Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

One third of people who had covid develop new neurological and psychiatric issues within 6 months. That's...suboptimal.

6-month neurological and psychiatric outcomes in 236,379 survivors of COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study using electronic health records

Findings

Among 236,379 patients diagnosed with COVID-19, the estimated incidence of a neurological or psychiatric diagnosis in the following 6 months was 33·62% (95% CI 33·17–34·07), with 12·84% (12·36–13·33) receiving their first such diagnosis. For patients who had been admitted to an ITU, the estimated incidence of a diagnosis was 46·42% (44·78–48·09) and for a first diagnosis was 25·79% (23·50–28·25).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    lol I just didn't go out unnecessarily, but ok man. I saw Dave Chappelle live last year, played a ton of tennis, lifted hard all year (best year of lifting I've had as an adult), went hiking, ran a lot earlier in the year, did pandemic friendly things with the kids, like drive through holiday lights.

I went to the grocery store less and didn't eat in restaurants. So crazy!
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I did go out and socialize on a consistent basis with other friends in bars, restaurants, gyms, but I'm selfish for doing all those things. Apparently, you're much more altruistic than me.

Also, my point of the post is that that the dude said "Life is too short" and we have people all over this board who just went out for a beer for the first time in a year last week and they felt like they're living their lives again. Doesn't make much sense.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I did go out and socialize on a consistent basis with other friends in bars, restaurants, gyms, but I'm selfish for doing all those things. Apparently, you're much more altruistic than me.

Also, my point of the post is that that the dude said "Life is too short" and we have people all over this board who just went out for a beer for the first time in a year last week and they felt like they're living their lives again. Doesn't make much sense.
    He was specifically referring to people walking around stores without a mask clearly wanting someone to confront them about it. I have a cousin that does this, he’s freaked out on multiple Kroger employees in Toledo. He talks about it while playing World of Warcraft with my brother like he stormed the beach of Normandy. The original point wasn’t difficult to grasp. It’s almost as if you are doing the same thing but on a baseball message board.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

They call me "chef"

The guy can’t hold a coherent thought around his entire identity of being the only free guy who isn’t a terrified loser holed up in his basement. Lol.

Just heard something interesting from a friend.

My friends daughter got sick last week and tested positive for COVID. She’s fine. So, my friend’s wife has been fully vaccinated since February. She just got a call from the health department urging her to get tested for COVID. She said she was fully vaccinated, so no need. The health dept told her they are getting many people testing positive for covid who have been fully vaccinated and at least 2+ weeks post 2nd shot.

Sooooo, uh, do these vaccines work?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Oregon, Maine, and Washington all have done well.
    Kingspointe said recently that Oregon is saying they won't be able to get vaccinations to everyone who wants 'em till July. That doesn't sound like doing well

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

My friends daughter got sick last week and tested positive for COVID. She’s fine. So, my friend’s wife has been fully vaccinated since February. She just got a call from the health department urging her to get tested for COVID. She said she was fully vaccinated, so no need. The health dept told her they are getting many people testing positive for covid who have been fully vaccinated and at least 2+ weeks post 2nd shot.

I'm sure they work. But, "many" is a loaded term. I have no idea what that means. Plus, the vaccines are not 100% effective, and that was made clear. If a million people get the vaccine, even at 95% effectiveness there will be 50,000 that can still get covid. And since the people that get the vaccine will have no reason to get tested unless they are showing covid symptoms, on the outside it will look like the vaccine doesn't work to some people.

The point of a vaccine is to develop herd immunity so that the virus can't find a new hosts, not to make everyone 100% protected.

They call me "chef"

Define work.

For some people, they’ll be protected fully. Others will get COVID but without hospitalization. A small percentage will still get COVID and get it bad but still avoid the worst results.

I have a young kid so I won’t be doing any post-vaccine social binging and, if I were immunocompromised, I wouldn’t consider the vaccine to be full immunity. I know it’s still out there and it can still affect me and or my family. It will still be a negotiation and consideration of risk for us and I am OK with doing that. The extra padding the vaccine gives me will translate, at first, to more time with immediate family and re-introducing stuff like hair cuts, some dining, etc. that I’ve avoided since 3/2020. If you’re young or healthy, I’d consider the vaccines to be a pretty good preventative measure while understanding you can still get asymptomatic or mild COVID if you’re unlucky.

All that said, if there’s actual data that suggests the vaccines aren’t as effective as they seem to be, I’m open to learning. Please only link me to Democrat sources though, like the CDC and scientists.

11. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-06-2021)

Heresay your honor. (No disrespect to you, the messenger)

I welcome all the data we can get on this topic I’ll add. We know those vaccinated can become infected. But are they dying or hospitalized?

50 million plus or so are fully vaxxed. Let’s see some numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Heresay your honor. (No disrespect to you, the messenger)

I welcome all the data we can get on this topic I’ll add. We know those vaccinated can become infected. But are they dying or hospitalized?

50 million plus or so are fully vaxxed. Let’s see some numbers.
    Yeah, I thought it was clearly an anecdote

Yeah, I thought it was clearly an anecdote
    It was.

But you did ask if the vaccines work.

Forgive me but I think people should be excited about the data we’ve seen and not have it blurred by anecdotes. Still a good bit of (for whatever reason) vaccine hesitancy out there.

(To anyone) Give me all the data you can find on this subject!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Kingspointe said recently that Oregon is saying they won't be able to get vaccinations to everyone who wants 'em till July. That doesn't sound like doing well
    Ohio has had 2.5 times the covid incidence per capita as Oregon. I would suspect Oregon has a higher percentage of people who want the vaccine compared to Ohio, therefore it will take a bit longer for everyone who wants one to get one. Oregon will be opening up to anyone 16 and up on April 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It was.

But you did ask if the vaccines work.

Forgive me but I think people should be excited about the data we’ve seen and not have it blurred by anecdotes. Still a good bit of (for whatever reason) vaccine hesitancy out there.

(To anyone) Give me all the data you can find on this subject!
    Thought it was worthwhile to mention the health department is asking vaccinated folks to get tested because they are seeing people test positive who have been vaccinated.

A couple weeks ago I said this:

A few days ago Fauci was warning us of the spike in Europe and how we generally lag 4 weeks behind them. I said at that time that he was discounting the success of our vaccinations and how that will likely save us from that fate. Well here's an expert that agrees with me:
    https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...ci#post4217343

I said at the time that he was blowing this out of proportion and that we would not suffer Europe's fate due to our vaccinations yet Fauci still said this:

Fauci warns possible 4th surge in COVID-19 cases could undermine progress
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/fauci-warn...iUMX7ZwNVUas44

Well now Fauci has come around to what I was spouting two weeks ago. He now doesn't think we'll suffer through what Europe is:

Dr. Fauci: Vaccines Should Prevent Another Huge COVID Surge
    https://www.newsmax.com/us/fauci-cov...06/id/1016532/

Why people still think he's got anything profound to say, I do not know. Even my tea leaves are better than his. Yeah Tony, you're two weeks late to the party. Catch up!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post

I socialized this past summer outdoors with friends. This past winter there was one other family in our neighborhood that we did a ton of stuff with. My mom who watches my kids while my wife and I are at work has a pre-existing condition so we were pretty cautious keeping our quarantine group small. My uncle, who I also work with, and a compromised immune system, so I also kept him in mind deciding upon what to do.

"Life is too short" sure is a fun thing to say, but I want to spend as much time with my mom and my uncle. It just wasn't worth heading out to an indoor bar or restaurant for 6 months. Not going to call anyone selfish, everyone doe things for their own reason.

19. Likes:

dabvu2498 (04-07-2021),M2 (04-07-2021),Redsfaithful (04-07-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-07-2021),westofyou (04-07-2021)

Turn Off Ads?