Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds for real?

Re: Are the Reds for real?

I take my Reds happiness in smaller seasons than 162 game ones. For however long it lasts, it sure is fun to watch. I think about 30 games will be enough for me to guess if they're for real.

2. Likes:

SirFelixCat (04-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I see nothing less than 115 wins this year and a 4 game sweep of some poor schlubs.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I haven't been this excited for a season's start in a long time. My expectations were incredibly low and I put 69 wins in the W/L thread. It's way too early to know anything at all, but I like the make up of the team. Bench players that are actually major league caliber is something we haven't seen in a long time. There is a nice blend of youth and veteran leadership and fire. These boys are excited and playing with intensity. I love it.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-10-2021)

What's crazy is that a lot of these same guys were the key contributors on a team that largely underperformed last year. What's even crazier is that those 2020 Reds didn't win their fifth game until August 3rd.
    Makes all the routine posts.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-10-2021),RichRed (04-07-2021)

I'm just going to enjoy the ride. If it goes off the rails at some point so be it. If it blows up into something historic it so be it. It's tough being a Reds fan most of the time so I intend to enjoy the hot start.

10. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (04-08-2021),Roy Tucker (04-07-2021),SirFelixCat (04-07-2021)

Got me. What I do know is this team is playing with a joy and intensity that has long been absent from these parts. Even on opening day, they didn't exactly lay down and accept getting whipped - they fought to make that a little bit of a game.

Also, the bench is legit. It has been a LONG time since that was a thing.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-07-2021)

I’ve always viewed it as a karma thing. If I predict a lousy season, it starts a negative vibe that oscillates out of kilter for the rest of the season. If I predict a good year, the vibe gets a universal harmonic and the season goes well.

It’s great power to determine the fate of the universe so I use it sparingly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

Banshee (04-08-2021),JFLegal (04-07-2021),Red Raindog (04-08-2021),Ron Madden (04-07-2021),The Operator (04-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Dont gague your team based on the Pirates
    But we beat the shat out of the Pirates which is what we're supposed to do to the doo doo teams. In past years we lose the series.

16. Likes:

Kinsm (04-08-2021),RedsLvr (04-07-2021)

I admit there's a little more bounce in my step right now. Kinda sad sports plays such a big part in my mood, but it's been a bugger of a year.

I am worried about Eugenio. I think he'll be adequate at SS, but he wasn't good at the plate last year, and more of the same this year. Thankfully, other bats are picking him up!

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-07-2021),Patrick Bateman (04-08-2021)

In what sense? I’m convinced we are all living in a simulation. Is anything real?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

This feels like a Cardinals season opening: Cy Young-like performances coming from absolutely nowhere, unheralded old farmhands turning into MVP performers.

Some of these bubbles will burst, some hopefully won’t. I’m just glad it’s us for once.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-07-2021),JarrodOnVinyl (04-08-2021),Patrick Bateman (04-08-2021),Playadlc (04-07-2021),Redsfaithful (04-08-2021),Revering4Blue (04-10-2021),Roy Tucker (04-07-2021),SirFelixCat (04-07-2021),The Operator (04-08-2021),Tom Servo (04-07-2021)

Depends on your definition of "for real". Is this a 100 win team? Almost certainly not. But I think something like 88-90 looks more possible than it did a week ago. You are correct to wait until Memorial Day before making a judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This feels like a Cardinals season opening
    I feel like this is the perfect answer to the question.

No one knows what will hold, but it would be pretty epic if Tyler Naquin had himself a 900 OPS season and Nick Senzel, Jonathan India, and Tyler Stephenson all turned into All-Star guys in the same season.

24. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-07-2021)

I know it’s way way early, but Naquin has a Josh Hamilton phenom vibe.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

There is a big difference between this season’s Reds and last season’s Reds. K rate. 25.2% last year. 20.6% this year. And this matches what we are seeing. More balls put into play. Granted, they are doing much better at balls in play, but I wouldn’t chalk that all up to luck. They are also pulling the ball less, and hitting more “medium” contact. This is the new approach that Larkin keeps talking about, less swinging from their heels, less focusing on launch angle, and more trying to hit line drives and hard ground balls.

I think once we look at the statcast numbers, we will see that difference. This new approach is paying off.
    Bingo. If you hit the ball rather than strike out trying to put one in the seats, good things will happen. The other thing they are doing is that they aren't playing station to station baseball waiting for a 3 run homer - and ironically, they are getting plenty of 3 run homers because of that style of play. Here's to hoping it continues.

Turn Off Ads?