Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    And also a great history of 1st round WRs. Isaac Curtis. AJ Green. Eddie Brown. It works both ways.
    Yes and it was for a way bigger need than it is now.

1973 the Bengals had Chip Myers and Speedy Thomas as WR. And Speedy was losing his speed because of injuries. At a time when you ran the ball 75% of the time and carried 5-6 RB to get an outlier like Curtis who was Bob Hayes like was big. The OL was already set with Bob Jonson. Vernon Holland. Rufus Mayes. Pat Matson. Stan Walters who was very good but then after he was traded to Philly before 1976 became All Pro there in the late 70s. Their OL was a top 10 line.

1985 they had an even better line with Munoz. Montoya. Wilson at RT. They had drafted Kozerski and Reimers the year before. They had Remington at C who I did not value as much but he was good from 1983-86 but fell off badly by 1987.
    They had a Big need at WR. Curtis had retired and was a non factor in 1984. Kreider and Mike Martin were good 3-4 guys and Verser had already been a bust.

What I remember about that was watching the East-West shrine game in 1984. Seeing Rice catch passes after separation from CB and looking very good. Never heard of him. Eddie Brown was the bigger name. I knew either one would have been great to draft. Bill Walsh did too and he traded up to get him that year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Again, this team has two first round picks at its T slots right now. Depending on the health of Hopkins, a 1st round pick at C if Price starts (and he was quite good under Pollack there in his rookie year).

You will have to miss me with this gaping need at T on this team.

Sewell maybe should be the pick if they determine he is BPA on their board, but not based on OMGBURROWGONNADIE. Just, stop.

As for a "way bigger need then than now", miss me with that too. It is literally false. We, again, as I have said a million times on here, are a base "11" offense. We start three wides. We currently have...two WRs for those three spots. There were 104 targets last year to AJ Green that will need to be replaced. Green was terrible and caught just 47 of them. WR is a massive need that cannot and should not be filled with Auden Tate or Mike Thomas. That's a terrible plan.

So, yes, WR is a massive immediate need on this team. If not Chase at 5 they will need to hit it with an OUTSIDE wr (not a slot, which this draft has a lot of) at 38.

The two holes on this team as it enters the summer are WR and RG. Those spots will be hit at 5 and 38 in some order. The question is, what order. But don't make the case for Sewell by acting like we are good at WR when we are not. We were in 3 wides literally 88% of the time last year. Most in the NFL.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-21-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Again, this team has two first round picks at its T slots right now. Depending on the health of Hopkins, a 1st round pick at C if Price starts (and he was quite good under Pollack there in his rookie year).

Sewell maybe should be the pick if they determine he is BPA on their board, but not based on OMGBURROWGONNADIE. Just, stop.
    Who the heck said Burrow gonna die? He gonna get possibly hurt again sure especially with Taylor game planning to not help protect his QB better.

They still need Guards. Sure get one or 2 in the 2nd because I think in the 3rd they go DE. But depth is an issue big time. And since football injuries is an oxymoron as in they are always hurt. You need better depth than Michael Jordan. And who are the starters really at G. That guy from Dallas? Barely average. Spain is ok.

I like Pollack fine but he’s not McNally or Joe Bugel.

Carson Palmer got hurt behind a top 5 line. **** happens. You can't ever be certain of that. Sewell doesn't keep him safe either necessarily. No guarantees. Maybe a WR who gets open quicker protects Joe better. He hasn't had that here.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-21-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (04-21-2021)

Yes that’s true. Carson got hurt by some bad luck to go along with Steinback’s inept blocking method of putting Kimo down and then not keeping him down and just let him go. Maybe he didn’t expect him to crawl like a snake to a set Palmer and grab his leg. I get that it’s no guarantee. My point had been going in all in us with FA too. A Guard and C could have been signed that were better than what they have. To start. Not for depth. Then you draft another T and G for depth at worst this year. If they are better then they start and the FA is depth. That’s going all in to me. You have been around long enough to know Brown thinks a great QB is all you need. The OL can be average. That’s BS.

As for a "way bigger need then than now", miss me with that too. It is literally false. We, again, as I have said a million times on here, are a base "11" offense. We start three wides. We currently have...two WRs for those three spots. There were 104 targets last year to AJ Green that will need to be replaced. Green was terrible and caught just 47 of them. WR is a massive need that cannot and should not be filled with Auden Tate or Mike Thomas. That's a terrible plan.

So, yes, WR is a massive immediate need on this team. If not Chase at 5 they will need to hit it with an OUTSIDE wr (not a slot, which this draft has a lot of) at 38.

The two holes on this team as it enters the summer are WR and RG. Those spots will be hit at 5 and 38 in some order. The question is, what order. But don't make the case for Sewell by acting like we are good at WR when we are not. We were in 3 wides literally 88% of the time last year. Most in the NFL.
    They have a stopgap T for next season. Williams is still somewhat of a question mark at one T spot. The future of the line needs to be addressed in this draft.

The idea that Billy Price is going to do anything is laughable at this point. I thought he would have been a better G than C, but reality is, he is backup fodder at this point.

You know who would be an awesome WR on this team, the 2nd round pick of Michael Thomas! WR's drafted in later rounds have a much higher success rate than lineman. Linemen drafted in the later rounds are often "developmental" WR's can make a far quicker impact.

The Bengals will draft Chase, because Brown likes his sports cars even though his foundation is crumbling. Chase will be good, Sewell will be a perennial all pro. Oh well, that is the story of being a Bengals fan.

Unless Chase is a perennial all-pro and Sewell will be good.

Unless Chase is a perennial all-pro and Sewell will be good.
    Yep, I would take Sewell in this situation as well. Lock up the QB and LT spot for a decade and then figure everything else out.

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-21-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-21-2021)

Can we talk about how horrible they have been at drafting/developing LB. A lot worse than anything in the OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Can we talk about how horrible they have been at drafting/developing LB. A lot worse than anything in the OL.
    They are indeed not good at it. Thank god the NFL as a whole has made that position less valuable.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, on the protect Burrow or his knees will die crowd, please watch this video. There are no guarantees w/ any pick on line that make Burrow 100% safe.

https://twitter.com/CJAnthonyCUI/sta...629270533?s=20

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think the one thing that’s missing on the new ones that makes them a little too plain is that the shoulders could use a contrasting color, the way they’re black on the old color rush uniforms. That’s one small tweak I’d make but otherwise they’re good.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Also this has been described as one of the thinnest drafts in NFL history, I think it would be an absolutely bonkers nutcase move to not draft the LT at 5 just months removed from Burrow’s leg getting exploded.

I’m not gambling the future health of my young generational talent QB on bringing able to find a later round OL in “the thinnest draft in NFL history.” The Bengals are stupid enough that’s probably what they will do.

His greatest years came when he had Randy Moss. When Gronkowski was ascendant. Even the GOATs need weapons.
    Tom Brady made a backup QB from Kent State one of the best WRs in the NFL.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Also this has been described as one of the thinnest drafts in NFL history, I think it would be an absolutely bonkers nutcase move to not draft the LT at 5 just months removed from Burrow’s leg getting exploded.

I’m not gambling the future health of my young generational talent QB on bringing able to find a later round OL in “the thinnest draft in NFL history.” The Bengals are stupid enough that’s probably what they will do.
    Follow the link I posted to Sewell getting Herbert's knee caved in or nah? There's no guarantees.

I personally would select Sewell, but I’ve come around to not thinking it would be crazy to take Chase.

With that said: I don’t really get the argument Burrow wanting chase is a great thing/factor. It’s his buddy, of course he wants him to get drafted that high and by his team. This is professional football, not a sandlot game. I would hope the bengals would not actually take that into consideration.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-21-2021)

Turn Off Ads?