Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Were the Bengals last in explosive plays because their line couldn't protect?

They had one of the fastest WR's in the game and it didn't matter.

We are going round and round here. Basically the way I look at it: I want Sewell, I am ok, but not thrilled with Chase, I am pissed if its Pitts.
    Are you talking about John Ross for this? Because...you should not be citing him. He never played. he was hurt yet again.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-09-2021),RiverRat13 (04-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Apparently Jerry Jones really likes Pitts. The Cowboys pick 10th. So, I'd love to see the Cowboys and Bengals swap 1st round picks. The Bengals could add some extra picks while still having a top 10 pick in the 1st round. Granted, it's the Bengals but I can dream.
    Counter-point, you should not pass up true difference makers if you can get one. Tobin has already said trading too far back is unlikely because of chance they will miss on a premium prospect that they are currently well positioned to get. So, if you figure that the non-qb premium prospects are (in no particular order) Pitts, Chase, Sewell - then trading back to 10 means very potentially missing on those three. Which they said they will not do.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-09-2021)

NFL.com player grades - https://www.nfl.com/prospects/

7. Likes:

redsfandan (04-09-2021)

John Ross was inactive the vast majority of the season (mostly due to coaches' decision but was also injured for a few games), so I don't think it's accurate to point out their lack of explosive plays with him on the field because he was hardly on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Are you talking about John Ross for this? Because...you should not be citing him. He never played. he was hurt yet again.
    Ross went on IR the 9th week of the season. He was on the on the roster for 8 of Joe Burrow's 10 starts.

I don't buy the idea they need "speed" on the outside, because they had speed, he just stunk. They need a good WR, and they probably are best served not drafting a slot, but still think you can find WR tallent all through the draft. Its much easier to find a late round WR gem than it is an OL.

Ross went on IR the 9th week of the season. He was on the on the roster for 8 of Joe Burrow's 10 starts.

I don't buy the idea they need "speed" on the outside, because they had speed, he just stunk. They need a good WR, and they probably are best served not drafting a slot, but still think you can find WR tallent all through the draft. Its much easier to find a late round WR gem than it is an OL.
    He was phased out of the offense almost completely after week 2. He played all of three games in 2020 with one start. If their top four WRs are Higgins, Boyd, Tate and Thomas, that's probably the least athletic top four WR group in the league. That matters, just as protection matters.

11. Likes:

membengal (04-09-2021),RiverRat13 (04-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Counter-point, you should not pass up true difference makers if you can get one. Tobin has already said trading too far back is unlikely because of chance they will miss on a premium prospect that they are currently well positioned to get. So, if you figure that the non-qb premium prospects are (in no particular order) Pitts, Chase, Sewell - then trading back to 10 means very potentially missing on those three. Which they said they will not do.
    I wouldn't want them to trade down too far either. But, we're only talking 5 spots. Sure, it would probably mean they'd miss out on Chase (with Pitts taken by the Cowboys). They could also come out ahead with whoever falls to them and the extra picks. The Bengals might not have any interest in trading down to picking 10th. If the Cowboys could make it interesting than why not at least consider it. Because the only "difference makers" will be already gone after only 9 picks?

I wouldn't want them to trade down too far either. But, we're only talking 5 spots. Sure, it would probably mean they'd miss out on Chase (with Pitts taken by the Cowboys). They could also come out ahead with whoever falls to them and the extra picks. The Bengals might not have any interest in trading down to picking 10th. If the Cowboys could make it interesting than why not at least consider it. Because the only "difference makers" will be already gone after only 9 picks?
    In this draft, I think there's a pretty big difference in the quality of player you can get at 5 (with three to four QBs going ahead of your pick) than 10. Picking at 10 almost assuredly leaves you without Chase or Pitts and quite possibly Sewell, and that's not worth the second round pick or whatever the compensation would be, IMO.

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-09-2021)

Chase or trade those are the options at 5, Sewell will be a bust in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    In this draft, I think there's a pretty big difference in the quality of player you can get at 5 (with three to four QBs going ahead of your pick) than 10. Picking at 10 almost assuredly leaves you without Chase or Pitts and quite possibly Sewell, and that's not worth the second round pick or whatever the compensation would be, IMO.
    Maybe either Sewell or Slater is still available at 10. It's actually possible that the Bengals could address their BIGGEST need with the BEST offensive lineman in the draft at 10. I think it's odd that anyone wouldn't even listen to what the Cowboys might offer.

I keep thinking, what would the Steelers or Ravens do if they were in this situation. They aren't taking Chase or Pitts here, they are taking someone they will plug in at T and maul for the next decade.

I also think you have to take into consideration the type of QB you have. Some have gotten by overlooking the OL because the QB had the ability to get the ball out quick. Herbert had a better season with a worse OLine than Burrow did. Maybe Burrow isn't the type of guy who is going to get the ball out quick. Protecting him may be the most important thing.

At the end of the day, the Bengals must answer the question "how are we going to protect Burrow moving forward" This draft you have the chance to get your #1 ranked T, you likely won't have that option in the future, if things go as planned.

If the Bengals will have the least athletic WR corp without Chase, why in the world did they draft Higgins last season? But I digress.

I keep thinking, what would the Steelers or Ravens do if they were in this situation. They aren't taking Chase or Pitts here, they are taking someone they will plug in at T and maul for the next decade.

I also think you have to take into consideration the type of QB you have. Some have gotten by overlooking the OL because the QB had the ability to get the ball out quick. Herbert had a better season with a worse OLine than Burrow did. Maybe Burrow isn't the type of guy who is going to get the ball out quick. Protecting him may be the most important thing.

At the end of the day, the Bengals must answer the question "how are we going to protect Burrow moving forward" This draft you have the chance to get your #1 ranked T, you likely won't have that option in the future, if things go as planned.

If the Bengals will have the least athletic WR corp without Chase, why in the world did they draft Higgins last season? But I digress.
    The difference is the Ravens can develop OL. They can take Pitts and Chase and not worry about someone dropping to them in the 2R on the OL because they know they'll still be good. We can't count on that.

Maybe either Sewell or Slater is still available at 10. It's actually possible that the Bengals could address their BIGGEST need with the BEST offensive lineman in the draft at 10. I think it's odd that anyone wouldn't even listen to what the Cowboys might offer.
    I don't think anyone, including myself, said they wouldn't or shouldn't listen. I just don't think the likely compensation would be worth the drop in quality of player. If you're banking on Sewell and/or Slater being there, you're at risk of a team trading in front of you to take your pick (Ragnow and possibly Bush, though I think the Bengals were taking Jonah either way). The return I think is realistic isn't worth the tradeoff in my opinion, but you certainly listen to all offers.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2...e-higgins-ras/

I don't think RAS is any sort of end all, be all, but it does match my eyes in that I don't think Higgins is a great athlete relative to his position. They took him because he's still a really good player (a pick I was in favor of that I believe you weren't, for context), so I'm not implying you have to be a great athlete to be a good player. However, you can only throw out so many slow or slowish receivers and still succeed when the defense isn't going to respect your ability to take the top off. Again, I'm not fully on board Team Chase because the Bengals didn't do enough to improve the offensive line this offseason, especially long-term, which I suspect you agree with, but not having a legitimate deep threat / ability to hit on explosive plays was one of multiple issues with the offense last season. The protection was certainly another.

21. Likes:

membengal (04-09-2021)

I'd listen to Denver or New England wanting to trade up for a QB. They would potentially give an offer the Bengals couldn't refuse. I don't think anyone else would do so.

Pittsburgh never picks in the top 5, so it is tough to know what they'd do. But they've only taken 3 offensive linemen in the first since 2000. They picked in top 10 twice during that time. They took a WR (Plaxico Burress at 8) and a LB (Devin Bush at 10).

The Ravens went with Ronnie Stanley a few years ago at 6. They've also only taken 3 offensive lineman in the first since 2000. The Bengals have taken 5 offensive lineman in the first in that time.

Turn Off Ads?