Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-4-21 Reds vs Cardinals 1:10pm

Re: 4-4-21 Reds vs Cardinals 1:10pm

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The article got this part right, the first one I have seen that did:

Woo covers the Cardinals, so I expected the pro-Cardinal slant.
    Yeah the article is slanted. But the holier-than-thou quotes are what drives me crazy.

2. Likes:

757690 (04-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe Hoffman's job today is to throw one carefully placed pitch to the testes before letting Miley go? Wishful thinking I know.

5. Likes:

DocRed (04-04-2021)

I hate Baseball brawls. Act like adults and play ball.

Nobody should have been ejected from either team, but I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing after scoring a run or anything Molina did.

I blame the benches for running out there. That is what escalated the whole thing. I think Castellanos was ready to go to first and run the bases until that happened. Molina walking with him to make sure he doesn't charge the mound is OK Too. None of that requires the benches to clear. Those are the guys who should be fined or suspended.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hate Baseball brawls. Act like adults and play ball.

Nobody should have been ejected from either team, but I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing after scoring a run or anything Molina did.

I blame the benches for running out there. That is what escalated the whole thing. I think Castellanos was ready to go to first and run the bases until that happened. Molina walking with him to make sure he doesn't charge the mound is OK Too. None of that requires the benches to clear. Those are the guys who should be fined or suspended.
    I assume you saw the brawl and I’m interpreting things wrong, but that last paragraph reads like the incident and bench clearing occurred on the HBP.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I assume you saw the brawl and I’m interpreting things wrong, but that last paragraph reads like the incident and bench clearing occurred on the HBP.
    You're right. It does read that way. The brawl was after he scored. I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing and would rather he not, but it was no reason for the benches to empty. Nobody was physically engaged at that point. That pitcher wasn't going to do anything, Cast probably would have walked off to the dugout and it would have been over. I actually think the posing was the catalyst to this brawl and I'm not in favor of it, but I don't think anything would have happened if the benches stayed put.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You're right. It does read that way. The brawl was after he scored. I'm not impressed by Castellanos posing and would rather he not, but it was no reason for the benches to empty. Nobody was physically engaged at that point. That pitcher wasn't going to do anything, Cast probably would have walked off to the dugout and it would have been over. I actually think the posing was the catalyst to this brawl and I'm not in favor of it, but I don't think anything would have happened if the benches stayed put.
    I would rather the players not pose as well. But didn't the pitcher have his knee on Castellanos' back trying to make the play? I took this as the reason for the flex. I am not saying it is right, but it is hard to expect anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I would rather the players not pose as well. But didn't the pitcher have his knee on Castellanos' back trying to make the play? I took this as the reason for the flex. I am not saying it is right, but it is hard to expect anything else.
    Maybe, but the benches clearing was completely unnecessary. If anyone should be fined or suspended, I'd probably ding the Managers for not keeping their teams under control.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’ll add this here rather than yesterday’s thread for the exposure. But after seeing Castellanos’ “Candyman” on Opening Day I definitely think the HBP was intentional. Language warning of course.

The part I don't think is getting enough attention is Woodford 100% Ray Kinged Castellanos at the plate. Do the Cardinals teach pitchers to make sure they land on top of the guy if they get beat at the plate?

After taking a pitch to the ribs and having that same pitcher jam two knees into his back, Nick deserves sainthood for just giving the guy a pose down. A cleat to the face would have been a proportionate response.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

757690 (04-04-2021),JarrodOnVinyl (04-04-2021),kaldaniels (04-04-2021),Old school 1983 (04-04-2021),Redsland (04-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The part I don't think is getting enough attention is Woodford 100% Ray Kinged Castellanos at the plate. Do the Cardinals teach pitchers to make sure they land on top of the guy if they get beat at the plate?

After taking a pitch to the ribs and having that same pitcher jam two knees into his back, Nick deserves sainthood for just giving the guy a pose down. A cleat to the face would have been a proportionate response.
    I'm more of the mind that a line drive off or over the wall the next time up is the appropriate response. He was already up and nobody was kneeling on his ribs by the time he posed. It was over. Just go back to the dugout and beat him on the field in the next PA.

I'm more of the mind that a line drive off or over the wall the next time up is the appropriate response. He was already up and nobody was kneeling on his ribs by the time he posed. It was over. Just go back to the dugout and beat him on the field in the next PA.
    I'm not down with that level of boring.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

757690 (04-04-2021),TheBigLebowski (04-04-2021)

I'm more of the mind that a line drive off or over the wall the next time up is the appropriate response.
    (Stealing from M2)

Attachment 17108
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (04-04-2021),M2 (04-04-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (04-04-2021),TheBigLebowski (04-04-2021)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I will die on this hill. You can cause real damage to a career with a fastball in the ribs. You can deter the intentional plunking with an actual mound charge. Throw hands and its over. See you in 2 weeks. Let pitchers know you can get Odor'd, and the intentionial buffoonery will stop.

Better still, eject the pitcher immediately and mandatory 10 game suspensions. The unwritten rules are trash. Celebrate, yell, bat flip, whatever, don't throw at the batter the next time he is at the plate with the bases empty and 2 outs.

19. Likes:

M2 (04-04-2021),Ron Madden (04-04-2021)

If they want to pose, bat flip, or take a bow, I don't care. It's fine, but if it's fine, then the benches don't need to clear over it. Nobody needs to get thrown at or thrown out and no brawls need to ensue. Let players do the WWE routine after every play, but stop the brawls and play ball.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-04-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I will die on this hill. You can cause real damage to a career with a fastball in the ribs. You can deter the intentional plunking with an actual mound charge. Throw hands and its over. See you in 2 weeks. Let pitchers know you can get Odor'd, and the intentionial buffoonery will stop.

Better still, eject the pitcher immediately and mandatory 10 game suspensions. The unwritten rules are trash. Celebrate, yell, bat flip, whatever, don't throw at the batter the next time he is at the plate with the bases empty and 2 outs.
    I can buy the second paragraph, but I think the mound charge just escalates things and leads to more guys getting plunked.

I love Castellanos' intensity during the game, and especially his comments after the game. "I've lost my whole career, and I ain't tryiin' to start this season 0 and 2".

I don't think his celebration was over the top in relation to what ensued right before it (the hbp and then play at home).

Turn Off Ads?