Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1005

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

Here's a short commentary that gets right to the point:

Yesterday afternoon, the CDC saw fit to announce formally what people of sound mind have known for months: that Americans who have been fully vaccinated do not gain anything by slinging pieces of dirty cloth across their faces...

The CDC’s affirmation was met with celebrations from the journalistic class and the White House, and with laughter from everyone else. In New York City and Washington D.C., the news may well have felt like a liberation. In the places where the CDC has long lost its influence – namely, most of the United States of America — it felt like a bad joke. After months of incoherence, the federal government had finally arrived at where Florida, Texas, and others had been by March.
    This applies to many RZers and Rachel Maddow:

The novelist Walter Kirn noted this transformation as pithily as usual. “As the masks go away,” he wrote, “a lot of Americans are going to miss the ability to classify, shame, and despise one another at first sight.”
    Bottom line is this:

In contemporary America, there is apparently only one thing worse than being unable to tell which are the good guys and which are the monsters, and that is being accused of being pro-monster oneself. Unfortunately for those who fear such denunciations, there’s no vaccine against that.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...r-of-monsters/

Yep, there's no vaccine for that...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm done with it. I'm not letting it control my life
    my man, you've posted the same message every day for about the last three months. It's like the guy who insists he's over the breakup but can't stop talking about his ex.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

4. Likes:

WrongVerb (05-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    my man, you've posted the same message every day for about the last three months. It's like the guy who insists he's over the breakup but can't stop talking about his ex.
    This ex is still pertinent in our lives although I think this week is a turning point

This ex is still pertinent in our lives although I think this week is a turning point
    I see. She still reaches out to "check in" but really she just wants to keep you at arm's length? Been there.

Best thing seems to be to listen to the experts, keep your distance, get your vax, cut off communication and she'll eventually stop bothering us.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I see. She still reaches out to "check in" but really she just wants to keep you at arm's length? Been there.

Best thing seems to be to listen to the experts, keep your distance, get your vax, cut off communication and she'll eventually stop bothering us.
    The experts have been telling us for 2 months that the vax is great and we don't need our masks after getting vaccinated. Then there's Fauci...

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    We may be done with the pandemic. But the pandemic isn't done with us.
    That's what I've been saying about Wichita for weeks. Almost months now. The pandemic is over here whether it's over or not. Luckily the numbers have stayed low on cases and all despite that and the declining rate of vaccination. I think we've been very fortunate.

So far.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 05-15-2021 at 10:36 AM.

The 7 day average numbers that are rolling off are going to start as of today being low enough that they'll be tough to beat. So if we DO keep beating them, it will be fantastic news.

Sadly, deaths will creep over 600k today. Hopefully our last sad round number milestone.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 05-16-2021 at 02:41 PM.

I don't know what you all are seeing in your areas, but in the last few days we've had our first pop in vaccinations (particularly first doses) in quite some time. Given that nothing else has changed, I have to assume it is mostly 12-15 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't know what you all are seeing in your areas, but in the last few days we've had our first pop in vaccinations (particularly first doses) in quite some time. Given that nothing else has changed, I have to assume it is mostly 12-15 year olds.
    Ohio had about 22k started which is a good Sunday number. Some 14 year olds and some wanna be millionaires?

Sunday's case numbers are fairly meaningless for a number of reasons, but yesterday's stands at less than 20k. More than a 25% drop from the previous Sunday if numbers hold.

Evidence is that the mRNA vaccines are effective against the India variant.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/951107

At this point I'm not seeing any evidence that a booster will even be needed

Evidence is that the mRNA vaccines are effective against the India variant.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/951107

At this point I'm not seeing any evidence that a booster will even be needed
    The mRNA vaccine has always been pretty good against variants.

To suggest that there is no evidence that a booster will be needed is pretty shortsighted. The mRNA vaccines are all of 6 months old, there isn't data one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The mRNA vaccine has always been pretty good against variants.

To suggest that there is no evidence that a booster will be needed is pretty shortsighted. The mRNA vaccines are all of 6 months old, there isn't data one way or the other.
    By definition any sentence that begins with "at this point" is short sighted. What you said goes without saying. As of right now there does not appear to be a need for a booster. Of course facts may change that in the future but as of here and now, there's little need for a booster

The need for a booster shot is already a topic of discussion in the science community:

Top Scientists Question the Need for COVID-19 Booster Shots

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/951042

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

"We don't see the data yet that would inform a decision about whether or not booster doses are needed," said Kate O'Brien, director of the Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals at the World Health Organization (WHO).

O'Brien said the WHO is forming a panel of experts to assess all variant and vaccine efficacy data and recommend changes to vaccination programs as needed.
    IOW: "We don't know yet one way or the other" isn't "there's no evidence we'll need them."

We simply don't have enough information to make that determination yet.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?