Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm sure she views you as one of the crazies.
    Yes, I would expect that because that's how crazy people act. I'm kind of glad, actually. And at least I'm consistent, because I call all of the other anti-vaxxers that withhold vaccines from their kids crazy too.
    I think it's best that we not judge people on their health choices.
    Why not? I also don't allow smoking in my house. That's a health choice too, but I shouldn't judge? So, when I invite some friends over, it's judgemental if I only select the ones who have said they are vaccinated so everyone feels comfortable?

Of everything you listed that she said, the only thing that's false is the changing of DNA.
    No, it's all false and lazy talking points.

Let's look at approval- the only difference between EUA and Approval is the sequence of events: "An EUA does not affect vaccine safety, because it does not impact development, such as research, clinical studies and the studying of side effects and adverse reactions. Instead, it speeds up manufacturing and administrative processes." It only means that manufacturers are allowed to put it into production earlier (you know, because it's an emergency?). The clinical evaluations still have to take place. I mean, the FDA even gives cigarettes FDA Approval so it isn't a guarantee that a product is safe, but suddenly terminology is a big issue.

Rushed through? Of course the vaccines were developed quickly, but it's because multiple manufacturers worked on them simultaneously and put everything else aside. Plus, mRNA technology is not new and there are articles going back decades about them. Besides, the only reason to use the term "rushed through" is to minimize the vaccine.

First of all I'd find it divisive but most of all, I would leave it up to each individual person what risk they choose to take on. Regardless of what risk they care to take, I wouldn't call them crazy
    If she actually had a reasonable argument that didn't only consist of verbatim facebook talking points, you might have a point. For instance, if she said something like "Oh, I heard that you are having friends over again, and I understand that only people that are vaccinated can come. I hate to miss it, but I'm still anxious about the vaccine and will wait a while longer. I'll catch up with you then." I'd be cool with that, and wish her luck. But no, I get a lecture instead by someone who gets her news from hillbillies on the web instead of reading actually research by actual scientists. Remember, I didn't ask anyone if they were vaccinated- they told me.

2. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (04-11-2021),dabvu2498 (04-11-2021),Edd Roush (04-11-2021),Larkin Fan (04-11-2021),Plus Plus (04-11-2021),Redsfaithful (04-11-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-11-2021),RFS62 (04-18-2021),SteelSD (04-11-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Should we pivot to the 1 dose strategy once seniors are fully vaccinated to beat the variants?

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/02/...cine-strategy/
    England who's rates are far, far lower than ours, switched early to the one shot strategy. Their overall vaccination rate is pretty close to ours, but the % of people who have one dose is way higher and the percentage completed is way lower. But their strategy has paid off.

The US CDC and Biden admin have seemed too rigid to change. Just as now when you have places like Michigan and NY that are surging, do you give them a higher percentage of the doses? They say it is "on the table" but they seem paralyzed in their ability to actually change from the status quo.

Edit: The guy RiverRat linked to Eric Topol looks like fascinating follow on Twitter for Covid.

He points out that Michigan's governor has been requesting extra vaccines for weeks and Biden Admin refuses.

Also - Yesterday was biggest vaccination day ever is US. Over 10 million in one day !!

And that within last week NY and NJ look to be cooling off, while Michigan is on fire, and Florida and Colorado are heating up.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-11-2021 at 11:32 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-11-2021)

Reuters-

The United States had administered 183,467,709 doses of COVID-19 vaccines and distributed 237,791,735 doses as of Saturday morning, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

The agency said 117,142,879 people had received at least one dose, while 70,692,645 people had been fully vaccinated as of Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    England who's rates are far, far lower than ours, switched early to the one shot strategy. Their overall vaccination rate is pretty close to ours, but the % of people who have one dose is way higher and the percentage completed is way lower. But their strategy has paid off.

The US CDC and Biden admin have seemed too rigid to change. Just as now when you have places like Michigan and NY that are surging, do you give them a higher percentage of the doses? They say it is "on the table" but they seem paralyzed in their ability to actually change from the status quo.

Edit: The guy RiverRat linked to Eric Topol looks like fascinating follow on Twitter for Covid.

He points out that Michigan's governor has been requesting extra vaccines for weeks and Biden Admin refuses.

Also - Yesterday was biggest vaccination day ever is US. Over 10 million in one day !!

And that within last week NY and NJ look to be cooling off, while Michigan is on fire, and Florida and Colorado are heating up.
    I think the one dose strategy from the get go would have been smart, but I don’t think you can change it now. Consistent messaging is important when you are battling hesitancy and if all of the sudden the message changed to, we are just doing one of these, it would likely do more harm than good.

8. Likes:

dabvu2498 (04-11-2021),RiverRat13 (04-11-2021)

Agree it is probably too late now.

More back of the napkin COVID math - the UK is now well below the 50/100,000 for 2 weeks benchmark. Now the UK had around 42% of the population with natural immunity versus probably 30% for Ohio. With the current vaccination rate, we probably make up for that difference in about 3 weeks. We probably won't hit DeWine's goal until mid June. So that's all a long way to say not going with a one shot strategy will prolong our restrictions for additional 6 weeks or so than had we went with one shot.

The Florida Department of Health’s COVID-19 dashboard reported 5,520 new confirmed cases, the most on a Sunday since February.

Sunday is usually the day with the lowest case numbers and death toll because data tends to be collected and entered at a lower rate on the weekends. The April 11 report was the highest since Feb. 28’s 5,539.

Saturday’s state-wide positive test rate of 7.65% was higher than any other daily percentage since 7.65% on March 28.

Apparently, the spike is just "mild" according to some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Florida Department of Health’s COVID-19 dashboard reported 5,520 new confirmed cases, the most on a Sunday since February.

Sunday is usually the day with the lowest case numbers and death toll because data tends to be collected and entered at a lower rate on the weekends. The April 11 report was the highest since Feb. 28’s 5,539.

Saturday’s state-wide positive test rate of 7.65% was higher than any other daily percentage since 7.65% on March 28.

Apparently, the spike is just "mild" according to some.
    As of right now the spike is mild seeing as they've had spikes that push 20,000. Their 7 day avg is about 6,000. In January their 7 day avg was over 10K for the entire month. This may change in the future but as of right now the spike is mild. See for yourself:

Attachment 17135

https://tallahasseereports.com/2021/...avirus-battle/

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Kentucky's governor just announced that once we hit 2.5 million vaccines, he's lifting pretty much all COVID restrictions. Estimating 4-6 weeks. I'm ready.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Osterholm has been scarily accurate with his predictions. He predicted every wave and is predicting another one. I’m hoping he’s finally wrong.
    Nate Silver has an interesting tweet thread about this. It's not discrediting Olsterholm (who has been more right than wrong on this one) it's more the framing in a negative light.

I do think there is something to these Dr's when it comes to the data. If they can't say with 100% conviction, they tend to skew towards the more conservative opinion, and those opinions are more negative in regards to Covid.

14. Likes:

757690 (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Kentucky's governor just announced that once we hit 2.5 million vaccines, he's lifting pretty much all COVID restrictions. Estimating 4-6 weeks. I'm ready.
    So about a 55% vaccine rate over the entire Commonwealth in 4-6 weeks? I don't see it.

Didn't see this mentioned in a search.... Over in the UK they've just concluded a Phase II trial of a Canadian nasal spray called SaNOtize that kills 95% of the virus in 24 hours and 99% in 72 hours. They are planning to apply for EUA in UK and Canada.

Dr Stephen Winchester, chief investigator of the UK trial, said: “I expect this to be a major advance in the global battle against the pandemic.

“Simply stated, I think this could be revolutionary.”

--------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2I3lnKlSxQ&t=92s

It is already approved in Israel and New Zealand because there it is treated as medical device, whereas Canada treats it as a drug. It is not a preventative. It's an immediate treatment after exposure and infection.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-13-2021 at 01:19 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Nate Silver has an interesting tweet thread about this. It's not discrediting Olsterholm (who has been more right than wrong on this one) it's more the framing in a negative light.

I do think there is something to these Dr's when it comes to the data. If they can't say with 100% conviction, they tend to skew towards the more conservative opinion, and those opinions are more negative in regards to Covid.
    i posted something similar to this awhile back. Doctors are Uber cautious by nature. Every doctor I’ve had has added a few days or weeks to whatever advice they were giving. I think they assume we aren’t going to listen to them fully, and last 5 days when they tell us a week, so they tell us two weeks in the hope we last a full week. I think that what is going on with the CDC during this entire pandemic.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Hey, remember when everyone called me an idiot for simply having questions about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and why it was being pushed to poor people?....

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/13/h...mpression=true

(CNN)The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the US Food and Drug Administration are recommending that the United States pause the use of Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine over six reported US cases of a "rare and severe" type of blood clot.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Even Sanjay Gupta now agrees that C19 came from a Chinese lab

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ab-theory.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Even Sanjay Gupta now agrees that C19 came from a Chinese lab

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ab-theory.html
    That is not what he said at all. He does not agree that C19 came from a Chinese lab. He said that it is possible that it may have. From your article:

'I was not as shocked by what he said as the fact that he said it,' Gupta said. 'There's reason to suspect that this is the origin of the virus.'

'It's a big virology lab right in Wuhan that happened to be studying bat coronaviruses. Just from an Occam's razor standpoint, finding the simplest explanation, it would make sense,' he said, adding, 'We still don't know for certain what the origin is.'
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?