Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Closer

Re: Closer

I just can’t see him being the closer long term.

I love the guy- his swagger, attitude, all that. But his fastball is pretty straight and he does end up walking guys a little too much and has a penchant for giving up home runs.

I think it was kaldaniels who once said about Amir - “He’s a little too much sizzle, not enough steak.”
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (04-12-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I just can’t see him being the closer long term.

I love the guy- his swagger, attitude, all that. But his fastball is pretty straight and he does end up walking guys a little too much and has a penchant for giving up home runs.

I think it was kaldaniels who once said about Amir - “He’s a little too much sizzle, not enough steak.”
    That was me! And I about said it today but held back as I didn’t want the thought to be played out.

Fan of him personally. Just don’t see him as an everyday closer though.

5. Likes:

The Operator (04-07-2021),Tom Servo (04-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    That was me! And I about said it today but held back as I didn’t want the thought to be played out.

Fan of him personally. Just don’t see him as an everyday closer though.
    I thought that was you!

I’m right there with you - big fan and I love the swagger. I just don’t see him as the best option for the ninth inning, at least not as the primary guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I think Amir is a solid reliever but he's not a guy I put total trust in. Too up and down for my taste. I think he gets too much love for tough talk and being a former college basketball player. He's a solid second lefty out of the pen who can pitch in the 7th or 8th inning (or earlier if the situation is critical). Not sure he's the right guy to be the man.

I'm still hoping Doolittle takes the job. If he's throwing 95, this might be the lightning in a bottle year where he rediscovers his old success. It would certainly free Antone, Sims, Bedrosian and Garrett to hold leads until the 9th. Cionel Perez and to a lessrr extent, Carson Fulmer are wildcards who might end up being better than all of them. Just so many questions. At least the first week, they've mostly done well.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-08-2021 at 09:22 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

It's finally catching momentum in this league - you don't "need" a closer unless you're lucky enough to have 1 of the 5, maybe 6 truly elite bullpen arms in the game.

Look around the league. I haven't seen this many "closer by committee" arrangements..maybe ever.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Double post, see below.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-09-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Amir Garrett splits for OPS against him.

Career RHH .850 (581 PAs); LHH .704 (332 PAs).

2020 RHH . 807 (41 PAs); LHH .258 (28 PAs).

2019 RHH .740 (132 PAs); LHH .640 (114 PAs).

Splits were much closer in 2017 and in 2018. 2021 just beginning, RHH having early success.

Note that in 2017 Garrett faced 257 RHH at a .933 OPS against. That undoubtedly increased the R/L split since he only faced 64 LHH (.954 OPS) that season. He started 14 games that year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-09-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Look around the league. I haven't seen this many "closer by committee" arrangements..maybe ever.
    Yep, it's just about reached the point where it doesn't make sense to use Saves in 5x5 roto leagues...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Yep, it's just about reached the point where it doesn't make sense to use Saves in 5x5 roto leagues...
    Seriously- it is. Who is a “sure shot” for saves? Hendricks? 7.71 ERA. Chapman? Borderline. Hader? Fantastic, but they’re using him as a swiss army knife. Kenley Jansen may have already given way to Kluber. Edwin Diaz is flammable.

I’m going to try to replace the saves category in my league next year with something else. Holds?

I've had one heart attack, so to avoid another I turn off the broadcast when Garrett comes in. Then I turn on some easy-listening music,
    set a timer to 10 minutes, and close my eyes. When the timer dings, I turn the game back on and hope for the best. It works for me.

14. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (04-10-2021),wally post (04-12-2021)

Seriously- it is. Who is a “sure shot” for saves? Hendricks? 7.71 ERA. Chapman? Borderline. Hader? Fantastic, but they’re using him as a swiss army knife. Kenley Jansen may have already given way to Kluber. Edwin Diaz is flammable.

I’m going to try to replace the saves category in my league next year with something else. Holds?
    pressly from houston. and you know dusty will use him as a traditional closer.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    pressly from houston. and you know dusty will use him as a traditional closer.
    He will, of course...and I would love to have Pressly.

It’s not worth a message board donnybrook, and I hate arguing just for the sake of doing it. I don’t quite see Pressly as a “dominant” arm/closer, but the separation isn’t big enough to kick up a fuss.

He will, of course...and I would love to have Pressly.

It’s not worth a message board donnybrook, and I hate arguing just for the sake of doing it. I don’t quite see Pressly as a “dominant” arm/closer, but the separation isn’t big enough to kick up a fuss.
    i agree with your overall assessment. it's tough out there finding saves in fantasy. and pressly is by no means dominant. but i do think he's one of the few guys you can count on for 30ish saves this year.

My league discussed converting to Saves + Holds since that still rewards relievers who protect leads but doesn’t care what inning the pitcher enters...

19. Likes:

wally post (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    My league discussed converting to Saves + Holds since that still rewards relievers who protect leads but doesn’t care what inning the pitcher enters...
    You mean both in one category? Both count the same?

That’s not bad..

Turn Off Ads?