Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    This seems less than optimal:

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/st...495199748?s=20

The CDC recommendation to pause Johnson & Johnson vaccine use causes public confidence in the vaccine to sink 15pts

Perceptions before CDC announcement
    Safe - 52%
    Unsafe - 26%

Perceptions after CDC announcement
    Safe - 37% (-15)
    Unsafe - 39% (+13)

https://today.yougov.com/topics/poli...ine_confidence
    I don’t agree with the decision to pause JNJ, but honestly, there was no good option for the FDA and CDC. If they ignored this new info on the blood clots, the anti-vaxxers would going mad over the fact that they are ignoring them and screaming about how dangerous this vaccine is.

I don’t know if public confidence would sink as much without the pause, but the news about these blood clots was going to lower confidence, no matter what the FDA and CDC did.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t agree with the decision to pause JNJ, but honestly, there was no good option for the FDA and CDC. If they ignored this new info on the blood clots, the anti-vaxxers would going mad over the fact that they are ignoring them and screaming about how dangerous this vaccine is.

I don’t know if public confidence would sink as much without the pause, but the news about these blood clots was going to lower confidence, no matter what the FDA and CDC did.
    They could have said they were monitoring it, but since it’s been such a low occurrence so far they aren’t going to stop it and advised doctors to be aware of the potential since it changes the treatment options.

That wouldn’t have led to 28 point swing in public confidence in the vaccine and is likely exactly what they are going to say next week.

4. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-16-2021),Sea Ray (04-15-2021)

Got my second Pfizer yesterday morning. Aside from a very sore shoulder, no other side affects. I was feeling somewhat guilty as neither wife or son are signed up, but my health challenges made me a higher priority. It's been weird here. Signing up was darn near impossible until last Friday.

It was a competition of who had the fastest internet connection. Sillier still, evidently Edge put you at an advantage over Firefox. Chrome I get, but Edge? Anyway, try number six, I finally got in. Suddenly, things changed overnight. My son (17) and wife are both signed up, with my wife having received her first Moderna. I went to the hospital website here in Bozeman and counted 168 openings next Tuesday for a first vaccine and far more than that Wednesday and Thursday. We've clearly hit a critical mass here with anybody who wants a vaccine able to get one with zero competition to do so.

6. Likes:

757690 (04-15-2021),cumberlandreds (04-15-2021),M2 (04-15-2021),redhawkfish (04-15-2021),WildcatFan (04-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    They could have said they were monitoring it, but since it’s been such a low occurrence so far they aren’t going to stop it and advised doctors to be aware of the potential since it changes the treatment options.

That wouldn’t have led to 28 point swing in public confidence in the vaccine and is likely exactly what they are going to say next week.
    I agree they shouldn’t have paused it. However, considering how illogical and reactionary those who are vaccine hesitant are, I’m not sure the reaction would have been all that different if the FDA and CDC did what you suggested. They would have cried that the CDC and FDA aren’t protecting us from these dangerous vaccines.

Like I said, they were in a no-win situation.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    I was feeling somewhat guilty as neither wife or son are signed up, but my health challenges made me a higher priority.
    I had the same somewhat guilty feeling because I was getting mine while my wife wasn't yet eligible. But they just opened up California to everyone over 16, so I made her an appointment for Monday to get the Moderna vaccine. Glad you were able to get your wife and kid signed up finally.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Not good folks. Not good at all

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...J-vaccine.html

This is why we ought not stigmatize people who choose not to get vaccinated. If they don't want to risk a stroke, that's their choice. I respect every American to make his own choice on whether to get vaccinated

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

California hits huge vaccine milestone

California is at its pandemic best.

No counties are left in the state’s most restrictive reopening tier. California has the lowest coronavirus positivity rate in the country. And 49% of eligible residents are at least partially vaccinated — a number sure to have crossed the 50% threshold Thursday, when the state threw open eligibility to everyone 16 and older. “It’s not tax day, it’s vax day,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said at a vaccine clinic in Alameda County.

Despite an initially rocky rollout and prolonged bickering over transitioning to a new vaccine system helmed by Blue Shield, the Golden State managed to make vaccines available to all adults several days ahead of President Joe Biden’s April 19 deadline. But numerous challenges remain: The state’s vaccine supply is set to shrink over the next few weeks, a decline exacerbated by a temporary pause of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Counties and community groups are still struggling to provide doses to hard-to-reach populations, such as homebound Californians. And vaccine hesitancy appears pervasive in some areas, such as Kern County.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-16-2021),Sea Ray (04-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Not good folks. Not good at all

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...J-vaccine.html

This is why we ought not stigmatize people who choose not to get vaccinated. If they don't want to risk a stroke, that's their choice. I respect every American to make his own choice on whether to get vaccinated
    Sure, very scary and unfortunate story and hopefully he can recover.

But a couple things:

1. Correlation is not causation. It is certainly possible that the vaccine causes some rare blood clots. But it’s also certainly possible that they don’t. The reported rate from vaccine recipients is still far far lower than the number of people that get blood clots from any number of sources.

2. The number of people that get blood clots from actual COVID-19 is very high with some reports being around 1 in 30 cases. As I posted yesterday about 1 in 11,000 people that have gotten the vaccine has gotten COVID, while around 1 in 10 Americans have a confirmed case, so the number is probably more like 1 in 7 or 8. Either way the vaccines are incredibly effective.

So I guess it’s fine if you don’t want to stigmatize people for not getting the vaccine, but they should know facts like that and have a real good answer for why they don’t want to get it because the numbers don’t back up that line of thinking.

13. Likes:

dabvu2498 (04-16-2021)

Today in irresponsible headlines: University of Cincinnati Student Dead a Day After Getting J&J Vaccine

https://nypost.com/2021/04/16/colleg...ign=SocialFlow

But a couple things:

1. Correlation is not causation. It is certainly possible that the vaccine causes some rare blood clots. But it’s also certainly possible that they don’t. The reported rate from vaccine recipients is still far far lower than the number of people that get blood clots from any number of sources.

2. The number of people that get blood clots from actual COVID-19 is very high with some reports being around 1 in 30 cases. As I posted yesterday about 1 in 11,000 people that have gotten the vaccine has gotten COVID, while around 1 in 10 Americans have a confirmed case, so the number is probably more like 1 in 7 or 8. Either way the vaccines are incredibly effective.

So I guess it’s fine if you don’t want to stigmatize people for not getting the vaccine, but they should know facts like that and have a real good answer for why they don’t want to get it because the numbers don’t back up that line of thinking.
    It's fine if after being educated on the facts, they say "I choose to risk getting C19 rather than risk the vaccine." That's a personal healthcare choice and it's not for me to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Today in irresponsible headlines: University of Cincinnati Student Dead a Day After Getting J&J Vaccine

https://nypost.com/2021/04/16/colleg...ign=SocialFlow
    That headline does get the point across. That's why it's news

It's fine if after being educated on the facts, they say "I choose to risk getting C19 rather than risk the vaccine." That's a personal healthcare choice and it's not for me to decide.
    And it’s fine for me to say “that makes no sense, I think you’re being dumb and you are also putting other people at risk with your nonsensical decision”.

18. Likes:

757690 (04-16-2021),nmculbreth (04-16-2021)

That headline does get the point across. That's why it's news
    University of Cincinnati Student Dead a Day After Breathing Oxygen would be just as relevant.

20. Likes:

757690 (04-16-2021),BuckeyeRed27 (04-16-2021),dabvu2498 (04-16-2021),MWM (04-16-2021)

They call me "chef"

My identity hinges on combating what I perceive as Democrat-supported science so I’m OK with headlines about vaccines killing people. It shows why liberals and leftists are wrong.

22. Likes:

MWM (04-16-2021),Redsfaithful (04-16-2021),RedsfaninMT (04-16-2021)

But a couple things:

To add, all vaccines, like all drugs have risks. Even the basic flu shot has risks of serious reactions, about 1 in a million.

This overreaction was predicted and written about before we even developed the vaccine. There were going to be people who were going take anecdotal cases of deaths or illness of people who took the vaccine and use that to justify not taking it.

24. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (04-16-2021)

Turn Off Ads?