Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This is who they had the Bengals taking:

5. Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
    38. Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas
    69. Kendrick Green, OL, Illinois
    111. Ade Ogundeji, EDGE, Notre Dame
    149. Elijah Mitchell, RB, Louisiana
    190. Jose Borregales, K, Miami
    202. Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State
    235. Damar Hamlin, S, Pittsburgh
    I noticed it had the Bucs taking the University of Charleston WR in the 7th. He is very interesting....especially if he could maybe be stored on the practice squad for a year or so to work on improving his route running, etc.

251. Buccaneers: Michael Strachan, WR, Charleston
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’m higher on Michael Carter than most. Think he could be had in the third round and would be a perfect compliment to Mixon and a replacement for Gio. It won’t hurt my feelings though if they fill other needs though.
    I like Carter also more than most mocks value him. Some people are surprised to know that he was the leading rusher last year @ UNC....not Javonte Williams.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Every year Arif Hasan (now at The Athletic) compiles a "Consensus Big Board" - which is his survey and average of The Top 300 from 50 industry sharp Big Boards. It is a fairly useful tool to get an idea about the general ranges that players might be available as you move through the draft. If the Bengals take Chase at 5 (or even if they take Sewell at 5 and are looking to double-dip at o-line) here is what the consensus is for o-line in the 30-55 range (Bengals pick at 38 overall in second round):

Here are the o-linemen on on the Consensus Big Board between 30 and 55:

Dickerson 33
    Leatherwood 38
    Cosmi 39
    Humphrey 42
    Radunz 46
    Eichenberg 47
    Mayfield 51
    Davis 55

I am quite confident that we will have some large subset of that group available to sift through at 38 if they go Chase at 5.

Frankly, if they go Sewell at 5, I still may want them to sample from that group.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

For those wondering about WRs on the Consensus Big Board between 30 and 55 if we go Sewell and need to hit WR in round 2:

Marshall -34
    E. Moore - 35
    R. Moore - 36

Outside of that range - Bateman was 28 and K. Toney 29 and Dyami Brown was 62.

My targets for 38 at WR if they take Sewell at 5 remain Bateman or Marshall if they slip to 38 or reach for Brown. The others on here are slot guys for sure (R. Moore) or slot guys who you have to hope can learn the outside (E. Moore and K. Toney).
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-20-2021)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Moore can definitely play outside, although probably stays inside. Tennessee is a popular landing spot for him. If Sewell is the pick, I wouldn't mind them doubling up on O-lineman or BPA in round 2 and waiting till the 3rd to draft a WR. I really like Tylan Wallace.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

If they take Sewell it is Marshall or bust for me at 38 (unless by some miracle Bateman falls there, which he won't). Double dip at OL (or maybe even take a swing at a DL who drops) and pray Dyami is there in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Moore can definitely play outside, although probably stays inside. Tennessee is a popular landing spot for him. If Sewell is the pick, I wouldn't mind them doubling up on O-lineman or BPA in round 2 and waiting till the 3rd to draft a WR. I really like Tylan Wallace.
    I don't know that Elijah Moore can DEFINITELY play outside - he pretty much was slot only at Ole Miss - so there is projection needed there.

As for the draft, the Dolphins really might have played themselves which is hilarious by trading back to 12 and then up to 6 w/ the apparent expectation that the Bengals were definitely going to take Sewell. If Pitts is gone at 4 and Chase at 5, they are apparently interested in trading back out again. Should have just stayed put and taken Chase if that was what they wanted...\

From Matt Miller's notebook today:

4. The Cincinnati Bengals do love Ja’Marr Chase and he could very well be the selection at No. 5 overall. Conventional wisdom points to Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater, but Chase could pull at the heart strings of the franchise (and the franchise quarterback).

5. Two trade out candidates to watch: The Miami Dolphins (No. 6 overall) and Detroit Lions (No. 7 overall). Miami moved back to the sixth selection, I’m told, because they believed the Bengals would select an offensive lineman. That would leave them with one of the top two pass-catchers. If the Falcons select Pitts and the Bengals select Chase, the Dolphins could move out.

The same goes for Detroit; a team with so many needs that every position is on the table which actually sets up well if a quarterback-needy team wants to move up ahead of the Denver Broncos (No. 9 overall).

11. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Every year Arif Hasan (now at The Athletic) compiles a "Consensus Big Board" - which is his survey and average of The Top 300 from 50 industry sharp Big Boards. It is a fairly useful tool to get an idea about the general ranges that players might be available as you move through the draft. If the Bengals take Chase at 5 (or even if they take Sewell at 5 and are looking to double-dip at o-line) here is what the consensus is for o-line in the 30-55 range (Bengals pick at 38 overall in second round):

Here are the o-linemen on on the Consensus Big Board between 30 and 55:

Dickerson 33
    Leatherwood 38
    Cosmi 39
    Humphrey 42
    Radunz 46
    Eichenberg 47
    Mayfield 51
    Davis 55

I am quite confident that we will have some large subset of that group available to sift through at 38 if they go Chase at 5.

Frankly, if they go Sewell at 5, I still may want them to sample from that group.
    That reinforces taking Chase (or Pitts) at 5.

This draft is top heavy at WR and deep on OL in the middle of the second round. If they take Sewell they could double dip at OL but it pushes WR down the board and they could get jumped for any good WR as early as the second round.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-21-2021),texasdave (04-20-2021)

Go ahead and keep drafting skill players with no guarantees of it leading to consistent winning. For once it would be great to see them go all in on OL and dominate other teams instead of not being able to finish teams off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Go ahead and keep drafting skill players with no guarantees of it leading to consistent winning. For once it would be great to see them go all in on OL and dominate other teams instead of not being able to finish teams off.
    Like w/ Ogbuihi and Fisher. And then Price. When they went all in on first round o-line picks and the Super Bowls came rolling in...

- - - Updated - - -

This update from Burrow is simply fantastic news...

Joe Burrow “very optimistic” about playing Week 1
    Posted by Charean Williams on April 20, 2021, 10:18 PM EDT

Joe Burrow underwent reconstructive knee surgery Dec. 2, leaving only nine months before the 2021 season opener. It left doubt about whether he would miss the beginning of his second season.

The Bengals quarterback has no doubt.

“I’m very optimistic about where I’m at and also where the team is at,” Burrow told Cris Collinsworth on a 30-minute Pro Football Focus podcast. “Rehab is going very, very well and lifting is going very, very well. I’m in great shape. Legs feel good; knee feels good. There’s still a long way to go, but I’m expecting to be there on the first snap of 2021.

“I’m expecting to play Game 1. I expect to take part in practice. I’m feeling really good. I’m ahead of schedule.”

Burrow said he began dropping back and throwing more than a week ago. He also is simulating play-action passes to stationary equipment managers.

“I can’t roll out and throw yet,” Burrow said, but “it’s feeling good right now.”

Burrow, the No. 1 overall choice in 2020, threw for 2,688 yards with 13 touchdowns and five interceptions in 10 games as a rookie.

17. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-21-2021)

You know very well that both those OL picks were Alexander Hines Ketchup specials. The guy was more miss than hit with the OL drafting and development. Since Brown expects the coaches to scout then develop and coach. Alexander was barely good at either.

Have no answer for Price other than injuries and 2 years of Turner.

So your broad strokes statement needed qualifiers then?

They hit line in first round in 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018, and 2019. Hard to claim they somehow are over-doing it on “drafting skill players” as an attack based in fact.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-21-2021 at 12:39 AM.

Turn Off Ads?