Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Re: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Also you don't have fill every second with conversation. Let the ballpark sounds through for a little.
    Yeah, that's my biggest issue with him. I know he gets paid to talk, but every now and then, I wish he'd shut up for just a little bit. He's constantly trying to engage Larkin or Welsh about something and it sometimes feels forced. I think he has a fine personality overall for broadcasting. But like you said, he needs to learn that it's ok to sit back at times and let the game itself do the talking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Yeah, that's my biggest issue with him. I know he gets paid to talk, but every now and then, I wish he'd shut up for just a little bit. He's constantly trying to engage Larkin or Welsh about something and it sometimes feels forced. I think he has a fine personality overall for broadcasting. But like you said, he needs to learn that it's ok to sit back at times and let the game itself do the talking.
    Yes, the greatest failing so far is this, I wonder though calling games from the home field when your team is on the road will create more empty sound when you try and allow space into the broadcast. No fans to fill the space makes it hard, little fans in surrounding seats at home games as well. Hopefully that will change over time, space to breath is needed and I'm betting that Sadak will be a pro and study his tapes and adjust

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-28-2021)

I don't mind Sadak getting excited at all.
    I've heard too many guys calling games the past few years that sounded like they would rather be anywhere in the world other than a baseball game.

6. Likes:

Flyer Guy (04-28-2021),goreds2 (04-29-2021),Hamilton95 (04-28-2021),marcshoe (04-28-2021),mth123 (04-28-2021),Tom Servo (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotater Cuff View Post
    Welsh is more than a ex-jock, he's a Cincinnati landmark and St. X legend. If he's really easing back, it's a loss for all of us viewers.
    As I mentioned upthread, Welsh isn't easing back. He's going to be working just as many games as he has in previous seasons, about 135.

Brantley is contracted to work 25 games on TV. Welsh will work the other 55 road games on TV. (One road game is slated for FOX)

Welsh will work on radio when Brantley is on TV and when Brantley is on vacation.

Welsh will also sit at the TV pre-game show & TV post-game show desk for select home games taking the seat of Sam LeCure, which we saw during the first homestand. I'm guessing this will be for about 30 of the 81 home games.

This will give Welsh about 25 games off to equal the number Brantley has off.

He will work just as many games as he did last year, he just won't be in the TV booth for nearly as many.

Here is a summary of where I predict Welsh will be working this season:
    TV (all road): 55 games
    Radio (half home, half road): 50 games
    Pre/post-game desk (all home): 30 games
    Vacation (all home): 25 games

8. Likes:

goreds2 (04-29-2021)

He needs to tone it down a notch or two on the cultural references and excited level and as others have pointed out be quiet sometimes; let the pictures or audio do the talking periodically...

I started muting the sound on the Reds game. I am so tired of Cowboy analyzing the players. Just talk about the game not how the pitcher is holding the ball.

Man, I just completely disagree about Brantley. I think he’s excellent and love his insight.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-17-2021),919191 (05-21-2021),Bob Sheed (05-16-2021),Boss-Hog (05-16-2021),CaiGuy (05-16-2021),Flyer Guy (05-20-2021),JFLegal (05-16-2021),jimbo (05-16-2021),onehand (05-16-2021),RedCanuck (05-16-2021),Roy Tucker (05-20-2021),traderumor (05-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    I started muting the sound on the Reds game. I am so tired of Cowboy analyzing the players. Just talk about the game not how the pitcher is holding the ball.
    I like that kind of insight. Same when Larking talks about hitting.

They have hours to fill every day, if they just stick to calling the game, you're missing an opportunity to teach the audience something they might not have known about the game.

I like Brantley as a color guy. Larkin, too. Welsh can be fantastic at times...Sadak is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me...he is way over the top...just shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes:

RedCanuck (05-16-2021),traderumor (05-16-2021)

I think it's a great team of interchangeable parts, where each guy brings something unique.

I even enjoyed Welsh as PBP on the radio last night.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Man, I just completely disagree about Brantley. I think he’s excellent and love his insight.
    brantley is the reds' best TV color broadcaster by far. as i've said before, i just think he doesn't like wearing a sportscoat, which is why he prefers radio. lol.

18. Likes:

RedCanuck (05-16-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-16-2021)

Haunted by walks

We all have our preferences, but I like Sadak’s excitement over each thing that happens a lot more than the announcers who act like the game is a slog and they wish it were over. The Reds seem to have cobbled together one of the best broadcast teams in baseball. Good for us.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    We all have our preferences, but I like Sadak’s excitement over each thing that happens a lot more than the announcers who act like the game is a slog and they wish it were over. The Reds seem to have cobbled together one of the best broadcast teams in baseball. Good for us.
    Agreed. I understand that everyone has different likes and dislikes, but if people listen to other teams' announcers, you'll quickly see how many bad, boring broadcasters there are out there.

yes, i like sadak overall very much. when you are talking to an audience for 3 hours, you are going to be annoying at times. when he does annoy me, i always think to myself "he's not thom or george grande" and i'm suddenly not annoyed at all. i recommend everyone trying it.

and if you were a fan of george grande, just use thom in my example. sadak annoys you for a second? remind yourself, "hey, at least it's not thom." problem solved.

because sadak is not going to be perfect, but he's very good and is the best TV PBP announcer we've had in 29 years (which is when having every game on TV --or almost every game -- first became a thing).

I like Sadak

I also like silence in between sentences

I hope to experience both sensations sooner than later

24. Likes:

919191 (05-21-2021),JFLegal (05-21-2021),Roy Tucker (05-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?