Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Closer

Closer

This is not meant to a negative thread about Amir Garrett. I think he is a very valuable reliever.

My question: why was he handed the closer role over Sims?

I truthfully do not understand why, as I think Sims is better and has more of a closer mentality. I understand Amir yells and struts around the mound but he also often looks rattled out there to me and he doesn’t seem to attack the zone. Sims looks like he has ice water running through his veins out there and attacks the zone.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Closer

If Amir has another couple shaky outings I’d swap him and Doolittle. I think he just might be rusty from not getting a lot of use early.

4. Likes:

mth123 (04-08-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Amir has always looked shaky out there fairly often IMO too. He’s got good stuff, although I was surprised to hear during last night’s game that he has a lower spin rate.

I definitely don’t think he’s a high leverage guy. He’s got high leverage stuff, but he doesn’t have high leverage command. He walks way too many dudes and lets too many pitches get away from him that end up super hittable.

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-07-2021)

I would go by a closer by committee anyway. I think AG, Sims and Doolittle could be the next nasty boys. I’ve never liked the idea of one closer who gets all the saves. It’s really goes against all logic and the data. Go with the best pitcher in each instance.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

GAC (04-12-2021),goreds2 (04-07-2021),Ron Madden (04-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    To be fair, I don't know that he was. Hasn't Bell continued to say that he's keeping his options open, basically a closer-by-committee in so many words?

I've long been a bit Garrett skeptical. He's got that wipeout slider and is capable of phenomenal stretches, but he still hasn't taken that next step forward in terms of his peripherals over the course of a full season. The arrow straight fastball seems to be a part of that. I think he's more a 7th inning guy than closer.

I think Sims and Antone might be the two best relievers in the pen, and Doolittle has regained velocity and has a ton of 9th inning experience. If I'm Bell I'm mixing and matching all these guys.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-07-2021),goreds2 (04-07-2021),Griffey012 (04-07-2021),ochoa30 (04-07-2021),Patrick Bateman (04-08-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-07-2021),Ron Madden (04-07-2021)

Another vote here for closer by committee.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (04-07-2021),Ron Madden (04-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would go by a closer by committee anyway. I think AG, Sims and Doolittle could be the next nasty boys. I’ve never liked the idea of one closer who gets all the saves. It’s really goes against all logic and the data. Go with the best pitcher in each instance.
    You spelled Cionel Perez wrong. SSS and all. But he’s looked filthy. If he and Antone don’t end up starting, I think they have better pure stuff than the guys you listed for the end of the game

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I would be down with the closer by committee, but at this point AG wouldn’t even be part of that committee. He’s a 7th inning guy right now, I’m not sure if he’s even one of the top 3 guys in the pen right now.

15. Likes:

KeefeCato (04-07-2021),Old school 1983 (04-07-2021),Sea Ray (04-07-2021)

Closer by committee is best approach. Dusty Baker's head just exploded.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (04-07-2021),Old school 1983 (04-07-2021)

The Reds have 13 pitchers on the roster.

Castillo + Garrett have given up a total of 15 runs in 12.1 innings.
    The other eleven pitchers have combined to surrender 11 runs in 35.8 innings.

Take away Castillo's game one event and we have one pitcher surrendering 5 runs in 2 innings and 12 pitchers combined surrendering 11 runs in 32.7 innings.

AG has been the extreme anomaly on this staff.

I don't think he will have along leash as either a closer or a set-up man when so many others are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is not meant to a negative thread about Amir Garrett. I think he is a very valuable reliever.

I truthfully do not understand why, as I think Sims is better and has more of a closer mentality. I understand Amir yells and struts around the mound but he also often looks rattled out there to me and he doesn’t seem to attack the zone. Sims looks like he has ice water running through his veins out there and attacks the zone.
    Save for the last game he struck everyone out in Spring Training. I'm not sure how you could do better than that.

I know he's had some problems in the past with control. Sometimes he's been solid, other times he's been shaky. It makes you wary of his actual ability to close a game.

That said, sometimes closers aren't that great when the game isn't on the line. Monday he had a 3 run lead. It's a save situation but with no one on, it's not exactly the most pressure-packed situation. Today he had an 11 run lead. It's disconcerting but he may have been working on some things.

I know the conventional wisdom these days says that being a closer isn't that tough when you get into a game with no one on and a 3 run lead. But when you haven't ever closed before now you're the last line of defense. If you blow it, you're probably losing the game. Setup guys and LOOGYs have that problem but on a lesser level since there's always another opportunity for the offense to score and for the closer to nail down the save. Maybe AG - for all his bluster and bravado - doesn't have that mentality. Personally, I think he can do it. I like his swagger. Confidence is an important part of being a closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Cpunt on AG!

Just a hunch, 11-0 game I bet Amir was working on stuff until the grand slam. DJ came out and said alright let’s scrap it and do what you do best and he then quickly shut the door.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (04-07-2021),Old school 1983 (04-07-2021)

It was certainly two seemingly different pitchers in the same inning. As easily as he gave up those four runs, he looked equally dominant to end the game. It was weird.

I don't think he was so much handed the closers job as it was just assumed it was his due to seniority.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?