Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Castellanos Suspended

Re: Castellanos Suspended

I’m actually surprised MLB didn’t award the Cardinals with the Reds first round pick in the next draft over this.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

bm1475 (04-05-2021),bounty37h (04-05-2021),Chip R (04-05-2021),Griffey012 (04-05-2021),podgejeff_ (04-05-2021),REDREAD (04-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Unbelievable. He should've broken some jaws on the field.

Let's say the Dodgers are playing the Padres. Tatis, Jr. hits a HR and flips his bat per usual. One of the Dodgers gets in Tatis' face and benches clear. Using MLB's logic, Tatis gets ejected and suspended two games. The Padres lose one of their best players for the game and two more games. Nothing happens to the Dodgers. Can you see how this could escalate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

757690 (04-05-2021),Always Red (04-05-2021),M2 (04-05-2021),membengal (04-05-2021),ochoa30 (04-05-2021),RiverRat13 (04-05-2021),Ron Madden (04-05-2021),Roy Tucker (04-05-2021),wally post (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Hopefully this motivates the Reds to continue shoving their emotions into opponents faces. I want bat flips that make the Korean league blush, I want taunting of pitchers as they round the bases, I want fist pumping with flourishes after every strike out.
    Makes me miss Vontaze Burfict when he played for the Bengals.

The Steelers are like the Cardinals. The Cardinals have the “Cardinal Way”, the Steelers were “blue collar lunch pail grind it out Yinzer football”

When the Reds and Bengals take that approach, they’re “dirty”.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

8. Likes:

Always Red (04-05-2021),bm1475 (04-05-2021),Tony Cloninger (04-05-2021)

So hurting another player's feelings is a punishable offense now? What in the world?

Reynolds on Nick Castellanos' ejection: "After sliding into home, he re-engaged the pitcher in unnecessary fashion and that’s why he was ejected."
    I know this is an unpopular opinon, but this is true.
    Nick was the onet hat escalated the conflict.
    I'm glad he did it, but he deserves the ejection and suspension.
    And yea, if a Cardinal did that to a Reds pitcher in the same play, we'd all be agreeing that the Cardinal deserved a suspension too.
    Looks like the league took a good look at the replay. Nice that Hicks got suspended too. I noticed Winker trying to escalate too.
    I didn't notice Suarez doing anything, but maybe he did.

To me, the only question is, should Molina have been suspended too? He probably should have gotten 1-2 games, if it was up to me. That's a valid complain.. But IMO, all the other punishments seem fair.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    And yea, if a Cardinal did that to a Reds pitcher in the same play, we'd all be agreeing that the Cardinal deserved a suspension too.
    Looks like the league took a good look at the replay. Nice that Hicks got suspended too. I noticed Winker trying to escalate too.

To me, the only question is, should Molina have been suspended too? He probably should have gotten 1-2 games, if it was up to me. That's a valid complain.. But IMO, all the other punishments seem fair.
    If you watch the play, you will see that Cast walked away from home plate immediately after the flex, and everyone else remained calm. Then Molina rushes after Cast, pushes the ump out of the way, and grabs Cast.

That is when the benches cleared. It was Molina rushing Cast that instigated the fight. Had he stayed put, nothing would have happened.

Cast did not instigate the conflict. Molina instigated the conflict.

Read Chip’s post above. He reveals how illogical this all is.

12. Likes:

Always Red (04-05-2021),bounty37h (04-05-2021),Chip R (04-06-2021),M2 (04-05-2021),MR X (04-05-2021),Patrick Bateman (04-05-2021),Ron Madden (04-05-2021)

Hicks did not get suspended, Winker was not escalating things he was trying to keep some Cardinals away from Castellanos.
    I'm not surprised you're going against the Reds here though

14. Likes:

Mitri (04-05-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Hicks left the bullpen to come onto the field after it was already over! That’s one of the most ridiculous things about this, lmao

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-05-2021),Ron Madden (04-05-2021)

This is absolutely not true. Cardinals I know don't even think Castellanos deserved a suspension.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

Chip R (04-06-2021),ochoa30 (04-05-2021),Ron Madden (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is absolutely not true. Cardinals I know don't even think Castellanos deserved a suspension.
    This is accurate for me as well and I grew up in St. Louis, so I know a bunch of them. Now, they refuse to admit the Cards did anything wrong, but they also all agree that this suspension is a joke.

Also, watch the sports news coverage, on TV and online, it’s nearly universal. Everyone is shaking their heads. I haven’t seen anyone argue that this suspension was deserved.

20. Likes:

Chip R (04-06-2021)

I voiced the unpopular opinion that I didn't like what Castellanos did. I also said that no one needed to be ejected or suspended and I think this suspension is crazy. Basically, Castellanos is being suspended because the benches cleared unnecessarily. It's not Nick's fault these guys all ran on the field. You can't suspend them all, so if you want to hold some one accountable for a bench clearing incident, I'd say both Mgrs should be the ones suspended. Even that is stupid though. The Reds should appeal and Nick should keep playing. I can't imagine two games will stand. Shouldn't even be 1 game, but that is where this will probably wind-up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think Cast was rightfully ejected. Even in the NFL, he'd get a 15 yard penalty for flexing over someone kneeling like that. If he would have turned his back to the pitcher, maybe faced the Reds dugout when he did it, he wouldn't have been tossed. I get the whole "enthusiasm" thing, but you can't just slap your penis on someone's neck every time you make a good play.

THAT BEING SAID...

1. The pitcher and Cards manager should have received a warning after Cast was hit.
    2. Molina should have been ejected too, because he pretty much caused the bench-clearing.
    3. There shouldn't have been any fines or suspensions, that's a bunch a b.s.

As usual though, the hammer is heavy for the Reds, what else is new? And i agree. Unfortunately, this is most likely not over between the two teams because of the way MLB handled it. The high road would be for the Reds to just put it behind them. But we know that won't happen. Should be an interesting visit to St. Louis...
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 04-05-2021 at 05:17 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

23. Likes:

MR X (04-05-2021),REDREAD (04-05-2021),RiverRat13 (04-05-2021)

If you suspend Cast for escalating then you have to suspend Molina for also escalating. The on-field fracas doesn't happen if Molina doesn't react and grab Castellanos. And Molina doesn't react if Castellanos doesn't yell in the pitchers face. So either they both escalated the event or neither one did.

Also, they should suspend the pitcher for throwing at a batter on purpose in the first place. 0-0 count, 2 outs, nobody on, down 4 runs with a mop-up arm in the day after they got mad that Castellanos threw his bat and yelled to his own dugout after a HR, it is obvious it was intentional.

Honestly, I think the whole playing with fire and emotion adds excitement the casual baseball observer will embrace so I think the whole punishment thing is lame in the first place. If a dude gets plunked on purpose he should have every right to briefly taunt the pitcher after scoring and go back to the dugout. My opinion aside, just be consistent with your penalties and punishment.

Now if Cast has the reaction without getting plunked, ejection and a fine/suspension may be warranted, agree with Bob Sheed about you can't even do that in the NFL without a 15 yard flag.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 04-05-2021 at 05:19 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

25. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-05-2021),Chip R (04-06-2021),Ron Madden (04-05-2021)

Maybe they’ll knock one game off the suspension. Whole penalty seems questionable, but now that it’s in the books, MLB can make it’s point with a game. Glad Nick is appealing.

The problem with this suspension is that Nick’s own conduct wasn’t that extreme. We see athletes express emotions like that frequently. He’s being penalized because the benches emptied, which Nick could not foresee nor was it within his control.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-05-2021 at 05:35 PM.

27. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-05-2021),Ron Madden (04-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?