Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    lol I just didn't go out unnecessarily, but ok man. I saw Dave Chappelle live last year, played a ton of tennis, lifted hard all year (best year of lifting I've had as an adult), went hiking, ran a lot earlier in the year, did pandemic friendly things with the kids, like drive through holiday lights.

I went to the grocery store less and didn't eat in restaurants. So crazy!
    Same. My wife and I both started walking in the summer. I'm down almost 50lbs since we began. Not eating in restaurants has definitely helped with that. We also go hiking almost every weekend, and have been spending lots more time outdoors.

My mom had her first hug in over a year the other day when my cousin went to see her. Both were fully vaccinated. It's gonna be nice when that's more common.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Countries in mainland Europe did not do an Operation Warp speed and it's costing them now. Another factor is their stringent lockdowns only pushed back the inevitable. They still got hit, just later. We've seen that play out in strict states in this country do. Nobody avoided getting hit here.
    The second part is true, however the EU bought millions of shots from Pfizer that was offered to the US Government but were declined. Its their rollout, not the vaccination production.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't know who these people who supposedly holed up inside are supposed to be. They don't live near me. All year we've constantly been bumping into people from all around our neighborhood. Never seen so many people walking around. They're masked up and keep distanced, but they've been out regularly in all kinds of weather.
    We did not entertain friends (throw parties) for the past year. We stayed out of bars but we did see our elderly parents and we went out to eat. It all worked out great. Our parents did not lose a year of seeing their kids and we lived our lives, all be it a little more carefully. As for people "holed up" I'd say our own Dougdirt qualifies. Based on his messages here at RZ he holed up.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The second part is true, however the EU bought millions of shots from Pfizer that was offered to the US Government but were declined. Its their rollout, not the vaccination production.
    Vaccine production is a part of it. Many European countries bet on AstraZeneca and got burned:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/w...-shortage.html

Operation Warp speed bet on 6 different vaccines and that was part of the genius of it all. We're now the envy of the world, including Mexico and Canada who asked Biden for vaccines (to which Biden refused).

Michigan is an excellent real world example of what happens when you have strict C19 rules. Michigan had such rules throughout the holidays and their numbers plummeted but that was not long lasting. All it did was push the wave back and now they're the worst state in the country for C19

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mic...tmer-criticism

There's a lesson to be learned here about how not to handle a pandemic

Michigan is an excellent real world example of what happens when you have strict C19 rules. Michigan had such rules throughout the holidays and their numbers plummeted but that was not long lasting. All it did was push the wave back and now they're the worst state in the country for C19

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mic...tmer-criticism

There's a lesson to be learned here about how not to handle a pandemic
    And the lesson is....?

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    And the lesson is....?
    Michigan sucks

10. Likes:

jimbo (04-06-2021),mole44 (04-07-2021)

They call me "chef"

And the lesson is....?
    Literally any article can be support for your argument, if you're disingenuous enough.

And the lesson is....?
    Don't go crazy with the Draconian lockdowns. Lockdown only in extreme cases such as when your health system is overwhelmed

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Ohio is turning the corner. We had 1800 reported cases today; a week ago we had 2400

Don't go crazy with the Draconian lockdowns. Lockdown only in extreme cases such as when your health system is overwhelmed

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Ohio is turning the corner. We had 1800 reported cases today; a week ago we had 2400
    What was peak cases per day in other cities that didn't lock down vs the Michigan cities now? Overall are there less people getting it?

Getting infected with covid isn't inevitable...it's very much preventable.

What was peak cases per day in other cities that didn't lock down vs the Michigan cities now? Overall are there less people getting it?

Getting infected with covid isn't inevitable...it's very much preventable.
    This C19 bug is a tough one. It pretty much hit everywhere. I don't know of any state that prevented it. Flatten the curve by definition implied that everyone was going to get hit. It was just a matter of when. Draconian lockdowns did not prove to be beneficial in the long run. States like Texas ands Florida flattened their curve. Michigan just pushed theirs back

This C19 bug is a tough one. It pretty much hit everywhere. I don't know of any state that prevented it. Flatten the curve by definition implied that everyone was going to get hit. It was just a matter of when. Draconian lockdowns did not prove to be beneficial in the long run. States like Texas ands Florida flattened their curve. Michigan just pushed theirs back
    Isn't the benefit that doctors learned how to treat the disease much better, prevented hospitals from being overloaded, and probably prevented lots from getting infected in general, from both preventative measures and now having a much more vaccinated and immune population?

Isn't the benefit that doctors learned how to treat the disease much better, prevented hospitals from being overloaded, and probably prevented lots from getting infected in general, from both preventative measures and now having a much more vaccinated and immune population?
    You don't need draconian measures to accomplish those things. Ohio used more liberal measures than Michigan, but Michigan didn't fare any better.

Another swing and a miss there. I posed two "if" questions and they were both accurate. It did not predict anything. The headline that I responded to, that C19 is "the leading cause of death" didn't happen. Keep digging
    Sure. 60K deaths for the year. You bought into that from the go. Your words and there ain't a bit of "I didn't say what I said" shenanigans will wash them off you.

"...about as deadly as the flu." Also your words.

Here's another:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hurd Immunity.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	17120

So, using the chart below, can you please tell us when that "herd immunity" is supposed to start kicking in?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NY.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	17121

Shall I visit Sweden next?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

18. Likes:

M2 (04-07-2021)

Oregon, Maine, and Washington all have done well.

Turn Off Ads?