Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

It's been two days, and Easter Sunday is still holding up its 0 positive test results here in Sedgwick County, KS. Only 122 tests, but it's the first 0 that has held for more than a day (every other zero one day one of reporting ended up with a small number later on). We've kept our numbers way, way down on cases since about mid-February now. Hoping that continues, but I've definitely seen a marked change in mask wearing behavior the last few days. So if we're still showing good numbers in about 10 days it will be a great sign. What I'm a bit worried about is our vaccination numbers. We'd really ramped up to between 4500 and 5000 per day two weeks ago, and at that rate we'd have been in really good shape really fast (with a population of 500k). But last week there was only one day over 4000, and the rest were closer to 3500. Yesterday barely exceeded 3500 as well. We need to get back closer to the 5000/day pace and get a huge chunk of the adult population vaccinated by May 1. Right now we're at about 30% with at least one shot and 10% fully vaxxed.

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-06-2021),Redsfaithful (04-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, just got back last night. Had to come back a week early because mud season was setting in fast. The lack of snow allowed the soil to freeze much deeper and store more water, and my truck never would have gotten out. Other than being banged up a little bit, me and the dog are all in one piece.

So, after four months of no internet, news or radio, it was interesting catching up. My gf came out a couple of times and and her family and my son came to visit once, but I explicitly said I didn't want to hear anything about the outside world and just wanted to enjoy my peace and quiet.

So, just skimming the news and talking to people, I see there was an insurrection by a bunch of dumbasses- surprise. Chick Corea, Tony Rice and Hank Aaron died. Talked to my BIL this morning, and he said Germany is a complete disaster right now and people are pissed and Europe is generally just flailing around. Got my first shot this morning. My gf and her kids and her parents already got theirs, all my kids got theirs, my dad and six of my siblings and their significant others got theirs, so it looks like anyone who wants to get it won't have a problem. No one in my family except for one of my daughters got covid, so we all got through it in one piece. The only one we were worried about was my dad anyway because he just turned 91, but my daughter and her two kids spent the year with him at his home and created a quasi human shield around him, so he had a normal life.

Nothing seems to have changed much here other than vaccines. Mask policies seem to be the same, and although I haven't touched base with all the people I know, all but one I have talked to have gotten the vaccine, so we (meaning, my friends) can start socializing normally again. Anyone who pushes back on the vaccine will not be allowed in my house indefinitely, and my friends feel the same. The great thing is these people are easy to identify because they make it a point to brag about it, so it's going to be easy to kick 'em off my friend list.

Hope everyone is doing well. You know what's funny? I took exactly 120 days worth of food with me, but the only thing I missed was fresh tomatoes. Going to have a big caprese salad for dinner tonight.
    I think we need to talk more about how Europe is a ****storm right now. We wanted to talk about it a lot last year for whatever reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm looking for it to actually become the flu. Once that happens, it's all good, because we've obviously decided to live with the flu.
    COVID 19 was the best thing that ever happened to my kids. I don't even have to worry about the flu anymore.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Brighter? You mean they know better than to listen to Fauci and ditch the mask and travel anyway?
    I think a condom meme is sort of silly to bring into this as if it holds any measurement of relevancy.

"It's sort of like..."

Is usually "Nothing like."

But those opposed to wearing masks usually want to make a show about how they're NOT going to be forced to wear a mask. Not a fan of that.
    This might surprise Sea Ray, but this is where I'm at, there's an entire vibe that usually comes with it. Again, this is in my limited experience, I have barely gone anywhere in the last year.

It's interesting to me that it's almost always the same sort of person. If I see someone not wearing a mask who isn't an older white male it's always a surprise.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    We wanted to talk about it a lot last year for whatever reason.
    What is there to talk about?

Who is surprised that in the "stay home, wear a mask, keep distance" phase of this Europe mostly did well and we didn't? And who is surprised that when it came time for a bleeding edge tech solution that needed a ton of money and resources that we would do better? None of it is surprising or even that political, other than a few obvious points there's no point in going into for the millionth time.

There are models for how to handle this, none of them were ever Europe, or us. I'm interested in eventually reading research and journalism on what Vietnam and places like that did and hopefully we will learn and do better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Who is surprised that in the "stay home, wear a mask, keep distance" phase of this Europe mostly did well and we didn't? And who is surprised that when it came time for a bleeding edge tech solution that needed a ton of money and resources that we would do better? None of it is surprising or even that political, other than a few obvious points there's no point in going into for the millionth time.

There are models for how to handle this, none of them were ever Europe, or us. I'm interested in eventually reading research and journalism on what Vietnam and places like that did and hopefully we will learn and do better next time.
    Europe's distribution of the vaccine, specifically the EU, has been horrendous.

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-06-2021)

That's a good point. Same with anti-maskers in general. If people just quietly didn't wear a mask I probably wouldn't even notice most times and mostly wouldn't care (at this point). But those opposed to wearing masks usually want to make a show about how they're NOT going to be forced to wear a mask. Not a fan of that.
    This is my experience as well. We have pretty high mask-compliance where I live, but the few unmasked people you see at stores seem to strut around looking for someone to say something about it so they can start a confrontation. I'd go out of my way to avoid these people, not only to protect myself from the virus but life is too short to deal with losers like that.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    This is my experience as well. We have pretty high mask-compliance where I live, but the few unmasked people you see at stores seem to strut around looking for someone to say something about it so they can start a confrontation. I'd go out of my way to avoid these people, not only to protect myself from the virus but life is too short to deal with losers like that.
    You guys are insane.

And you are correct. Life is too short. Which is exactly why we had a lot of losers hole themselves up for a whole year.

"Life is too short."
    "Hey, let's just sit in my basement for a year."
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 04-06-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Places like Vietnam literally locked people in their homes for weeks at a time. That simply will not work in countries that have basic freedoms.

In Germany, the issue is their population density. Sure, they looked great when they locked down, and it suppressed it temporarily, but it just flourished again when it opened up because it’s got 80 million people in a place the size of Kentucky and Tennessee. Also, even in rural areas, and Germany is one of the most rural countries in Europe, there really isn’t a concept of suburbs where people are spread out. When I was in Maine the last four months, and granted I was isolated, but my brother and sister-in-law were not, once you leave the airport you don’t even see anybody wearing a mask. But then again, the entire state only has one and a half million people and most of them are down in the south west corner of the state.

Plus, in non-authoritative countries, people just aren’t going to trust the government 100%. Germany tried doing contact tracing and they made a big deal about how awesome it was going to be, but the reality is that it was a failure and isn’t even talked about anymore. People were giving wrong names and addresses, turning off the Bluetooth when they went places, and things like that. And at the end of the day, by September and October, the Government came to the conclusion that the vast majority of cases came from private gatherings, because they could not track 75% of cases back to public gatherings. I mean, if you can’t get the Germans to obey, it’s certainly not going to work anywhere else.

13. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-06-2021)

They call me "chef"

If you didn't spend 2020 outdoors watching doctored Planned Parenthood videos on your iPhone or in line at Chipotle sweating and wondering if the brown person in front of you is an LGBTQ+ Antifa, you didn't truly live.

15. Likes:

moewan (04-07-2021),Redsfaithful (04-06-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-06-2021),westofyou (04-06-2021),WrongVerb (04-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Places like Vietnam literally locked people in their homes for weeks at a time. That simply will not work in countries that have basic freedoms.
    For sure, my hope is there are things that happened in countries like this that we can use. Much of it will be unrealistic. Mandatory quarantine if you are sick or exposed is 100% something that could happen in America though. We already do it for some diseases.

- - - Updated - - -

Europe's distribution of the vaccine, specifically the EU, has been horrendous.
    Sure, not surprising to me at all that we are doing much better. This is the part we are good at.

You guys are insane.

And you are correct. Life is too short. Which is exactly why we had a lot of losers hole themselves up for a whole year.

"Life is too short."
    What are you talking about? I was referring to the losers who strut around maskless looking for confrontations about it. I'm not talking about becoming a hermit.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

You guys are insane.

"Life is too short."
    lol I just didn't go out unnecessarily, but ok man. I saw Dave Chappelle live last year, played a ton of tennis, lifted hard all year (best year of lifting I've had as an adult), went hiking, ran a lot earlier in the year, did pandemic friendly things with the kids, like drive through holiday lights.

I went to the grocery store less and didn't eat in restaurants. So crazy!

19. Likes:

M2 (04-06-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-06-2021),WrongVerb (04-06-2021)

I don't know who these people who supposedly holed up inside are supposed to be. They don't live near me. All year we've constantly been bumping into people from all around our neighborhood. Never seen so many people walking around. They're masked up and keep distanced, but they've been out regularly in all kinds of weather.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Countries in mainland Europe did not do an Operation Warp speed and it's costing them now. Another factor is their stringent lockdowns only pushed back the inevitable. They still got hit, just later. We've seen that play out in strict states in this country do. Nobody avoided getting hit here.

Turn Off Ads?