Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Re: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Dang, tough crowd here. I've found Sadak and the rest of the broadcast team refreshing and fun to listen to. Yes, Sadak gets over the top with his announcer voice sometimes and no, I dont agree with everything Larkin says. But I enjoy Sadak's energy and turns of phrases and I enjoy the new insights and stories from Barry. It's also their second week on the job, they'll only improve together.
    On Larkin, to be specific, I found his analysis of the missed grounder in the 9th by Naylor to be extremely insightful. Never heard something like that from any analyst. He showed how Naylor’s glove side foot was back which pulled his glove back so he wasn’t fielding the ball out in front.

I’m really enjoying Larkin for things like that. And I enjoy Sadak’s enthusiasm. I don’t care if he gets excited on a balk or a second consecutive pitch in the dirt and a 2-1 count. Makes me pay attention more during boring moments in the game.

2. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-18-2021),RedsfaninMT (04-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think Brantley is much better on television, and I can't figure out why he works better in that medium. (I also think Welsh is very good as a hybrid color/ play-by-play guy-- which is really hard to do.)

Anyone got an answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Dang, tough crowd here. I've found Sadak and the rest of the broadcast team refreshing and fun to listen to. Yes, Sadak gets over the top with his announcer voice sometimes and no, I dont agree with everything Larkin says. But I enjoy Sadak's energy and turns of phrases and I enjoy the new insights and stories from Barry. It's also their second week on the job, they'll only improve together.
    Me too. Marty was great and deserves to be remembered that way, but he seemed burnt out with baseball, especially since Joe passed away and Thom was just a whiney twit. The new blood on TV and Radio has removed the "fingernails on the blackboard" undercurrent of the broadcasts and I find them quite enjoyable. Nothing's ever perfect. Get a grip people.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-18-2021),Joeyjection19 (04-20-2021),Ron Madden (04-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think Brantley is much better on television, and I can't figure out why he works better in that medium. (I also think Welsh is very good as a hybrid color/ play-by-play guy-- which is really hard to do.)

Anyone got an answer?
    Because on TV you're watching a replay and he breaks it down intelligently and insightfully. On Radio you're just listening to his voice, which is frankly, his weak point. The stuff he says is usually good, but his voice is annoying at times. I've gotten used to it and I like him OK either way, but he shouldn't be doing play by play like he does for 2 or 3 innings on radio.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

JFLegal (04-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I haven't listened to radio broadcasts much this year. How are they dividing up the PBP? Still Brantley during 3/4/7 like in the Marty era?

I love Welsh on TV, but never thought he quite cut it on radio. Brantley is the opposite, although Brantley paired with Sadak has so far been quite good.
    brantley is the opposite? no, no, no. brantley is best on TV as a color analyst. he just doesn't like wearing suits and ties so that's why he prefers radio (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Anyone got an answer?
    see above. mth123 laid out very well why cowboy is so good on TV. and i explained my educated guess on why cowboy prefers radio, even though it's not his strong suit (no pun intended).
    Last edited by JFLegal; 04-18-2021 at 09:43 AM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    On Larkin, to be specific, I found his analysis of the missed grounder in the 9th by Naylor to be extremely insightful. Never heard something like that from any analyst. He showed how Naylor’s glove side foot was back which pulled his glove back so he wasn’t fielding the ball out in front.

I’m really enjoying Larkin for things like that. And I enjoy Sadak’s enthusiasm. I don’t care if he gets excited on a balk or a second consecutive pitch in the dirt and a 2-1 count. Makes me pay attention more during boring moments in the game.
    I have criticized Larkin for some things (including in yesterday's game). But, I agree that comment on defense was very insightful. He had another insightful moment a little bit later, but I can't remember offhand what it was. And I liked that he was emphasizing properly wearing protective gear after the umpire's mask was damaged.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

We have had welsh and thom do post game interviews in the past like Jim Day does. I would like to see Larkin do a few. Former big leaguer interviewing current big leaguers. I think that would be pretty cool.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Previously, I would watch games the sound muted, so this is a significant upgrade IMO. I am fine with the current teams as is, and I suspect they will get better over time.

14. Likes:

Joeyjection19 (04-20-2021),Ron Madden (04-18-2021)

I'm loving Barry Larking thus far. Just awesome and knows the game in and out

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I know people have goofed on Larkin for bringing up some of the old school baseball stuff, myself included yesterday when he mentioned Castellanos supposedly trying to sacrifice himself by grounding out to the right side.

But I really enjoy him as a broadcaster. He’s an actual fan of baseball and the Reds still, he’s not a curmudgeon when bringing up the old school strategy stuff. He’s getting a good feel for calling a game and has a good voice for broadcasting IMO. I like his 80s/90s Reds anecdotes. I can’t complain about Barry personally.

17. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (04-26-2021)

I have become a huge fan of Sadak. My favorite pbp guy since Marty. I know Larkin doesn't always get his pop culture references but I do and they are hilarious.
    His constant enthusiasm is awesome. There is a vibration of positivity with this team, from the coaches, players and broadcasters.

I hope Thom never shows up for a Reds game again. That dude was annoying after 2 seasons, why he was there for 13-14 yrs is a mystery. Guys voice and fake laugh was nauseating.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Watching a Yankees game and Michael Kay was clearly fooled by an Aaron Judge swing that didn’t even reach the warning track. It’s not just John Sadak.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-20-2021)

I don’t know if it’s just me but Sadat is starting to be really annoying...I thought I liked him at first but I can hardly listen to him now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It almost seems as if Welsh and Larkin have been a bit annoyed as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?