Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

As I was driving home from work yesterday, I saw someone in a minivan drive by with the words "Masks are child abuse" written in their rear window. That's a new one for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I socialized this past summer outdoors with friends. This past winter there was one other family in our neighborhood that we did a ton of stuff with. My mom who watches my kids while my wife and I are at work has a pre-existing condition so we were pretty cautious keeping our quarantine group small. My uncle, who I also work with, and a compromised immune system, so I also kept him in mind deciding upon what to do.

"Life is too short" sure is a fun thing to say, but I want to spend as much time with my mom and my uncle. It just wasn't worth heading out to an indoor bar or restaurant for 6 months. Not going to call anyone selfish, everyone doe things for their own reason.
    Yeah, this nails it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Ohio has had 2.5 times the covid incidence per capita as Oregon. I would suspect Oregon has a higher percentage of people who want the vaccine compared to Ohio, therefore it will take a bit longer for everyone who wants one to get one. Oregon will be opening up to anyone 16 and up on April 19th.
    If you want the jab here you'll get it way before July

Here's an excellent piece about the science of C19:

“The narrative is screwed up in a way,” says Vincent Racaniello, a professor of microbiology and immunology at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University. For one, he says, there is only one known strain of the novel coronavirus -- the original one, SARS-CoV-2, first discovered in Wuhan. And, two, there's no evidence so far of a variant that can meaningfully evade vaccines, though there are several variants out there.
    How 'bout these positives we're seeing in fully vaccinated people?

The way vaccines work is that when you get infected after you’re vaccinated you have a memory response and it takes two or three days to kick in. In those two or three days, you are going to be infected, but the infection will be kept down, you won’t get sick and you probably won’t transmit it.
    It's not so much about antibodies. It's about t-cells:

I am not worried at all that this virus is going to out-evolve vaccines. People have been looking at it the wrong way. People have been looking at antibodies. People say, “ah, the variants are less susceptible to antibodies. But, you know what? They are ignoring T cells. It turns out, none of the variants have changes that would impact the ability of the T cells to kill an infected cell. The Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) - Get Report vaccine turns out to be 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and deaths in South Africa…. I just saw an article today that showed that the U.K. variant ... made no difference in the outbreak in the U.K. It made no difference. The people who know, they are not worrying that the vaccines are going to be compromised by a variant. That’s what I can say with certainty.
    https://www.thestreet.com/latest-new...ent-racaniello

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If you want the jab here you'll get it way before July
    Exactly. That's what I said to KP at the time

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I socialized this past summer outdoors with friends. This past winter there was one other family in our neighborhood that we did a ton of stuff with. My mom who watches my kids while my wife and I are at work has a pre-existing condition so we were pretty cautious keeping our quarantine group small. My uncle, who I also work with, and a compromised immune system, so I also kept him in mind deciding upon what to do.

"Life is too short" sure is a fun thing to say, but I want to spend as much time with my mom and my uncle. It just wasn't worth heading out to an indoor bar or restaurant for 6 months. Not going to call anyone selfish, everyone doe things for their own reason.
    I'm sorry. That sounds very selfish. As others have repeatedly said on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm sorry. That sounds very selfish. As others have repeatedly said on this board.
    Literally no one on this board called an approach like bucksfan described as selfish.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Here's an excellent piece about the science of C19:

How 'bout these positives we're seeing in fully vaccinated people?

It's not so much about antibodies. It's about t-cells:

https://www.thestreet.com/latest-new...ent-racaniello
    I can understand confusing strain and variant of a strain. To a layman that sounds very similar. The way it sounds that if there really is a new "strain", its going to basically be a completely different disease, even if somewhat similar. Now I'm curious about the flu and whether it's different strains vs variants and what we might expect in the future for vaccines for covid.

(goes to google Flu variants vs strains, etc)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchama...h=90d98412241d

Discussion around variant vs strain. Lots of good stuff about flu out there as well.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchama...h=90d98412241d

Discussion around variant vs strain. Lots of good stuff about flu out there as well.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Literally no one on this board called an approach like bucksfan described as selfish.
    He doesn't really have a coherent point. He can only speak in terms of losers locked up in their basement and winners going out to bars since early pandemic. He has nothing to contribute toward the giant chasm in between where most human beings have been existing.

12. Likes:

RBA (04-07-2021)

Tri-County health (Adams, Arapahoe, and Jefferson County) just lifted the outdoor mask mandate because Colorado was awarded the 2021 MLB All-Star game. Pure coincidence? Strange how things work.
    Last edited by goreds2; 04-07-2021 at 10:28 PM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Tri-County health (Adams, Arapahoe, and Jefferson County) just lifted the outdoor mask mandate because Colorado was awarded the 2021 MLB All-Star game. Pure coincidence? Strange how things work.
    One does not necessarily follow the other.

Believing so invites conspiratorial thinking.

If they'd lifted it July 10th I'd see a correlation but I think all states should do this right away because outdoor events are not significant spreaders. It's nuts that we have to wear masks when we're seated at a Reds game

16. Likes:

goreds2 (04-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If they'd lifted it July 10th I'd see a correlation but I think all states should do this right away because outdoor events are not significant spreaders. It's nuts that we have to wear masks when we're seated at a Reds game
    In a fully packed stadium I think it still makes a lot of sense for a while, but in a less than 50% capacity stadium with spacing its not that much risk. It's also just super easy to wear a mask so these types of things don't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    In a fully packed stadium I think it still makes a lot of sense for a while, but in a less than 50% capacity stadium with spacing its not that much risk. It's also just super easy to wear a mask so these types of things don't bother me.
    Here is the crazy thing. There is a path towards getting full stadiums, safely. Its vaccinations, vaccinations, and vaccinations oh and throw in a the use of face masks as well.

I am with SeaRay here in that I don't think it's necessary to wear a face mask after you are fully vaccinated. I just don't think that science is there to "prove" it yet. I also wish OSU Football, the Reds and the Bengals would have mass vaccinations where the players, staff, and personal get a vaccination in a big PR move. For most of Ohio, I think if the Buckeyes do a mass vaccination, it will speak to a lot of people. Same with the Reds and Bengals locally. You frame it like, hey we are getting the shot, we want you to get the shot, we want a stadium full of fans this fall (or summer for the Reds.) I think athletes speak to a large swath of the population and are mostly viewed in a positive light.

19. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?