Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

Well, just got back last night. Had to come back a week early because mud season was setting in fast. The lack of snow allowed the soil to freeze much deeper and store more water, and my truck never would have gotten out. Other than being banged up a little bit, me and the dog are all in one piece.

So, after four months of no internet, news or radio, it was interesting catching up. My gf came out a couple of times and and her family and my son came to visit once, but I explicitly said I didn't want to hear anything about the outside world and just wanted to enjoy my peace and quiet.

So, just skimming the news and talking to people, I see there was an insurrection by a bunch of dumbasses- surprise. Chick Corea, Tony Rice and Hank Aaron died. Talked to my BIL this morning, and he said Germany is a complete disaster right now and people are pissed and Europe is generally just flailing around. Got my first shot this morning. My gf and her kids and her parents already got theirs, all my kids got theirs, my dad and six of my siblings and their significant others got theirs, so it looks like anyone who wants to get it won't have a problem. No one in my family except for one of my daughters got covid, so we all got through it in one piece. The only one we were worried about was my dad anyway because he just turned 91, but my daughter and her two kids spent the year with him at his home and created a quasi human shield around him, so he had a normal life.

Nothing seems to have changed much here other than vaccines. Mask policies seem to be the same, and although I haven't touched base with all the people I know, all but one I have talked to have gotten the vaccine, so we (meaning, my friends) can start socializing normally again. Anyone who pushes back on the vaccine will not be allowed in my house indefinitely, and my friends feel the same. The great thing is these people are easy to identify because they make it a point to brag about it, so it's going to be easy to kick 'em off my friend list.

Hope everyone is doing well. You know what's funny? I took exactly 120 days worth of food with me, but the only thing I missed was fresh tomatoes. Going to have a big caprese salad for dinner tonight.

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-06-2021),Boston Red (04-06-2021),kaldaniels (04-06-2021),Plus Plus (04-07-2021),Redsfaithful (04-06-2021),RiverRat13 (04-06-2021),WildcatFan (04-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Would you be willing to have a vaccine passport to prove that you are vaccinated?
    I have my card saved to my phone and I'll gladly show it to anyone who asks. If a business requires me to wear a mask I will either do so or I'll choose another business

I'm certainly not going to make someone's choices on what they inject into their body a prerequisite for my friendship. First of all it's none of my business but secondly, what if there are some longterm negative effects yrs from now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I have my card saved to my phone and I'll gladly show it to anyone who asks. If a business requires me to wear a mask I will either do so or I'll choose another business
    You can buy fake cards, there is no proof that that card is real. You don't know how many people I deal with on a daily basis who say they are vaccinated without any proof.

Covid 19 may never disappear, it may just become noise.
    I'm looking for it to actually become the flu. Once that happens, it's all good, because we've obviously decided to live with the flu.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This meme illustrates a point I've been making on the messaging of this vaccine:

Attachment 17118

They need to tell these people who are fully vaccinated that they don't have to wear that condom around their mouths and nose anymore. Otherwise, what's the point?
    Maybe the point is to expect people to be brighter than a meme 100% guilty of the apples and oranges fallacy.

You can buy fake cards, there is no proof that that card is real. You don't know how many people I deal with on a daily basis who say they are vaccinated without any proof.
    That's all true. No doubt. The Reds are giving discounts on tickets if you show it. I guess they're taking a chance but it's a chance they're willing to take. DeWine said yesterday that his state will never have vaccine passports so we won't have to worry about it here

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Maybe the point is to expect people to be brighter than a meme 100% guilty of the apples and oranges fallacy.
    Brighter? You mean they know better than to listen to Fauci and ditch the mask and travel anyway?

I made a fake vaccine card so that I could get my Krispy Kreme donut every day!

(I did not really do that; I have a real one that gets completely filled in tomorrow)

I'm certainly not going to make someone's choices on what they inject into their body a prerequisite for my friendship. First of all it's none of my business but secondly, what if there are some longterm negative effects yrs from now?
    Well, that is the same argument the other anti-vaxxers make about measles and polio, and I wouldn't let them in my house either, not that they'd be my friends anyway.

I don't buy the reinfections. I saw Nate Silver tweet a while ago about reinfections. Basically he noted that each time there is a case it is pretty well publicized, and those numbered in the single digits. At the same time there were millions of positive test results. If reinfections were to be a problem you would see them far more often than we do.

I think once Memorial Day hits, most pandemic precautions will be lifted. There may be a resurgence come October again but pretty muted if you ask me. We are getting to the point where the vulnerable population is protected and Covid 19 may never disappear, it may just become noise.
    I don't believe there are many re-infections and doubt it will be a problem going forward. Like you said, it would dominate the news if it was an issue. I doubt immunity will be lifetime, but with how strong both natural and vaccine immunity has shown up after six months, I would guess boosters wouldn't be needed for several years.

I'm okay with everyone making their own personal decisions on how they're going to deal with vaxxers and anti-vaxxers and the like. Personally, I'm getting it, my wife is getting it, and we'll have to make a decision on the kids when the time comes. I'm not going to realy worry about what anyone else does all that much. I'm definitely not going to ask anyone their vaccination status before I hang out with them.

15. Likes:

mole44 (04-06-2021),Sea Ray (04-06-2021)

That's all true. No doubt. The Reds are giving discounts on tickets if you show it. I guess they're taking a chance but it's a chance they're willing to take. DeWine said yesterday that his state will never have vaccine passports so we won't have to worry about it here
    We require masks if you want to come into our retail area. It isn't because we are jerks or like seeing other people forced to wear masks, its about protecting our employees as well as protecting the business. In a small business, if one person gets sick and spreads the virus, at best we operate short of staff, at worse we have to shut down.

If you feel like wearing a piece of cloth over your face for a few minutes is too much to ask, then I don't really want your business. Losing a sale pales in comparison to losing days of sales because of an outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm okay with everyone making their own personal decisions on how they're going to deal with vaxxers and anti-vaxxers and the like. Personally, I'm getting it, my wife is getting it, and we'll have to make a decision on the kids when the time comes. I'm not going to realy worry about what anyone else does all that much. I'm definitely not going to ask anyone their vaccination status before I hang out with them.
    I'm not going to ask either. Like I said above, the ones that won't get it tend to proselytize about it anyway, so it's easy to weed out the crazies.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I'm not going to ask either. Like I said above, the ones that won't get it tend to proselytize about it anyway, so it's easy to weed out the crazies.
    That's a good point. Same with anti-maskers in general. If people just quietly didn't wear a mask I probably wouldn't even notice most times and mostly wouldn't care (at this point). But those opposed to wearing masks usually want to make a show about how they're NOT going to be forced to wear a mask. Not a fan of that.

Turn Off Ads?