Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is the crazy thing. There is a path towards getting full stadiums, safely. Its vaccinations, vaccinations, and vaccinations oh and throw in a the use of face masks as well.

I am with SeaRay here in that I don't think it's necessary to wear a face mask after you are fully vaccinated. I just don't think that science is there to "prove" it yet. I also wish OSU Football, the Reds and the Bengals would have mass vaccinations where the players, staff, and personal get a vaccination in a big PR move. For most of Ohio, I think if the Buckeyes do a mass vaccination, it will speak to a lot of people. Same with the Reds and Bengals locally. You frame it like, hey we are getting the shot, we want you to get the shot, we want a stadium full of fans this fall (or summer for the Reds.) I think athletes speak to a large swath of the population and are mostly viewed in a positive light.
    I feel like there was a time not even that long ago when this would have happened, but now I'm sure it would be a huge battle for any of those orgs to get everyone on board.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Likes:

Powel Crosley (04-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

5. Likes:

M2 (04-08-2021)

We got our first "close contact" report from one of our kids' schools today in all of 2021 today. Not a bad run. Those were much more regular in late 2020. Luckily my daughter was in the same class but not a close contact (and my daughter has had it already anyway).

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've been listening to this podcast lately. The guy is well qualified and quite serious...

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

My Flag Day projection might be pretty good - https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status...924179458?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I've been listening to this podcast lately. The guy is well qualified and quite serious...

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars
    Osterholm has been scarily accurate with his predictions. He predicted every wave and is predicting another one. I’m hoping he’s finally wrong.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

goreds2 (04-10-2021),WrongVerb (04-09-2021)

Wsj---

j&j vaccine supply shortage to hit u.s. Next week....just 700,000 doses have been allocated for delivery next week, compared to the 4.9 million doses that were distributed across the country this week.

politico---

pfizer and its partner biontech on friday asked the food and drug administration to greenlight its coronavirus vaccine for use in children 12 to 15 years old, just one week after the companies said a late-stage trial showed the vaccine was highly effective in this age group.

ap---

the world health organization said infection rates are climbing in every global region, driven by new virus variants and too many countries coming out of lockdown too soon.

“we’ve seen rises (in cases) worldwide for six weeks. And now, sadly, we are seeing rises in deaths for the last three weeks,” dr. Margaret harris, a who spokeswoman, said at a briefing in geneva.

In its weekly epidemiological update, the who said over 4 million covid-19 cases were reported in the last week. New deaths increased by 11% compared to last week, with over 71,000 reported.

Shouldn't feel the effects of the JNJ setback for a few weeks, if at all. We still have 50 millions doses distributed that haven't been administered. The 15 million lost is ultimately 15 million that could have been sent to other countries, which is sad.

Should we pivot to the 1 dose strategy once seniors are fully vaccinated to beat the variants?

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/02/...cine-strategy/

This is both insane and entirely predictable as the author stated in this post.

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2021/...travel-n382284

What’s striking about them is that they’re insane on both ends. It’s not just that unvaccinated people are overconfident in their safety, it’s that vaccinated people are underconfident. Like, by a lot.

And I don’t think we can blame that entirely on different human beings having different natural levels of risk-tolerance. Some of this has to be on Fauci and other public-health bureaucrats for having instilled a sense of hypercaution into people beyond what the actual risk merits.

They call me "chef"

I do actually agree that public health communication has not been enthusiastic enough about how good the vaccines are. Being more enthusiastic (which is appropriate and not lying from what I understand) would help get some people off the fence. The vaccines are miraculous but you wouldn't know that from the media or public health officials this year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

17. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-10-2021)

Well, that didn't take long. I'm having some people over in a week, and I only contacted people that said they have been vaccinated because I didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable. We used to do this a lot before covid, and it's the first gathering in over a year. So, another person that was not invited called me as asked why not, and I told her the word on the street was that she wasn't going to get the vaccine, and for the time being I only want vaccinated people in my home, since the vaccine is readily available now and the age range of the people coming goes from 18 to 80.

So, she goes off on me that that is discrimination and the vaccine is not FDA approved and it was rushed through and that it changes your DNA- basically all the anti-vax talking points. And, this woman is a school teacher and is refusing to get vaccinated. Oh well, this has been a great time to weed out the crazies.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, that didn't take long. I'm having some people over in a week, and I only contacted people that said they have been vaccinated because I didn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable. We used to do this a lot before covid, and it's the first gathering in over a year. So, another person that was not invited called me as asked why not, and I told her the word on the street was that she wasn't going to get the vaccine, and for the time being I only want vaccinated people in my home, since the vaccine is readily available now and the age range of the people coming goes from 18 to 80.

So, she goes off on me that that is discrimination and the vaccine is not FDA approved and it was rushed through and that it changes your DNA- basically all the anti-vax talking points. And, this woman is a school teacher and is refusing to get vaccinated. Oh well, this has been a great time to weed out the crazies.
    I'm sure she views you as one of the crazies. I think it's best that we not judge people on their health choices. Of everything you listed that she said, the only thing that's false is the changing of DNA. You are discriminating but it's your party. If you want to be discriminating in who you invite, that's not crazy. Personally I would not make vaccination a prerequisite for an invite to my party. First of all I'd find it divisive but most of all, I would leave it up to each individual person what risk they choose to take on. Regardless of what risk they care to take, I wouldn't call them crazy

20. Likes:

jimbo (04-11-2021)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post

I wouldn't say that your unvaccinated friend is misguided or wrong. It may be accurate to say so but it would also be squandering an opportunity to re-enforce and support my worldview that Fauci is bad and Democrats are bad and being purposefully obstinate about doing your part to help your community and neighbors get through a pandemic is godly.

Turn Off Ads?