Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    https://relativeathleticscores.com/2...e-higgins-ras/

I don't think RAS is any sort of end all, be all, but it does match my eyes in that I don't think Higgins is a great athlete relative to his position. They took him because he's still a really good player (a pick I was in favor of that I believe you weren't, for context), so I'm not implying you have to be a great athlete to be a good player. However, you can only throw out so many slow or slowish receivers and still succeed when the defense isn't going to respect your ability to take the top off. Again, I'm not fully on board Team Chase because the Bengals didn't do enough to improve the offensive line this offseason, especially long-term, which I suspect you agree with, but not having a legitimate deep threat / ability to hit on explosive plays was one of multiple issues with the offense last season. The protection was certainly another.
    I was not high on Higgins the pick, and still think it was the wrong pick.

The order of need for the Bengals should have been:
    1. Draft Burrow
    2. Protect Burrow
    3. Get him weapons
    4. Improve the defense.

Well the succeeded on 1, 3,4 but failed miserably on 2. The notion that they picked Burrow #1 and didn't make another move to protect him surprises me. I can see this play out:

1. Chase
    2. DE - Well, the lineman we wanted went right before our pick and DE was the highest rated player on our board.
    3. LB - Again, the lineman we targeted was picked and said LB was the highest rated player on our board.
    4. WR - We had said WR ranked as a 2nd rounder.
    5. RB - We needed to replace Bernard
    6. OT - Man are we glad this guy slipped to round 6. We think he can be a starter in the future.
    7. CB - Throw away pick, CB who will be luck to stay on the roster.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Apparently Jerry Jones really likes Pitts. The Cowboys pick 10th. So, I'd love to see the Cowboys and Bengals swap 1st round picks. The Bengals could add some extra picks while still having a top 10 pick in the 1st round. Granted, it's the Bengals but I can dream.
    Jerry Jones isn’t going to give up what it would take for the Bengals to move down for a TE. No one would give up their first and second rounder this year and a first round pick next year for anything other than a franchise QB.

And that’s the return I’d expect for moving down.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-09-2021),membengal (04-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was not high on Higgins the pick, and still think it was the wrong pick.

The order of need for the Bengals should have been:
    1. Draft Burrow
    2. Protect Burrow
    3. Get him weapons
    4. Improve the defense.

Well the succeeded on 1, 3,4 but failed miserably on 2. The notion that they picked Burrow #1 and didn't make another move to protect him surprises me. I can see this play out:

1. Chase
    2. DE - Well, the lineman we wanted went right before our pick and DE was the highest rated player on our board.
    3. LB - Again, the lineman we targeted was picked and said LB was the highest rated player on our board.
    4. WR - We had said WR ranked as a 2nd rounder.
    5. RB - We needed to replace Bernard
    6. OT - Man are we glad this guy slipped to round 6. We think he can be a starter in the future.
    7. CB - Throw away pick, CB who will be luck to stay on the roster.
    We are in agreement that they've failed to protect Burrow. Honestly, their line has been an issue since their last playoff team, as the 2016 line stunk even with Whitworth and Zeitler (thanks Cedric O). They've sunk plenty of resources into the line but through a combination of bad drafting, coaching, trades (Corey Glenn) and injury luck, they have little to show for the draft capital they've spent on the offensive line. Off the top of my head, since 2015, they've drafted three first round offensive linemen (Cedric O, Price and Jonah) along with Fisher in the second. Only Williams looks like a keeper from that group, and he's had major issues staying healthy. At some point, they have to be able to draft and develop offensive linemen, especially outside the first round, because all these wasted picks on first round offensive linemen come at the expense of picking other positions that need an infusion of talent. You can only pick so much of one position without the rest of your roster suffering. Their issue isn't lack of attention to the line (aside from arguably guard) but not picking the right players and coaches.

6. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Jerry Jones isn’t going to give up what it would take for the Bengals to move down for a TE. No one would give up their first and second rounder this year and a first round pick next year for anything other than a franchise QB.

And that’s the return I’d expect for moving down.
    How much is enough for moving down 5 spots is debatable. It also doesn't matter. The Bengals wouldn't do it no matter what was offered. Cuz they're the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    How much is enough for moving down 5 spots is debatable. It also doesn't matter. The Bengals wouldn't do it no matter what was offered. Cuz they're the Bengals.
    They moved back 12 spots in the first round three years ago, and that decision unquestionably came back to bite them.

9. Likes:

membengal (04-09-2021)

They moved down in the Chris Perry draft and the Kevin Zeitler draft too. Those are old examples, but the front office is mostly the same people

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    They moved down in the Chris Perry draft and the Kevin Zeitler draft too. Those are old examples, but the front office is mostly the same people
    Good point. In both cases, they drafted a lower rated player at the same position than was on the board at their original pick and ended up with the worse player of the two (Jackson/Perry and DeCastro/Zeitler).

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Chase or trade those are the options at 5, Sewell will be a bust in the NFL.
    Never place a bet based on this person's opinion about sports, unless he's just trying to be a troll with this post.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Chase might be the next Jerry Rice.

Sewell might be the next Muñoz.

But this draft is deeper with OL than with WR.

I'd rather take a chance on an elite WR and a good LT, than an elite LT and the WR corps we have now.

We can take Chase with 5 and have a pretty good selection of highly graded OL to choose from. Not so with the WR class this year.

I really do think that is what it all comes down to. Membengal has been saying this all along, so props to him. But look at the draft grades. Yes, they should be taken with a grain of salt, but based on the info we have to work with.... it's true. Gotta go Chase here.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Chase might be the next Jerry Rice.

Sewell might be the next Muñoz.

But this draft is deeper with OL than with WR.

I'd rather take a chance on an elite WR and a good LT, than an elite LT and the WR corps we have now.

We can take Chase with 5 and have a pretty good selection of highly graded OL to choose from. Not so with the WR class this year.

I really do think that is what it all comes down to. Membengal has been saying this all along, so props to him. But look at the draft grades. Yes, they should be taken with a grain of salt, but based on the info we have to work with.... it's true. Gotta go Chase here.
    There’s a better possibility that any of the following:

Teven Jenkins
    Alex Leatherwood
    Landon Dickerson
    Dillon Raduntz
    Sam Cosmi
    Allijah Vera-Tucker
    Walker Little
    Jackson Carman

are available in the second round than:

Terrace Marshall
    Dyami Brown
    Rashod Bateman
    Rondale Moore
    Kedarius Toney

It reminds me of when the Bengals were pigeonholed into a WR in the draft that they took WJ III because no other receivers were a first round grade and were damn lucky Tyler Boyd lasted until the second round when they picked.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Anyone fine with this one?

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-10-2021)

We should do a Redszone mock draft this year
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    We should do a Redszone mock draft this year
    Just the Bengals or all 32 teams?

We’ve done it in the past where everyone picks a team and drafts for them. As traffic for the board has died in years past we’ve had problems filling teams.

I’ll probably do a first round mock as it gets closer.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Just the Bengals or all 32 teams?

We’ve done it in the past where everyone picks a team and drafts for them. As traffic for the board has died in years past we’ve had problems filling teams.

I’ll probably do a first round mock as it gets closer.
    The 32 team variety. I’ve taken part in multiple for both MLB and NFL on here. I think I ran an NFL one once. I can do it again if folks are interested. I’ll start the thread.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The 32 team variety. I’ve taken part in multiple for both MLB and NFL on here. I think I ran an NFL one once. I can do it again if folks are interested. I’ll start the thread.

Turn Off Ads?