Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    We are in agreement that they've failed to protect Burrow. Honestly, their line has been an issue since their last playoff team, as the 2016 line stunk even with Whitworth and Zeitler (thanks Cedric O). They've sunk plenty of resources into the line but through a combination of bad drafting, coaching, trades (Corey Glenn) and injury luck, they have little to show for the draft capital they've spent on the offensive line. Off the top of my head, since 2015, they've drafted three first round offensive linemen (Cedric O, Price and Jonah) along with Fisher in the second. Only Williams looks like a keeper from that group, and he's had major issues staying healthy. At some point, they have to be able to draft and develop offensive linemen, especially outside the first round, because all these wasted picks on first round offensive linemen come at the expense of picking other positions that need an infusion of talent. You can only pick so much of one position without the rest of your roster suffering. Their issue isn't lack of attention to the line (aside from arguably guard) but not picking the right players and coaches.
    Trying to fix everything through the draft was one problem. Ignoring average FA's for the O-Line and instead over-paying for bad ones by outbidding themselves was another. Seems Mike Brown was the problem, along with Marvin Lewis' input to the draft (and one year of a very bad O-Line Coach). All three of those problems seem to be gone now. It will be much better, and already is with what has been done this season so far.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Simple solution is never reach for a first round pick with injury history or especially where the first year is going to require significant rehab - especially OLine or Dline where leg strength and contact is paramount. Cedric and Billy Price are perfect examples along with John Glass. The salary structure dictates immediate production from your round 1-2 picks. By that simple criteria that would have eliminated the three worst first round picks in the last ten years. Let other more thorough teams evaluate and sift through injury risks in round 1.

I know not an OL, but will never figure out the John Ross pick at #9

4. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-12-2021),Kingspoint (04-12-2021),membengal (04-12-2021),Redsfaithful (04-12-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Bengals Claim TE Thaddeus Moss

Thaddeus Moss did not move too far down the waiver priority list. The Bengals placed a successful claim on the former UDFA tight end, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets.

Washington waived the second-generation pass catcher last week, doing so after Moss spent his would-be rookie season on IR. Now, the former LSU tight end will reunite with Joe Burrow. Both played their final college seasons in 2019, when the current Bengals quarterback soared to the Heisman Trophy in a passing attack that included Moss, Justin Jefferson, Ja’Marr Chase, Terrace Marshall Jr. and Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

The son of Randy Moss, Thaddeus has yet to play a regular-season down in the NFL. Washington waived him with an injury designation ahead of last season, and he passed through waivers to the team’s IR list.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Simple solution is never reach for a first round pick with injury history or especially where the first year is going to require significant rehab - especially OLine or Dline where leg strength and contact is paramount. Cedric and Billy Price are perfect examples along with John Glass. The salary structure dictates immediate production from your round 1-2 picks. By that simple criteria that would have eliminated the three worst first round picks in the last ten years. Let other more thorough teams evaluate and sift through injury risks in round 1.

I know not an OL, but will never figure out the John Ross pick at #9
    Levi Jones was a reach when they took him.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

"So Fla Red"

He was panned by Kiper at the time, but can't remember if he had an injury history in college or going into the draft

Gio to the Bucs. Great move for him. Will be interested to see the $$$ for the 1-year deal

Wondering if the Moss signing is a signal that the Bengals will draft Chase at #5...saw some buzz on twitter that the Bengals could possibly be trying to recreate the offensive feel Burrow had at LSU.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Bucs just signed Gio. Tom Brady gets another toy compliments of Cincinnati.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    He was panned by Kiper at the time, but can't remember if he had an injury history in college or going into the draft

Gio to the Bucs. Great move for him. Will be interested to see the $$$ for the 1-year deal
    Kiper panned them not trading back if I remember...Bengals tried to trade back but feared going back too far and losing him...as Tenn and NYG had him rated high as well.

Good for Gio Brady will absolutely love him....

I think the Twitter buzz is legit. Probably more of a hybrid between LSU and the McVay style offense I'd imagine.

Like I've said before I think, a Boyd, Higgins, and Chase 3 WR set is a nightmare for defenses especially when you account for Mixon too. Plus, Moss could be lightening in a bottle. It's highly likely Burrow and he are good friends. I think that helps his cause.

There's more depth at O line than WR IMO. I was strictly on the Sewell side a month ago, but if Chase puts up Justin Jefferson numbers in year 1 than that's a solid number 1 pick.

12. Likes:

membengal (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Kiper panned them not trading back if I remember...Bengals tried to trade back but feared going back too far and losing him...as Tenn and NYG had him rated high as well.

They were in the mix that year for Jeremy Shockey I think.

Kiper did kill them for not trading back.

I just don't feel good about our starting Tackles being one guy who's played only 10 of 32 games (more games and more missed time if you count missed preseason games, missed training camps and missed OTA's), and the other Tackle on a 1-year contract and deep into his 30's.

The Bengals have not had success drafting in the second 2/3rd's of the 1st Rd, so a trade-down is not necessarily a benefit. Chase is small and WR's of smaller size miss games, lots of them,...it's just a fact of the NFL. Sewell is the only logical choice. Pitts sounds exciting, but our last two TE's we took in the 1st were busts. Gresham couldn't catch a pass and was a penalty machine, while Eifert couldn't stay healthy, making planning impossible, like our current starting LT.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I just don't feel good about our starting Tackles being one guy who's played only 10 of 32 games (more games and more missed time if you count missed preseason games, missed training camps and missed OTA's), and the other Tackle on a 1-year contract and deep into his 30's.

The Bengals have not had success drafting in the second 2/3rd's of the 1st Rd, so a trade-down is not necessarily a benefit. Chase is small and WR's of smaller size miss games, lots of them,...it's just a fact of the NFL. Sewell is the only logical choice. Pitts sounds exciting, but our last two TE's we took in the 1st were busts. Gresham couldn't catch a pass and was a penalty machine, while Eifert couldn't stay healthy, making planning impossible, like our current starting LT.
    Chase is shorter than the prototypical wide out but he is thicker and tougher to tackle...plus he is strong for a receiver as he benched 225 23 times at his pro day. I think he will be fine in the pros if that is the pick.

17. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (04-13-2021),RiverRat13 (04-13-2021),WrongVerb (04-13-2021)

Chase is shorter than the prototypical wide out but he is thicker and tougher to tackle...plus he is strong for a receiver as he benched 225 23 times at his pro day. I think he will be fine in the pros if that is the pick.
    It's like he was made in a lab for the AFC North.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

nm
    Last edited by SirFelixCat; 04-13-2021 at 09:59 PM.

Turn Off Ads?