Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds for real?

Are the Reds for real?

They're off to a 5-1 start. They've outscored the opposition 57-26. This has been a blast. And apparently their preseason record meant squat.

Obviously they'll start scoring less than 10 runs a game at some point, you've got to figure. Yet it looks like they can hit and pitch. Last I looked, that makes for winning baseball. Anyone re-thinking what this club is or what it can be this season?

To be fair, it's a little early. Makes sense to see where they're at after Memorial Day. Yet a start like this kind of demands we dream on what could be.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (04-08-2021),goreds2 (04-07-2021),JarrodOnVinyl (04-08-2021),JFLegal (04-07-2021),RedsFanInMS (04-07-2021),Ron Madden (04-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are the Reds for real?

Their baseball pythag has them on a pace to win 134 games.

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-07-2021),malcontent (04-07-2021),paintmered (04-08-2021),Red Raindog (04-08-2021),RedsFanInMS (04-07-2021),savafan (04-08-2021),TRF (04-07-2021),wolfboy (04-07-2021)

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

It's early, but the reason I'm optimistic that this start can continue is mainly due to the quality at-bats being taken so far. They're getting a bit lucky with regards to the amount of singles that are dribbling through the infield, sure, but overall they're taking a LOT of pitches and just really putting together patient at-bats throughout the entire lineup. They're rocketing up starter pitch counts, which only helps over the course of a series.

I certainly don't think the pitching will be this good, but if they can keep their hitting philosophy rolling as a team, they could continue to stick in games where the pitching falters. India hasn't walked yet, but he's shown a history of it and his at-bats are still very patient. Senzel, Stephenson, India - these guys all have been lauded for plate discipline in the past, and I think that really bodes well for team offense in the future.

They're not 57 runs every 6 games good (nobody is), but I don't think the offense is a fluke even though it's been a small sample.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-07-2021),goreds2 (04-07-2021),Sea Ray (04-07-2021)

Too soon.

Next step: let’s see how they do on the road.

9. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (04-08-2021),Falls City Beer (04-07-2021),REDREAD (04-10-2021),shrews824 (04-08-2021)

The rubber will meet the road when we step outside the Central and NL in my opinion.

Can’t be anything but thrilled with this start, but lets see how we fare against Atl, LA, SD.

I think the Reds have plenty to compete in the division, but they can’t go 2-10 against the AL like they have in so many years. That must improve IMO.

11. Likes:

KYExtemper (04-07-2021),shrews824 (04-08-2021)

Like others have said, let's see what happens when they go outside the division. I think the fact that they've pitched this well without having Gray or Lorenzen, and with Garrett being not so good, is really encouraging.

It’s just nice to see a good start and no blown 9th inning leads by Hoover or Iglesias to put them in a rut and bad run. Like clockwork they would blow a game and then go on a losing streak.

14. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-07-2021),RedsFanInMS (04-07-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (04-07-2021)

Dont gague your team based on the Pirates

16. Likes:

mgbrown66 (04-07-2021),RBA (04-07-2021),REDREAD (04-10-2021)

They have enough now to win this division, if the pitching shines it could be a great summer

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-07-2021),Ron Madden (04-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Dont gague your team based on the Pirates
    If the Pirates were a dog someone would be shooting them behind the barn before supper tonight

20. Likes:

Big Klu (04-07-2021),Chip R (04-08-2021),cumberlandreds (04-07-2021),JarrodOnVinyl (04-08-2021),Old school 1983 (04-07-2021),RedsFanInMS (04-07-2021),wolfboy (04-07-2021)

They'll come back to earth, of course. But the first hurdles-- Gray's back, Votto's COVID diagnosis, Shogo's hamstring, Winker's flu, Senzel's injury, Lorenzen's shoulder-- have all broken the Reds' way. Not only have the injuries/ issues been relatively minor, the replacements have delivered almost to a man. Hoffman won't have to pitch the entirety of the season like he did in his first start. Neither will DeLeon or Miley. They can be serviceable for another outing or two, then move to another role. (It'd be great if they could pitch like that all season, though.) Ditto with Naquin and Aquino in the OF. A bench duo capable of 6 HR and 16 RBI over a five-game stretch can literally carry teams to wins. So can a back end of a rotation who gives up a total of three runs and tosses 21 K's against 3 BBs in their three starts. That's fantastic production no one saw coming.

So, I'd argue, has the player development/ procurement process. Keeping Naquin over Payton couldn't have worked out better. Ditto Aquino over Heineman. Romano has been largely effective in the pen-- there was question who that last man might have been late in Spring Training. All have proven prudent and productive choices. Hoffman, Miley, and DeLeon were all castigated by we fans in Spring Training-- all have worked out incredibly well in their first six games. Krall has, so far, hit a tape measure HR this season.

The biggest reason I might have been light in my prediction, though, is in not recognizing the Reds' willingness to think outside the box with Suarez and the development of Jonathan India as a prospect. (Those two go hand in hand, IMO.) I never thought the Reds would actually try Suarez at SS when arguing just that in early March. His willingness to try it cemented a lineup of solid, professional hitters everywhere but LH catcher. (And Barnhart can get hot at times as well.) I also had no clue about India's development (and speed and baseball IQ and defense) into a solid major league player. That he seems to be ready right now has given Cincinnati yet another weapon in their everyday lineup. Not even the rosiest of Red fans could have predicted it, though. Our last view of India was as a struggling (and apparently injured) prospect in the AFL after the 2019 season. The pandemic masked his development.

They call me "chef"

The pitching still worries me. I can see the offense cooling and the starting rotation falling apart but who knows. Maybe the baseball gods are going to give the Reds that lucky break they give tons of teams every year where backup players rake, reclamation projects turn into solid #3 starters, and 2-3 rookies/young players blossom at the same time.

23. Likes:

Kinsm (04-08-2021)

The reds are better than the pirates. Lets see how they do against the rest of the league.

Personally I don't think it's a good team, but they play the games for a reason. I'm guessing the last time they got off to a start better than 5-1 was 1990.

You have to give them credit for what they do on the field. I would much rather be 5-1 than 1-5.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

25. Likes:

Falls City Beer (04-07-2021),Red Raindog (04-08-2021),REDREAD (04-10-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (04-07-2021)

it's so early but i'm ready to eat some crow for sure. who knows how it will turn out, but this team is better than i thought it would be. the reds absolutely need a healthy sonny gray and need for their big guns to stay healthy overall. if that happens, this team has what it takes.

also, another thing i overlooked was i fully believe that if this club is in contention near the deadline, the front office will make moves to improve the club and better position themselves for a playoff berth and then a postseason run.

also, the pirates would probably finish in last place in triple-A (other than maybe their own indianapolis indians) so we need to be careful not to celebrate too quickly. but damn this has been fun like M2 said and i'm extremely intrigued by this club.

I saw CTrent posted on Twitter before this game, the team's batted ball profile was remarkably similar to last year's. These 6 games are what happens when you get the opposite luck of what we saw last year.

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1379834899209805828

That said, I absolutely love the feeling of the lineup when Tyler Stephenson is playing, Senzel is in CF, and Geno is at SS. There's so much danger top to bottom.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

28. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-07-2021),CaiGuy (04-08-2021),CarolinaRedleg (04-08-2021),goreds2 (04-07-2021),M2 (04-07-2021),Old school 1983 (04-07-2021),pahster (04-08-2021),Ron Madden (04-07-2021),Tommyjohn25 (04-09-2021)

Turn Off Ads?