Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Re: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

I’m not a huge Jim Day proponent but I’d much rather listen to him than Sadak...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sadak seems to have cut down on his pop culture references lately. Or maybe he just ran out of them.

"Have I made a reference to Kate & Allie? Does anyone remember Kate & Allie...?"

4. Likes:

KronoRed (04-25-2021),westofyou (04-25-2021)

Sandak is a new guy so he needs to find his stride. He needs to find his voice. If he gets on my nerves, I turn down the sound down.

I like Welsh and Jim Day. Barry has his good moments but lapses into color-by-numbers jargon with little interesting insight. Cowboy is good. Brian Giesenslag looks and acts too much of a hockey announcer. I like Charlie Walter (I think that’s his name) and Sam LeCure on the postgame.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-26-2021)

I like Sadak. I think he'll only get better as time goes by.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (04-25-2021),mth123 (04-26-2021),SirFelixCat (04-26-2021)

John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Sadak has adjusted and is nicely improved. I like him.

I like the telecasts but don’t like the on field product.

Heard Welsh doing play by play on 700 WLW for his inning and that was weird to listen to.

10. Likes:

Reds (04-28-2021)

Haunted by walks

I’m beginning to like John Sadak’s pumped up call of plays, even when it turns out to be a pop up or warning track fly. For some announcers, baseball is a slog, but he turns it into a game where something’s always happening, maybe big, maybe small, and we’ll find out.

Every time Sadak starts his spiel, I just repeat, Thom,Thom,Thom and then I feel better(Although "Big Fly" is killing me)

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    Every time Sadak starts his spiel, I just repeat, Thom,Thom,Thom and then I feel better(Although "Big Fly" is killing me)
    Yep, Sadak is better than Thom a hundred times. But I'm not sure I'm liking Sadak very much either. He's way too hyper for me. Every play isn't the best play of the year or even that night. Also you don't have fill every second with conversation. Let the ballpark sounds through for a little. I hope he calms down and grows into the position. It's early and I think adjustments are coming from these new announcers.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

919191 (04-27-2021),goreds2 (04-26-2021),RollyInRaleigh (04-27-2021),Roy Tucker (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yep, Sadak is better than Thom a hundred times. But I'm not sure I'm liking Sadak very much either. He's way too hyper for me. Every play isn't the best play of the year or even that night. Also you don't have fill every second with conversation. Let the ballpark sounds through for a little. I hope he calms down and grows into the position. It's early and I think adjustments are coming from these new announcers.
    Agree. He already seems to have calmed down somewhat. He was at a 10 on the excited scale the first week, and maybe an 8 now.

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-27-2021),goreds2 (04-26-2021)

Seems the consensus is everyone likes Sadak more than Brenneman; Larkin isn't the answer for color, Welsh will be missed for his insight and knowledge, and we would enjoy Jim Day more if he actually showed up at a ballpark and interacted with fans. Welsh is more than a ex-jock, he's a Cincinnati landmark and St. X legend. If he's really easing back, it's a loss for all of us viewers. My suggestion for a color man if they decide not to bore us to death is Tracy Jones, even though he would piss off management from time to time.

Re: John Sadak, Barrly Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by khunter2 View Post
    Agreed except I did split 50/50 with tv and then radio. Just couldn't stand all the chatter from the 3-man booth and Sadak's overexcitement and accents.
    i've tried the radio with both Reds,Bengals and Sunday night broadcasts, but the time synchronization is always off. I often think they do it on purpose to keep you on the TV broadcast.

Too early to tell, but nobody grates me at all.

Yet.

But I will listen to other feeds if I like the other teams crew, Giants, Dodgers radio, Bob Ueker, Mets TV, always good to get opposing crews stories and opinions of the Reds. Being able to listen to other feeds is a good break from the style of the home team.

20. Likes:

Cursh14 (04-28-2021),Ron Madden (04-26-2021)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know people have goofed on Larkin for bringing up some of the old school baseball stuff, myself included yesterday when he mentioned Castellanos supposedly trying to sacrifice himself by grounding out to the right side.

But I really enjoy him as a broadcaster. He’s an actual fan of baseball and the Reds still, he’s not a curmudgeon when bringing up the old school strategy stuff. He’s getting a good feel for calling a game and has a good voice for broadcasting IMO. I like his 80s/90s Reds anecdotes. I can’t complain about Barry personally.
    His pacing has improved a lot since Opening Day. He's doing a nice job.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

22. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Watching a Yankees game and Michael Kay was clearly fooled by an Aaron Judge swing that didn’t even reach the warning track. It’s not just John Sadak.
    Not being in the ballpark for away games would be difficult to announce. You have no feel of the game and you are depending on camera angles to see what is going on.

I think
    Once they allow the announcers to travel you will hear a difference.

Jim Day is horrible and shouldn’t be allowed to talk period. Welsh as a play by play guy on the radio is painful.

He even said he really has no experience in it. So why put him behind the mic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotater Cuff View Post
    Seems the consensus is everyone likes Sadak more than Brenneman; Larkin isn't the answer for color, Welsh will be missed for his insight and knowledge, and we would enjoy Jim Day more if he actually showed up at a ballpark and interacted with fans. Welsh is more than a ex-jock, he's a Cincinnati landmark and St. X legend. If he's really easing back, it's a loss for all of us viewers. My suggestion for a color man if they decide not to bore us to death is Tracy Jones, even though he would piss off management from time to time.
    No, Larkin is good actually and I’d gnaw my own hand off if they replaced him with Tracy Jones

25. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (04-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?