tonight and ultimately called out, both broadcasters were noticeably quiet and did not directly address what the umpires called. Welsh would have been all over it.

26. Likes:

919191 (04-07-2021),Bob Sheed (04-07-2021),Rantly (04-06-2021)

Turn Off Ads?