Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

New thread for when we reach 1,000 in the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

The offseason churn continues as Gio Bernard has been released (apparently he asked for his release)

Nothing but class from Gio during his Bengal tenure

I can't remember an offseason with so much veteran/high cap turnover

4. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-07-2021)

The purge of Marvin's players continues. Which should have happened last year when these guys had some trade value. Really should have happened once Taylor got the job (could have gotten good picks for Dunlap, Geno, Dalton, etc), but Taylor reportedly got the job in part because he said the roster had more than six wins in it. So instead they do the purge two years and 25 losses later.

Gio for a bag of footballs would still be better than nothing.

I guess I find it hard to believe no one was offering even a low 7th.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

7. Likes:

forfreelin04 (04-07-2021)

Might as well throw in three RBs to look at in the draft:

Michael Carter (UNC)
    Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis)
    Demetric Felton (UCLA)

I like Carter and he looks like a Gio clone but third round is too early to spend on a RB.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Perine is a competent backup RB so they may only need competition for 3rd-string. I say use a 6th or 7th round pick at most, or maybe even find an undrafted guy.

And I think Gio’s salary likely made him untradable. He’s a good player, but expensive for a backup

10. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Perine is a competent backup RB so they may only need competition for 3rd-string. I say use a 6th or 7th round pick at most, or maybe even find an undrafted guy.

And I think Gio’s salary likely made him untradable. He’s a good player, but expensive for a backup
    A scatback who could operate as a pass catcher would take pressure off Mixon and open up the offense. The three listed are really about the only ones who would fit the mold.

Here’s PFF on the RBs:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-...-back-rankings

At least the Bengals aren't in a situation where they were when they took Price because the Center they should have taken went one pick ahead of them and the Bengals categorically refuse to trade up in the 1st round to get the correct draft pick, once again letting the draft play them instead of them being aggressive and getting the right pieces from the draft. Whether it's Pitts, Chase, Sewell, or a trade down, they'll come out better than going into the draft. It does seem like they are waiting to add one more Guard until after they see how the draft pans out. Makes sense, as a Tackle they take could play Guard for them right away depending on who they draft.

I don't think they are done in Free Agency concerning the O-Line, but will wait to see how the draft pans out before they make their next move in Free Agency. Wouldn't be surprised if they are listening to offers hoping to turn #5 into multiple quality picks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

We can give the ball to any runningback if the line is good enough. If it's not, it doesn't matter who we put in the backfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    A scatback who could operate as a pass catcher would take pressure off Mixon and open up the offense. The three listed are really about the only ones who would fit the mold.

Here’s PFF on the RBs:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-...-back-rankings
    Mike Renner does a good job on his PFF articles.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

GAC (08-22-2021)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Might as well throw in three RBs to look at in the draft:

Michael Carter (UNC)
    Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis)
    Demetric Felton (UCLA)

I like Carter and he looks like a Gio clone but third round is too early to spend on a RB.
    I don't think they need to draft a RB at all, but Javian Hawkins out of Louisville would be an interesting prospect in the later rounds. Assuming he's improved his pass-catching ability, he could line up in the slot as well. He reminds me of another Hawkins...no relation.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Gio for a bag of footballs would still be better than nothing.

I guess I find it hard to believe no one was offering even a low 7th.
    Eh, why trade a 7th for an old RB when you can just use the 7th round pick to draft a young RB with way less wear and tear on him?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-08-2021)

I don't know the particulars, but one of The Athletic guys said that the Bengals structured Mixon's contract where they could get out of it after 2021 with little dead cap. So RB may be a little higher than we think it should be. The 5th would be the absolute earliest, IMO.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Eh, why trade a 7th for an old RB when you can just use the 7th round pick to draft a young RB with way less wear and tear on him?
    and selecting a 21/22 yr old 6th or 7th round RB at an ~$600K salary or a 9th year situational RB with a $4.7M cap hit.
    It's the almost 5M cap hit that negated any realistic trade value for Gio. Without a restructured deal there was no trade market.

20. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-08-2021)

IF they take Sewell and Marshall and Bateman are both long gone (like I expect) by their pick in the second round, I would rather they take another o-lineman at 38 than select a WR who profiles to the slot or otherwise reach for a WR who plays the outside but who should go a round or two later.

The depth of this draft at 38 and 69 is at o-line and d-line. IF they go Sewell, they need to lean into that depth and hope to get some project WRs in 4th - 7th rounds.

It is not my preferred course of action, but what they should do if they go Sewell in 1.

As always, no reaching.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

22. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-09-2021),RiverRat13 (04-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    IF they take Sewell and Marshall and Bateman are both long gone (like I expect) by their pick in the second round, I would rather they take another o-lineman at 38 than select a WR who profiles to the slot or otherwise reach for a WR who plays the outside but who should go a round or two later.

The depth of this draft at 38 and 69 is at o-line and d-line. IF they go Sewell, they need to lean into that depth and hope to get some project WRs in 4th - 7th rounds.

It is not my preferred course of action, but what they should do if they go Sewell in 1.

As always, no reaching.
    If they want offensive line in the first, I'd still prefer to trade back and roll the dice. Even if they go back too far for Sewell, I'd be fine with Slater. Use the extra pick on another offensive lineman in the 2nd.

Turn Off Ads?