Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

I know it isn't like this yet everywhere, but in Cincinnati, it seems like pretty much everyone who wants the vaccine has the vaccine.

I have always been 100% on board with mask wearing, social distancing, etc.

But I feel like if we are at the point where everyone who wants one has one, shouldn't the masks come off at that point? Shouldn't everything open back up, full capacity at that point?

Vaccinated people can't spread it to unvaccinated people:
    https://healthfeedback.org/claimrevi...ed-people-ill/

Obviously unvaccinated people can spread it, but that's why we have the vaccine.

If we are catering to folks that refuse to get the vaccine for one reason or another, I'm not on board with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I am stunned by how many of those people there are. My gf's friend was telling us that the other day the head of HR was trying to talk someone into not getting the vaccine for her and her family, and the CEO herself claims that covid is fake.
    Same.

Last weekend I had to listen to 2 relatives explain to everyone how the vaccines alter your DNA, and, wait for it... "mess with your junk so your kids come out all messed up."

I just don't have any sympathy for that kind of nonsense.

I will continue to be skeptical of the vaccines until they are fully vetted. But like anything else, we make our choices and we pay the bill. If someone says they don't want to get it because we aren't sure of long term effects, or whatever, I can at least understand that. But I don't think society should continue to be on semi-pause for that either.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 04-30-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

goreds2 (05-01-2021),Sea Ray (04-30-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think you set a date of like Memorial Day, which gives basically everyone time to at least get the first shot (which is, frankly, probably enough). And then restrictions come off. NYC basically set that to July 1, so most other places could certainly do it for May 31.

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If you live in a state where life hasn't changed very much, and you're not the type to do much traveling, I'm not at all surprised that people aren't going to go out of their way to get the vaccine.
    Like I said, we'll see all types. Including the types who can't figure out how to get out of their own way.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I know it isn't like this yet everywhere, but in Cincinnati, it seems like pretty much everyone who wants the vaccine has the vaccine.

I have always been 100% on board with mask wearing, social distancing, etc.

But I feel like if we are at the point where everyone who wants one has one, shouldn't the masks come off at that point? Shouldn't everything open back up, full capacity at that point?

Vaccinated people can't spread it to unvaccinated people:
    https://healthfeedback.org/claimrevi...ed-people-ill/

Obviously unvaccinated people can spread it, but that's why we have the vaccine.

If we are catering to folks that refuse to get the vaccine for one reason or another, I'm not on board with that at all.

Same.

Last weekend I had to listen to 2 relatives explain to everyone how the vaccines alter your DNA, and, wait for it... "mess with your junk so your kids come out all messed up."

I just don't have any sympathy for that kind of nonsense.

I will continue to be skeptical of the vaccines until they are fully vetted. But like anything else, we make our choices and we pay the bill. If someone says they don't want to get it because we aren't sure of long term effects, or whatever, I can at least understand that. But I don't think society should continue to be on semi-pause for that either.
    I have heard this as well. By my kids are already messed up, what caused that?

8. Likes:

757690 (04-30-2021),Bob Sheed (04-30-2021),goreds2 (05-01-2021),M2 (04-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have heard this as well. By my kids are already messed up, what caused that?
    Tequila?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

dfs (05-01-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-01-2021)

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-01-2021)

Yahoo---

Herd immunity likely to elude the U.S.

The U.S. is about to run out of adults who are ready and willing to get vaccinated against COVID-19, according to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll.

The survey of 1,558 Americans 18 or older, which was conducted from April 27 to April 29, found that while the number who say they have already been vaccinated (57 percent) has continued to climb in recent weeks, just 6 percent now say they have not yet been vaccinated but plan to get a shot “as soon as it is available to me.” That’s down from 35 percent in February and 17 percent earlier in April.

At the same time, the share of adults who say they are unsure (7 percent), are waiting to see “what happens to others before deciding” (10 percent) or will “never” get vaccinated (20 percent) has not budged.

The implication is stark: Unless many of the unvaccinated Americans who have been saying for months that they’re waiting or unsure have a sudden change of heart, fewer than 65 percent of U.S. adults are likely to be inoculated against COVID-19 this spring — far short of the level experts say is required for the kind of lasting population-wide protection known as herd immunity.

Reaching that threshold — the point when an estimated 80 percent of all Americans regardless of age have been vaccinated and the coronavirus runs out of potential hosts — would then require an additional 96 million U.S. residents to be vaccinated, a process that could presumably begin when regulators approve the COVID vaccines for use in children.

The only problem? There are just 73 million minors in the entire country, and nowhere near all of them will be vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Yahoo---

Herd immunity likely to elude the U.S.
    Well you didn't provide a link to the entire article but I see no mention of natural immunity. That's the factor so often not accounted for

https://www.webmd.com/lung/what-is-h...s%20protection.

Herd Immunity

Herd immunity, or community immunity, is when a large part of the population of an area is immune to a specific disease. If enough people are resistant to the cause of a disease, such as a virus or bacteria, it has nowhere to go.

While not every single individual may be immune, the group as a whole has protection. This is because there are fewer high-risk people overall. The infection rates drop, and the disease peters out.

Herd immunity protects at-risk populations. These include babies and those whose immune systems are weak and can’t get resistance on their own.

How Do You Achieve Herd Immunity?

There are two ways this can happen.

You can develop resistance naturally. When your body is exposed to a virus or bacteria, it makes antibodies to fight off the infection. When you recover, your body keeps these antibodies. Your body will defend against another infection. This is what stopped the Zika virus outbreak in Brazil. Two years after the outbreak began, 63% of the population had had exposure to the virus. Researchers think the community reached the right level for herd immunity.

Vaccines can also build resistance. They make your body think a virus or bacteria has infected it. You don’t get sick, but your immune system still makes protective antibodies. The next time your body meets that bacteria or virus, it’s ready to fight it off. This is what stopped polio in the United States.

Exactly right. I very rarely hear Fauci mention natural immunity when talking herd immunity numbers. Of course there are a lot of people who have had C19 who also got the vax but there are also a lot of anti vaxxers who also felt that C19 is a hoax who in turn came down with C19. In a sense all these positive C19 tests are a good thing when talking herd immunity

It would be great to have some data on how long people are actually immune after having COVID. It feels like a great unknown with random anecdotes of people being reinfected but no real widespread data that I've seen. Could be it's out there and I just haven't seen it, but it feels like something that we need to nail down.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

20. Likes:

Falls City Beer (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It would be great to have some data on how long people are actually immune after having COVID. It feels like a great unknown with random anecdotes of people being reinfected but no real widespread data that I've seen. Could be it's out there and I just haven't seen it, but it feels like something that we need to nail down.
    Reinfections are quite rare

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/s...n-older-adults

Hard data is not possible with such a new disease. We don't even know how long the vax protects us but historically speaking, immunity is generally long lasting with other viruses

I'm wondering what the delay is in regard to full FDA approval of any of the vaccines.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Reinfections are quite rare

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/s...n-older-adults

Hard data is not possible with such a new disease.
    Well of course, but we're about 15 months out now from the start of this (in the US) so you'd think we'd have some sense now. I feel like immunity must last this long or we'd have widespread reinfections happening - but I'm not sure if that's right. I understand there's a lot of noise around whether or not reinfection is prevented by masking, distancing, luck, vaccination, etc, it just feels like a data point we need to get a handle on.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?