Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Make it June 1. Gives EVERYONE time to at least get the first shot and have a bit of time for it to start working.
    No. Do it now. There will be a risk now and there will be a risk June 1st. The curve is now flattened. The hospital crisis has been averted. PPEs are no longer a problem. These gov't controls are well past their prime

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-06-2021),goreds2 (05-05-2021),jimbo (05-05-2021),LeDoux (05-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I can live with that too. But even if you're going super conservative....June 1. NYC is probably waiting too long (July 1), but at least they've put a date to it.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (05-05-2021)

Fwiw, I’m in Albuquerque now with my son, and no one is wearing masks in the factory this time. They still require them in the hotel and airport, but it’s petty lax everywhere else. I asked about it at the factory, and they said they’ve had zero cases in a year, and now anyone that wants a vaccine can have it, and people can still wear a mask if they wish.

7. Likes:

Boston Red (05-06-2021),Sea Ray (05-06-2021)

Great to see that the CDC thinks we may "turn the corner" on the pandemic by July, even seeing a "sharp decline" in cases...

7 day average, U.S. cases/day:
    Jan 8: 259,614
    May 4: 48,003

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    This is the last straw for me. Now, I would advocate opening everything up entirely. If you don't get a vaccine at this point it's on you. And it sounds like about 30% of the population isn't getting vaccinated no matter what. So unless your plan is to never get back to normal I think it's time.

https://twitter.com/LiamWBZ/status/1389954841586323459
    Yea, I'm finally there too. Announce that it's happening four weeks out to give people time to go through the longest two-shot sequence (Moderna), and hope for the best. We've been garbage at containing this thing, and we're going to have to pay the piper on that the rest of the way. It's sad, but it is what it is. I don't know what else can be done at this point.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

So many bad things can happen to us all if we leave large pockets of unvaccinated people. Like variants, for instance. At least 2 (per Dr. Olsterholm) new variants were identified this week. So far it seems the vaccines are handling them OK, but the fewer people the disease can transmit to, the less frequency with which we'll see the variants.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Sure, all that is obvious. But we aren’t “leaving” large pockets unvaccinated- they refuse to get it. At some point Darwin has to start convincing people.

12. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-06-2021)

Let's advance the discussion on how to get more folks vaccinated. I'm against passports or setting opening levels based on vaccination numbers because I find that divisive to society. I do think the major problem with this has been the messaging. Upon listening to WLW this morning, the public is still mightily misinformed on this. The first caller said that "he's heard" that you can still get and spread the virus even if you're vaccinated. OK, where do you suppose he heard that? I can give you an answer: Fauci!

That is the wrong message but Fauci and the CDC are giving that message everytime they say that vaccinated people need to wear two masks. They are giving that message when they refuse to say that vaccinated people can eat at indoor restaurants and fly on a plane. I will go so far as to say, they're supporting the anti-vaxxers with such messaging. I really don't get it. I won't even get started with Biden's messaging because of politics and all but he's been abysmal on this too.

Since we are all sports fans, where are the athletes and the sports teams on this? Why aren't we hearing more about entire teams getting vaccinated en mass on their day off? They should make this a public event and then they should parade the benefits by showing that team in the dugout with no masks.

Where's Lebron James and the NBA on this? These athletes have the time and energy to rail on cops and the national anthem but promoting something that really would save lives, they're silent.

The messaging on this has been horrible and there is plenty of blame to go around

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    So many bad things can happen to us all if we leave large pockets of unvaccinated people. Like variants, for instance. At least 2 (per Dr. Olsterholm) new variants were identified this week. So far it seems the vaccines are handling them OK, but the fewer people the disease can transmit to, the less frequency with which we'll see the variants.
    Short of forcing vaccinations, though, we're out of luck. Kentucky had one of the best vaccine rollouts in the country, and we're down to vaccinating like 2,000 people per day. To reach the governor's 2.5 million goal, we'd have to go 335 more days, and that's assuming the rate stays the same for the next year. It's just not going to happen.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

In retrospect, making the stimulus check contingent on getting the vaccine would have been awesome.

16. Likes:

nmculbreth (05-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    In retrospect, making the stimulus check contingent on getting the vaccine would have been awesome.
    West Virginia is doing something similar now:

The state will offer a $100 savings bond to everyone between the ages of 16 and 35 who gets vaccinated, Gov. Jim Justice, a Republican, announced at a Monday briefing. It's part of an ongoing push to get shots into the arms of younger residents, who have been largely slow to roll up their sleeves so far.

"Our kids today probably don't really realize just how important they are in shutting this thing down," Justice said. "I'm trying to come up with a way that's truly going to motivate them — and us — to get over the hump."

The initiative will apply retroactively to people in this age group who have already gotten their shots. It is funded with money from the CARES Act, with Justice adding that officials have "vetted this in every way that we possibly can."
    https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ainst-covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Short of forcing vaccinations, though, we're out of luck. Kentucky had one of the best vaccine rollouts in the country, and we're down to vaccinating like 2,000 people per day. To reach the governor's 2.5 million goal, we'd have to go 335 more days, and that's assuming the rate stays the same for the next year. It's just not going to happen.
    These Governors and Biden are setting unrealistic goals. They'll likely have to suffer the indignity of not meeting them at some point down the road

Kids under 12.

Open everything up, then watch how a variant will target them.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Kids under 12.

Open everything up, then watch how a variant will target them.
    The problem is around 30% of the population isn't going to get this vaccine no matter what you do. I don't know what the solution is beyond just opening things up. Society just isn't going to accept living like this forever.

21. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    The problem is around 30% of the population isn't going to get this vaccine no matter what you do. I don't know what the solution is beyond just opening things up. Society just isn't going to accept living like this forever.
    It certainly is a very stupid game of chicken.

23. Likes:

M2 (05-06-2021)

Turn Off Ads?