Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

IF four QBs go 1-4, and pitts/chase/Sewell is a group of 3, can only go back to 7 and be assured of getting one of them. If they see slater in that group, can only go back to eight safely. Otherwise, if go to 9 entirely possible to miss that group entirely, and Tobin said they wouldn’t risk that.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Don’t see five qbs going in top 5. Even four is unprecedented.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Don’t see five qbs going in top 5. Even four is unprecedented.
    Agreed, it would be unprecedented. But if there's a year it could happen, it's this year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

IF four QBs go 1-4, and pitts/chase/Sewell is a group of 3, can only go back to 7 and be assured of getting one of them. If they see slater in that group, can only go back to eight safely. Otherwise, if go to 9 entirely possible to miss that group entirely, and Tobin said they wouldn’t risk that.
    If 1-4 are QBs, you trade back to 9 with Denver who will also take a QB. Worst case scenario would be:

1-5: QBs
    6: Chase
    7: Pitts
    8: Sewell
    9: Bengals get Slater

Let's say it goes like this:

1: Lawrence
    2: Wilson
    3: Jones
    4: Pitts

Bengals trade back to 9. Denver takes Fields or Lance. Worst case is Chase, Sewell, Slater go 6-8 - which I see as highly unlikely but it would be the worst case. I would guess Detroit or Carolina trade out with someone coming up to take the last QB, but for argument's sake let's say that doesn't happen. Now the Bengals are once again in the action spot at 9 for teams to come up to take the last QB. You'd potentially have NE, WFT, and Chicago all making a play to do so. So you'd have a good backup plan if those 4 guys are all gone by the time you get to 9.

Now if Fields or Lance goes 3rd, that would end any chance of trading back in my mind. I don't see teams wanting to come up for Jones.

The bigger issue is that Taylor needs to win this year. I think taking Chase is the best move for 2021. Taking Sewell or trading back would probably be the better moves for the long term.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 04-22-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Now if Fields or Lance goes 3rd, that would end any chance of trading back in my mind. I don't see teams wanting to come up for Jones.
    This was my assessment as well. The 49ers have to take Jones at #3 for this trade back scenario to play out hugely in the Bengals favor, because, as you point out, other teams aren't going to make the move up for Jones.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Lost track, is a dropped ball the same as getting a QBs knee caved in? Has anyone ANYONE advocating for Chase said that if he is drafted he will never drop a ball? Because I have never heard that.

And I did NOT post that to say that Sewell would get Burrow hurt. I DID post it to say that even with Sewell, QBs take bad hits.

What I am saying is that it is serious bad faith argument to say that passing on Sewell means you don't care about Burrow. And it is further a serious bad faith argument to say that drafting Sewell erases that risk. And that HAS been said. A lot. There was even a stupid meme about it.
    https://twitter.com/joereedy/status/...748570112?s=20

Who on here has said Joe can't get hurt with a good line? Carson got unlucky with a very good line. Our QB got hit historically bad last year. It's just a bad take to say "Well, anyone could get hurt with 1 hit!"

Of course! ANd no one is disagreeing with you. I'll repeat this once again: I'm fine if Chase is the pick but when you "wait" until the 2nd round to protect our most valuable asset, it doesn't really tell me the team truly does care about protecting Burrow. If you want to take that chance and roll with it, that's fine. But be prepared for the consequences.

"Don't worry guys. We'll just select one of these other OL who aren't as good as the ones we could take earlier."
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 04-22-2021 at 10:07 AM.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-23-2021)

We keep talking about a group of three, Chase, Sewell, and Pitts. I have seen absolutely no speculation that the Bengals are entertaining Pitts. And as big of a mistake I think it will be to pass up Sewell, I think its a massive mistake to take Pitts.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    We keep talking about a group of three, Chase, Sewell, and Pitts. I have seen absolutely no speculation that the Bengals are entertaining Pitts. And as big of a mistake I think it will be to pass up Sewell, I think its a massive mistake to take Pitts.
    Pretty sure they won't take Pitts. But pretty much all observers group those 3 as elite premium prospects on their own tier. So have to include Pitts if that is the conversation being had - about trading back - when Tobin said they don't want to trade far enough back to lose the tier they are currently choosing from.

What if Miami trades up to 4 and takes Chase?

That likely leaves Fields and Lance and gives the Bengals a good chance to trade down.

They they have Sewell or trade down.

Chiefs acquired OT Orlando Brown, the No. 58 pick in the 2021 draft, and a 2022 sixth-round selection from the Ravens in exchange for the No. 31 overall pick, a 2021 third- and fourth-round pick, and a fifth-round selection in the 2022 draft. Brown, a Pro Bowl player for Baltimore at both its left and right tackle spots, arrives as Kansas City's projected left tackle on the final year of his contract. It's another move that revamps and fortifies the team's offensive line ahead of the 2021 season, adding the 24-year-old alongside Joe Thuney, Kyle Long, and Austin Blythe.

That's how you protect a franchise Quarterback, if you are even half-serious about winning a SuperBowl. You don't waste a quality opportunity by being stupid and drafting a Receiver when a once-in-20-year opportunity presents itself for grabbing a LT to protect for Life your franchise QB.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I was listening to Dane Brugler on the local ESPN outlet and he reported that if Sewell had come out last yr he would have been the 4th tackle taken...not sure why you continue to think Sewell is a once in a lifetime prospect...he's a good prospect and one I think the Bengals might end up with especially if the reports are true in regards to ATL trying to deal Julio.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

16. Likes:

membengal (04-26-2021),RiverRat13 (04-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I was listening to Dane Brugler on the local ESPN outlet and he reported that if Sewell had come out last yr he would have been the 4th tackle taken...not sure why you continue to think Sewell is a once in a lifetime prospect...he's a good prospect and one I think the Bengals might end up with especially if the reports are true in regards to ATL trying to deal Julio.
    And he's not alone in saying that.

I'm convinced they will take Chase and address "Tackle" in the 2nd or 3rd Round, leaning towards drafting a RT who can also play G, not a LT.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?