Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    So your broad strokes statement needed qualifiers then?
    You have a draft loaded with OL depth so yes they should be going all in on the OL since they don’t feel a sense of urgency to even sign a back up C for a player who may not be ready to start the year. Quit looking at the shiny object who you may never be able to pass to.

My facts may not be clear or on point but I recall Mike Browns obsession with the skill players who will bring the fans in while overlooking both the OL and DL. Going back to Klinger and Peter Warrick. I remember his comments. His way of thinking with the obsession with the skill players and letting everything else go to crap.

You could say that the drafting of LB has been the biggest issue more than skill players. That part has been even worse going back to the mid 90s. Takeo Spikes is about all you can say was a good pick. Odell Thurman was a mess. James Francis was lazy and would not even bother to show up most of the time. So many bad LB picks that continued up to 2019.
    Let’s hope the 2020 group has at least 1 good player.

Clearly qualifiers are needed when you draft badly. 2009 they draft Smith in the first. They got snowed by the con man at Alabama that Smith was a hard worker who could be relied on. 4th pick was C Luigis from Arkansas in that continued search that is ongoing for someone who is at least half of what Rich Braham was.

2010 you get one year and done Otis Hudson and Reggie Stephens.

2011 you actually get a decent G in Clint Boling in the 4th

2012. Kevin Z. Good pick but of course like Whitworth they just let go because they think they can draft OL very easily. Always talking about we sign our own until they are actually good enough to not be worth it. Like Jonathan Joseph at CB. BS about not being able to afford because of that ever worrying rookie cap they fret about as an excuse.

2013 they actually drafted 3 OL. Most organizations heck a lot can at least turn 1 into a backup at least. Depth. Something this team does even worse than drafting average starters.

2014. Russell Bodine. The horror at C continues.

2015. Already discussed. At this point even with the lack of drafting but 2 good OL and no depth they were still OK with what they had. Yet in 2016-17 it was Christian Westerman and JJ Deilman while letting Whitworth and Kevin Z go.
    That’s not valuing the OL. It’s horrific malfeasance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

RG is the most pressing need on the team you could be very happy with Chase in the 1st and an offensive lineman in the 2nd...you could even double dip in the 3rd or 4th for OL depth.

You could also be thrilled with Sewell in the 1st and a wide out in the 2nd...depending on which one is there.

I get the debate but either scenario is win/win as long as you get the guys you are targeting...to me the first scenario is a clearer path...but I like both options.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You have a draft loaded with OL depth so yes they should be going all in on the OL since they don’t feel a sense of urgency to even sign a back up C for a player who may not be ready to start the year. Quit looking at the shiny object who you may never be able to pass to.

My facts may not be clear or on point but I recall Mike Browns obsession with the skill players who will bring the fans in while overlooking both the OL and DL. Going back to Klinger and Peter Warrick. I remember his comments. His way of thinking with the obsession with the skill players and letting everything else go to crap.

You could say that the drafting of LB has been the biggest issue more than skill players. That part has been even worse going back to the mid 90s. Takeo Spikes is about all you can say was a good pick. Odell Thurman was a mess. James Francis was lazy and would not even bother to show up most of the time. So many bad LB picks that continued up to 2019.
    Let’s hope the 2020 group has at least 1 good player.

Clearly qualifiers are needed when you draft badly. 2009 they draft Smith in the first. They got snowed by the con man at Alabama that Smith was a hard worker who could be relied on. 4th pick was C Luigis from Arkansas in that continued search that is ongoing for someone who is at least half of what Rich Braham was.

2010 you get one year and done Otis Hudson and Reggie Stephens.

2011 you actually get a decent G in Clint Boling in the 4th

2012. Kevin Z. Good pick but of course like Whitworth they just let go because they think they can draft OL very easily. Always talking about we sign our own until they are actually good enough to not be worth it. Like Jonathan Joseph at CB. BS about not being able to afford because of that ever worrying rookie cap they fret about as an excuse.

2013 they actually drafted 3 OL. Most organizations heck a lot can at least turn 1 into a backup at least. Depth. Something this team does even worse than drafting average starters.

2014. Russell Bodine. The horror at C continues.

2015. Already discussed. At this point even with the lack of drafting but 2 good OL and no depth they were still OK with what they had. Yet in 2016-17 it was Christian Westerman and JJ Deilman while letting Whitworth and Kevin Z go.
    That’s not valuing the OL. It’s horrific malfeasance.
    It's literally valuing offensive line. That's on top of all the first round picks.

And they can value the offensive line this year at 38 and 69 in a deep o-line draft. You are just wrong to claim that they are falling back into drafting skill players as a value over o-line. If anything, they've done TOO much o-line in round 1 arguably.

In 2011, they went with AJ Green. In 2013, Tyler Eiftert. They were both foundational pieces to really good Bengals teams. Built on Whit, a second round draft pick on line. There's more than one way to approach this in the draft that is very viable. Sewell would be a fine pick. So would Chase.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quit looking at the shiny object who you may never be able to pass to
    This is simply hysterical bull****.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (04-21-2021)

Everyone on this part of the board that are Bengals fans need to listen to the latest Cris Collinsworth podcast episode - his interview with Burrow. I have never heard quite as hard a defense and statement of loyalty to ZT as Burrow gave there. Caught Collinsworth by surprise. Not sure "ZT is on the hot seat" is a legit thing. His bond with Burrow seems pretty legit.

Also, Burrow is REALLY far along in the rehab process. He confirmed he's now making throws dropping back and simulating play action etc. Said only thing he isn't doing yet is throwing off of roll outs. Collinsworth was caught off guard on this point as well.

It's a great listen.

8. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-21-2021)

Give just about any NFL caliber QB 5 seconds in the pocket, and he'll be able to find even mediocre WRs. It's just too difficult to cover receivers for that long. Brady has made a GOAT career of it. At 5 seconds, even a dump off to the RB is an all but guaranteed 5 yards.

Don't get me wrong. At #5, for me, Chase is on the case. (yes that's a Paw Patrol reference, all you parents out there).

But I also agree with the sentiment that if a great to elite oline can somehow be drafted and properly coached... you wouldn't even need an elite WR. Just a few decent ones would do. Burrow, under those circumstances, can make them elite with all the time in the pocket to dissect defenses.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Tom Brady's receiving corp last year was filthy. Evans, Godwin, Gronkowski and Scotty Miller. And then Brady decided even THAT wasn't enough and made the team go out and get Antonio Brown. And he's the likely GOAT at qb.

This team currently has two former 1st round picks at T. I get that we want more at o-line. I do too. But that does not NEED to be at 38. it can be. But it does not NEED to be. They can look at Chase and Sewell and decide who they feel is BPA and who fits them better. Especially given that they can address the RG need at 38 and/or 69.

Tom Brady's receiving corp last year was filthy. Evans, Godwin, Gronkowski and Scotty Miller. And then Brady decided even THAT wasn't enough and made the team go out and get Antonio Brown. And he's the likely GOAT at qb.

This team currently has two former 1st round picks at T. I get that we want more at o-line. I do too. But that does not NEED to be at 38. it can be. But it does not NEED to be. They can look at Chase and Sewell and decide who they feel is BPA and who fits them better. Especially given that they can address the RG need at 38 and/or 69.
    Agreed, but you can't just look at last year for Brady. He's such a legend that he can assemble video game teams at this point, on reputation alone.

You have to look at his entire body of work, when he did and didn't have great offensive lines. And not just him. Look at any great pocket passer who played long enough to have a lines ranging from great to terrible. Locally, Carson Palmer comes to mind.

It's all water under the bridge anyway I suppose. Chase is a no-brainer pick at this point unless they trade down. I think the underlying sentiment though, is if you draft a bunch of skill players on offense and ignore the trenches, it's not a recipe for success.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Agreed, but you can't just look at last year for Brady. He's such a legend that he can assemble video game teams at this point, on reputation alone.

You have to look at his entire body of work, when he did and didn't have great offensive lines. And not just him. Look at any great pocket passer who played long enough to have a lines ranging from great to terrible. Locally, Carson Palmer comes to mind.

It's all water under the bridge anyway I suppose. Chase is a no-brainer pick at this point unless they trade down. I think the underlying sentiment though, is if you draft a bunch of skill players on offense and ignore the trenches, it's not a recipe for success.
    His greatest years came when he had Randy Moss. When Gronkowski was ascendant. Even the GOATs need weapons.

Everyone on this part of the board that are Bengals fans need to listen to the latest Cris Collinsworth podcast episode - his interview with Burrow. I have never heard quite as hard a defense and statement of loyalty to ZT as Burrow gave there. Caught Collinsworth by surprise. Not sure "ZT is on the hot seat" is a legit thing. His bond with Burrow seems pretty legit.

Also, Burrow is REALLY far along in the rehab process. He confirmed he's now making throws dropping back and simulating play action etc. Said only thing he isn't doing yet is throwing off of roll outs. Collinsworth was caught off guard on this point as well.

It's a great listen.
    Here's the link, for those interested:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...n/id1533558695

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-21-2021)

Evans was a 1st rounder, Godwin a 3rd rounder, Miller a 6th rounder, and Gronk a special case who was a 2nd rounder.

There is value up and down a draft for WR's, and in Tampa's case, Brady makes them all better. I would argue that KC lost the game because TB got after Mahomes due to a weakened line.

The crazy thing about WR's, is a year or so after the draft there are always guys who end up being "Pro Bowl Caliber" players who come out of nowhere or later in the draft.

AJ was a great pick (one I was against at the time) and an all time Bengal great. But the Bengals have had a good history of finding WR's late in the draft and turning them into impact players.

And also a great history of 1st round WRs. Isaac Curtis. AJ Green. Eddie Brown. It works both ways.

This is simply hysterical bull****.
    Yes I’m the Karen of Bengals fandom.

Have you been watching this team since 1991 and read Mike Brown’s view on how a football team needs to be built.

He never values G or C. Just plug in and play. Average is more than ok. If that.

If Brown grip has been loosened hopefully it will change. Not signing the multitude of affordable G or the C that just signed with KC. Or Nick Martin from HOU. Just for depth says no. If they had then I would not worry about waiting until the 2nd round and then hope another in the 3rd. After a run of OL heading into the 2nd I can see the Bengals going DE in the 3rd unless they are signing Kerrigan after all. I can also see them taking a chance on the Alabama OL with the Medicaid. They like taking chances on those like they have before. Since the draft is their FA they cannot mess around with projects or medical issues or problem children.

I wish they would have traded down to try and get 2 OL in the 1st. If that was available. They could go WR and DE after that. Even another LB.

Collinsworth is shocked that anyone would like to be a Bengal. He loves the Steelers.

And also a great history of 1st round WRs. Isaac Curtis. AJ Green. Eddie Brown. It works both ways.
    I mean...... Curtis and Brown were drafted before I was born.

Sure it works both ways, I could list Munoz, Willie, and Levi as solid OL drafted in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I mean...... Curtis and Brown were drafted before I was born.

Sure it works both ways, I could list Munoz, Willie, and Levi as solid OL drafted in the first round.
    Of course. But that's why claiming that one approach is the for sure right approach is so off base. They both can work. Chase is equally as viable a draft option as Sewell.

Also, I am old(er) so...I saw both Curtis and Brown play. And, of course, AJ Green. I know what transcendent receivers can mean to a team. Is Chase transcendent? A lot of signs point to yes, potentially. So picking him is not crazy, if that's the route they take.

Turn Off Ads?